News Liam Jones retires from AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a positive post, so sorry to any Carlton fan who cries over hearing any one with a different opinion, but always thought he was overrated. Great one on one player when the ball was kicked on top of his head, but he just loved getting caught between the ball carrier and his opponent. One of the worst modern team defenders I’ve ever seen play. Had to always laugh when Carlton fans thought he was All-Australian worthy. One of the main reasons why Carlton have had some of the worst defences in the league in the past few years.

Football skill aside, what a dick head LOL. Good luck getting another job without being vaccinated.

He was great at some things. Elite spoil, read the play well and became a great interceptor in his past couple of seasons, but he had his weaknesses like any defender. Dunno if getting caught in uncomfortable defensive situations was entirely his fault though - that is partly a product of a poor defensive structure and the players around him not having the understanding or the mentality to cover.

In those scenarios the player on the last line always looks vulnerable.

He played as you’d expect a former leading forward would, and often that was to often our detriment. Lacked some nous at times, and was prone to the odd momentum killing howler. That being said he had surprisingly good skills at times and a beautiful 60m kick that kind of resembled a soccer goalies long reach for territory.

Dunno if he was ever an AA standard player, but he was at least a tier below.

He’s certainly replaceable though and long term it’s not the worst outcome for the club. I suspect the club has been working with him for a while on the decision and that is possibly why Young was brought across

Last edited:
We're all free to make our own decisions but every decision has consequences. So kudos to him for understanding the consequences of his decision and accepting it, but geez ... throwing away an AFL career over a jab that 95% of the population has accepted without fuss ... big call!! As others have said, for his sake, I hope his loss stays with just his career and covid doesn't let loose through his family

We have no idea what the long term effects of taking Vaccine/Booster shots are going to be. Why a and clearly young healthy person needs to be forced to take a Vaccine is beyond me, particularly if the Elderly/Vulnerable are already vaccinated.

This is simply unnecessary and the lack of dignity being shown to unvaccinated people in Victoria is shameful.

What are the long term effects of covid?

Yes, they do.

Drastically in fact at high rates of coverage, as we have seen with the steep decline in R_eff in both NSW and Victoria.

The issue is waning immunity. Prevention of asymptomatic spread is one of the first areas of protection to decline, which is why boosters are currently so important.

Hopefully he knows what he'll be doing for the next couple years, won't be enjoying the privileges that the rest of our society has helped maintain.
Shame, was a good example of resilience to forge out a career, did very well in the end.

Check the link in the post here.

I am lost in admiration for Liam Jones. Giving up his career and hundreds of thousands of dollars for his principles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The internet mob killed him without bothering to ask so we may well never know.
So just make up your own reason and run with that.
I’m sure there’s a very valid and medically sound reason not to, which is why his statement practically begged people not to ask him to provide it.

No one should be forced to do anything they choose not to. It's going to cost him his career but thats his choice. He's probably only got a year left anyway. If he was a recent draftee you'd hope someone would sit him down and talk to him but he's a 31 y.o man with a year or two to go.
Cool.

I'll tell my boss I can't be assed doing some things at work I don't like doing.

Personal choice.

Seriously though it's a shame to see Liam ending his career. He really made a good fist of it down back (pun intended) after being a fan punching bag as a fwd

Would be a big chance to play finals this year and I assumed he hasn't played many or even any?

I can theoretically understand someone who worried about long term health consequences avoiding the covid vaccine, but I don't understand how someone who is happy playing a sport where injury is pretty much guaranteed with death/long term disability possible retire because of health risks with the vaccine. I just don't get it.

Liam Jones 2019.

Its not a power grab by governments. Its democratically elected governments reading opinion polls and implementing what the majority want. A society with minimum risk of catching a highly contagious and deadly virus Whilst having no constraints on the way we actually live.

its how democracy works.

I’m sure they are enjoying their little kickbacks under the table, through manipulation and coercion of inducing fear.

The only time any politician acts, is when it benefits themselves. Democracy or communism, they both work just the same.

they prob think other companies will be lining up for their services… reality is gonna hit Hard when not a single company hires unvaccinated people

I work in mining in WA and a number of colleagues said a few weeks ago that they would have to start looking for a new industry because there is no way they're getting the jab.

McGowan has since mandated that industries employing about 75% of WA's workforce have to be vaccinated. Good luck to the nongs I'm working with that won't get it. It's sad, they've made their choices if they stay with them as they say they will, but I have zero sympathy for them, but I have plenty for their kids who will be the ones that bare the brunt of their choice.

At some point they've got to wake up to the fact that it's not all about them anymore, they have families to support. Take one for your families you dickheads and move on. I'd think more of them if they did this rather than continuing on their current courses.

He was great at some things. Elite spoil, read the play well and became a great interceptor in his past couple of seasons, but he had his weaknesses like any defender. Dunno if getting caught in uncomfortable defensive situations was entirely his fault though - that is partly a product of a poor defensive structure and the players around him not having the understanding or the mentality to cover.

In those scenarios the player on the last line always looks vulnerable.

He played as you’d expect a former leading forward would, and often that was to often our detriment. Lacked some nous at times, and was prone to the odd momentum killing howler at times. That being said he had surprisingly good skills at times and a beautiful 60m kick that kind of resembled a soccer goalies long reach for territory.

Dunno if he was ever an AA standard player, but he was at least a tier below.

He’s certainly replaceable though and long term it’s not the worst outcome for the club. I suspect the club has been working with him for a while on the decision and that is possibly why Young was brought across
Thanks for the write up, very insightful 👍

You have

Vaccination isn't mandatory.
However, one should expect to take responsibly for ones own actions or lack there of. Not demand that others take responsibility for them. That's just selfish and entitled.
Again, I hope your willful ignorance, driven by your lack of self esteem doesn't lead to harm for anyone in your orbit.
Please grow a brain and get vaccinated :)

Not mandatory in words. In actions it pretty much is. People being threatened with loss of jobs, being unable to see family and friends in other states by not being allowed to travel, potentially losing access to things which can add value to life, losing your home. As both federal and state governments apply pressure to businesses to force their vaccination goals. So for people to survive, they have to take it.

so maybe you need to remove your head from your own backside and stop preaching and rather than be told what to think, learn how to think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back