Coach Lions - Has the Fagan era already peaked?

Remove this Banner Ad

He can't get the Lions to make the next step because he is too soft on them. He refuses to send a message to the playing group when it comes to a player who obviously needs to be dropped. Always takes the easy option and drops a young player.

Great culture guy and would be an amazing assistant.

He isn't a head coach, has taken this team as far as they can go, I said on here after last year they should have offered the job to Clarko.

They will beat us at the Gabba next week as they do most teams but lose the big ones in Melbourne and crap all over the bed come finals.

It's now or never for the Lions and they are absolutely wasting this opportunity with Fagan as head coach.

I think he should get sacked if they don't make the grand final this year, providing they don't have an injury crisis that costs them top 4 or during the finals

That's the amazing thing aswell with this squad over the past 3 years, have mostly been injury free compared to majority of the competition.

I wouldn't be stressing yet

Let's see how they respond

They respond by going home and winning, they then lose the following week away and where saying the same thing.

They finish 4th or 5th and do nothing as usual.

That's how Brisbane Lions respond going on the evidence of the last 3 years.

So serious question.... Would Ross Lyon being the coach of Brisbane helped? LoL
Time will but I think blues missed a trick not signing him up.
Look what his doing with half a saints team.
Blues star studded team with RTB at the helm would have been amazing.
Also coaching a media darling like Carlton he would of finally got the kudos he deserves

Not sure if Daniher is selfish or just dumb

Incredibly selfish. Watched plenty of him at EFC and he's no different at Brisbane.

Wants to have fun flying for mark of the year and trying to kick unbelievable goals, no interest in being team focused or doing anything hard.

He's a monumental talent, at his best he's unstoppable, but not at all reliable and moving clubs hasn't changed that one iota.

The Big D, Dopey Danniher!

What a quarter last night!
Two nice sheepy shanks, then he passes off what he should kicked (because he lost confidence already), plus added bonus he has a crack from nowhere and BURNS motorcycle man Charles Cameron in the process.

Tore it up last week tho.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

0.4 last night.
Can we just say he's lacking in a critical skill as a forward?
Hipwood isn't a reliable kick either. You can carry one KPF who struggles in front of goal if the other can kick well.

You can't carry two, it just doesn't work.

It's pretty clear he's like Bernard Tomic, he hates the sport but is making too much to give it up. From him saying once he retired he wants nothing to do with the sport, to player testimony at Essendon like Brendon Goddard saying how he didn't want to do the extra 10% at training, just the bare minimum.

After Collingwood belt us tonight, I would not be at all surprised to see Brisbane then beat Collingwood at home next week.

Brisbane under Fagan is a very good team but like most non Vic teams winning away from home is tough. They need to finish top 2 and at 1-2 its most unlikely.

If I’m an opposition coach I’m pretty happy seeing Zac Bailey bashing and crashing in the midfield then hovering near goal.
Hard not to disagree. The brisbane board is more or less in agreement with you.

Rayner should be the point of difference, bullocking mid with class who can kick a goal in the Dusty, Bont, Petracca etc mould but they're wasting him at half back. Neale, Ashcroft, Rayner with McLuggage, Bailey and Zorko is a decent setup.
I disagree we are wasting him at half back. It has only been a short time but he has been more involved in the last 3 games down back in consecutive weeks, than anytime he has been playing forward or mid. Obviously we drafted him to be the type of player you mention but so far he hasn't shown he can do that. He's still young so he might be able to one day.

The can’t win away from home narrative is amusing.

In 2022 (where we finished 6th) we won 6 out of 11 games which required us to travel. Sydney who finished 3rd had one more win with 7 (and that is counting the win against GWS as a travel game, it would be 6 otherwise).

Collingwood won 3 out of 5 games which required travel.

So Collingwood has a similar percentage to Brisbane, but I suppose they don't travel enough for someone to make the same link.

Last edited:
0.4 last night.
Can we just say he's lacking in a critical skill as a forward?
Hipwood isn't a reliable kick either. You can carry one KPF who struggles in front of goal if the other can kick well.

You can't carry two, it just doesn't work.
Nek minnit Naughton out of bounds on the full from the same spot twice in a few minutes 😁

A few of us Geelong supporters see them as a budget version of what we used to be. Beat up on a few rubbish sides at home, have the odd big win against a contender - usually at home - but never really a true premiership threat, and it would show come finals.

The main difference is at least Geelong were coming off recent premierships before they became flakey and finals easy-beats, where as Brisbane have gone through 15 years of mediocrity to reach this premiership window, and it doesn't look like amounting to anything.

Only way forward is a change of coach for mine - Clarko would have been perfect, and would have helped eliminate the soft underbelly that they've got. Probably just try and find the next up and coming coach and surround him with a few hard-arses (Choco for example). It feels like it's all between the ears for this team.

The can’t win away from home narrative is amusing.

In 2022 (where we finished 6th) we won 6 out of 11 games which required us to travel. Sydney who finished 3rd had one more win with 7 (and that is counting the win against GWS as a travel game, it would be 6 otherwise).

Collingwood won 3 out of 5 games which required travel.

So Collingwood has a similar percentage to Brisbane, but I suppose they don't travel enough for someone to make the same link.

And yet we ALWAYS travel to Brisbane to play the Lions (13 out of the last 36 matches we've actually played the Lions at the G.......)

Don't get excited though...the stats about us playing SYDNEY are even more lop sided.

Seems the AFL likes to draw crowds in the non-AFL states....and when they want crowds...they send the Pies.

And yet we ALWAYS travel to Brisbane to play the Lions (13 out of the last 36 matches we've actually played the Lions at the G.......)

Don't get excited though...the stats about us playing SYDNEY are even more lop sided.

Seems the AFL likes to draw crowds in the non-AFL states....and when they want crowds...they send the Pies.

If the point you're trying to make is that Collingwood are hard done by with fixturing...oh my...you travel 5 times a season.

The last sentence is a good thing for Collingwood. More prime time exposure for a big Vic club.

Probably just try and find the next up and coming coach and surround him with a few hard-arses (Choco for example). It feels like it's all between the ears for this team.
Would have any ideas or suggestions around future up and coming head coaches for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back