Let's smile politely and pretend another Adam Goodes award makes sense

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 972281

I'm genuinely interested in any arguments out there as to how the Goodes painting is technically better than this incredible piece of art.
Not defending the Goodes painting but realism in painting has been considered pretty boring since the 1860s. Back then in all the Salon competitions the old guard were saying how crap Monet and the other impressionists were, because their paintings weren't realistic. Those critics were obviously on the wrong side of history, and that was 150 years ago. It's technically masterful to paint like Rembrandt but fairly dull at this point. The Goodes painting on the other hand... well, know one can accuse it of being realistic lololol.

You forgot the portraits of white man Bruce Pascoe who masquerades as an aboriginal (case of "black facing"?) who wrote the fictional Dark Emu. The portrait of him was fully "blacked him up". Just a disgrace.
I read Dark Emu... Then I read (bits of) the historical sources Pascoe uses, which are available at Dark Emu Exposed. I'm a lifelong leftie, and know that Dark Emu Exposed is run by hardcore rightwing accolytes of Andrew Bolt, but unfortunately in this case they are right. Pascoe continually, wilfully misrepresents the historical record (and his own ancestry). But so many people don't care if it fits their agenda.

It's technically masterful to paint like Rembrandt but fairly dull at this point.
Which is what gallery owners foisting the works of those they decide to promote for their own financial gain (regardless of ability) want you to think.

There's a sucker born every minute.

Which is what gallery owners foisting the works of those they decide to promote for their own financial gain (regardless of ability) want you to think.

Great use of "foisting", reminiscent of the great assistant foisting of Curb.... 1:50 in (but the whole thing is hilarious)

OK mate, glad you're here to help me better understand art. Can't believe I used to take the word of art historians.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have nothing against the subject matter but that's a comically bad painting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back