Preview Lions v Suns Sunday 5th May @ 7.10 pm The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have 9 on the leadership group and this nine are regular senior players all with over 100 AFL games. Like another posted, I think that is too many.

IMO, not being able to beat or get close to GWS with arguably three of their better players missing, has me convinced we will struggle to get to 7th or 8th. We have some winnable games coming up, but from round 19 play Swans, Suns (Carrara), Saints (Marvel), Giants, Pies & Bombers, still a long way to go, but on current form how many of the last 6 games do we win?
If we're still playing current form by round 19, then the season is already a complete write-off so the last 6 rounds won't make a difference. If that is the case, we should be "playing the kids" at that stage to see if any of them really have what it takes and send our experienced players off for early surgery (and improving our draft hand ;)).

Last edited:
I was not all that impressed with the Sun's against the Eagles.
Yes they look fast and a bit flashy but it was against the Eagles.
The Eagles have senior players back and look better than last year. They could only get better.

The Sun's have 3 good consistent midfielders the same as us.
Witts is an excellent ruck so an advantage there.
Last year Oscar did well in the first game.
But Witt's dominated in the second game. Oscar off late in the 4th with an ankle injury.

The Sun's young top draft players are all getting a run.
Their form will be up and down.
Lions may also debut 1 or 2 but our guys at least are familiar with the game plan.

The Suns will be prone to turnovers while getting to know Hardwicks game plan as long as we apply sufficient pressure.

I don't think Neale will be tagged. Miller a run with role.
Dunkley was massive in the two Sun's games last year.
Match up on Rowell again I would think.

The season is on the line so the team just has to have a good win and I think they will.

On Lenovo TB-X606F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Definitely all for Ryan getting a go at the expense of Hipwood. He’s had enough chances of finding form in the seniors where he takes his spot for granted and only does something when he feels like it. I mean could Ryan really be any worse than any of Eric’s poor games?
Yes!
Ryan is a work in progress. I am supportive of the club recruiting him given our lack of key position prospects. Took a couple of contested marks against undersized vfl players this week.

Hippy is in a form slump but I believe he still does a reasonable amount of defensive work and often brings the ball to ground against two defenders. I agree body language can be off putting when he losses a contest.

Much prefer Morris as a third tall type which would take pressure off Joe and particularly Hippy when Joe goes into the ruck. During these periods Hippy is contesting against three kpds.

Last edited:

The continued call for Reville to come into the team puzzles me.

Firstly, is he actually eligible to be selected? As a Cat B rookie doesn't he need to be promoted onto the list to be selected? Is this correct? Or has this happened and I haven't heard? Please clarify.

Secondly, has his form and consistency actually earnt him a game in the firsts? Or is it that he looks nippy and exciting at times we should just give him a go? Are we back to gifting a player a game on speculation? If his form has been that good why hasn't he been promoted to the list if that's required? Would we be waiting for the midseason draft to see if other options are available to replace Kiddy and Doedee before doing so?

Firstly, is he actually eligible to be selected? As a Cat B rookie doesn't he need to be promoted onto the list to be selected? Is this correct? Or has this happened and I haven't heard? Please clarify.

Secondly, has his form and consistency actually earnt him a game in the firsts? Or is it that he looks nippy and exciting at times we should just give him a go? Are we back to gifting a player a game on speculation? If his form has been that good why hasn't he been promoted to the list if that's required? Would we be waiting for the midseason draft to see if other options are available to replace Kiddy and Doedee before doing so?

He is eligible - doesn't need to be promoted.

But I wouldn't be giving him a debut.

Yes Bruce Reville has been in fantastic form in the VFL, deserves a shot at it, he couldn't do any more, I would have him a mile in front of Jarryd Lyons who is just too slow for senior footy, also would prefer Reville over Tunstill, Ah Chee out and Reville in is a no brainer IMO.

Shadeau Brain's been tearing it up in the VFL as well but there isn't an opportunity down back for him at the moment.

I would also be giving Logan Morris a go over Darcy Gardiner up forward if the match committee want to stick to the 3 tall forwards set up.

Hipwood really should be dropped. Goes missing for 3 quarters of the game every week. The when he gets a chance directly in front he’s a 50/50 proposition. That’s not AFL standard. Time to give others a crack. It’s like we are playing 2 short in the forward line atm with him and Gardiner up there.

Even Fort looks more dangerous up forward than Hipwood. And in all honesty whenever he has been stationed forward Fort has actually done alright. I thought he provided a really good contest throughout the game against Collingwood.

Morris, Fort and Daniher rotating up forward would be my way to go this week. Have two rucks go up against Witts.

If Morris is cooked in the third qtr then bring some fresh legs on.

Ryan doing ok at reserves level but needs a couple more weeks to build fitness.

Hipwood really should be dropped. Goes missing for 3 quarters of the game every week. The when he gets a chance directly in front he’s a 50/50 proposition. That’s not AFL standard. Time to give others a crack. It’s like we are playing 2 short in the forward line atm with him and Gardiner up there.

Even Fort looks more dangerous up forward than Hipwood. And in all honesty whenever he has been stationed forward Fort has actually done alright. I thought he provided a really good contest throughout the game against Collingwood.

Morris, Fort and Daniher rotating up forward would be my way to go this week. Have two rucks go up against Witts.

Really don't understand the irrational criticism of Hipwood

Fort a better forward?

Really don't understand the irrational criticism of Hipwood

Fort a better forward?
I said Fort looks more dangerous atm. Not that he’s a better forward.

Hipwood has been poor this year and in my opinion doesn’t deserve a spot in the side. A player of his size and speed should be kicking bags. Not scrapping the odd goal here and there. I would love to know how many contests he actually gets to per week.

He is eligible - doesn't need to be promoted.

But I wouldn't be giving him a debut.

I tend to sit on the very conservative side of bringing players in from the VFL, especially new to the list yet to debut. I generally believe dropping players for VFL players is a waste of time. But with our injuries, especially now that ah Chee is out…I genuinely think he has shown senior level footy ability.

I have Smith and Brain and to a lesser extent morris in the conversation for a game. But I see reville as well above those guys and potentially someone who could get a game and not come out of the seniors.

Hipwood has been poor this year and in my opinion doesn’t deserve a spot in the side. A player of his size and speed should be kicking bags. Not scrapping the odd goal here and there. I would love to know how many contests he actually gets to per week.

If you're on playing key forwards who regularly kick bags there'd only be 5 or 6 in the AFL

Playing Fort forward has been tried and it failed. I think you forget how bad it looked when we tried the two rucks with fort forward strategy. I like fort but he isn’t a better ruck than O and isn’t a better or more dangerous forward than Eric. It is what it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Playing Fort forward has been tried and it failed. I think you forget how bad it looked when we tried the two rucks with fort forward strategy. I like fort but he isn’t a better ruck than O and isn’t a better or more dangerous forward than Eric. It is what it is.
I actually think Oscar is a better forward than Fort too.

I do think that rucks popping into the forward line for a few minutes often looks dangerous as they often get mismatches and are random. But when played a full game they dont do anywhere near as well. Defenders know how to play them better

If you're on playing key forwards who regularly kick bags there'd only be 5 or 6 in the AFL
I’m happy if he kicks 3. I’ll consider that a good day out for him. So far hasn’t done it once. And he’s been kept goalless twice amongst barely getting a kick in a few games.

Make him earn his spot and money. He’s not alone either, we could be talking about most of the forwards. Unfortunately we don’t have a lot banging down the door in the vfl. But Morris can’t do much more for his age. I don’t care so much about Fort forward, even just throw a small up there to help our ground balls.

The other thing is there is no point in us playing 3 talls anyway if our delivery is poor. Might as well drop one and go smaller since the ball is being kicked to grass a lot.

I’m happy if he kicks 3. I’ll consider that a good day out for him. So far hasn’t done it once. And he’s been kept goalless twice amongst barely getting a kick in a few games.

Make him earn his spot and money. He’s not alone either, we could be talking about most of the forwards. Unfortunately we don’t have a lot banging down the door in the vfl. But Morris can’t do much more for his age. I don’t care so much about Fort forward, even just throw a small up there to help our ground balls.

The other thing is there is no point in us playing 3 talls anyway if our delivery is poor. Might as well drop one and go smaller since the ball is being kicked to grass a lot.

Huh? He’s kicked 3 twice this year

Again the irrational criticism of Hipwood continues….

Huh? He’s kicked 3 twice this year

Again the irrational criticism of Hipwood continues….
Yep my mistake. I still think he’s been very poor this season but I’d love for him to prove me wrong. Nothing against the guy but I’m just not a huge fan and think he should be doing a lot more.

The ball is coming out of fwd50 way too easily... That's not Eric's fault.... He is probably the biggest VICTIM of poor team pressure and forward/mid defence... There are a lot of guys not putting in.... I'd definitely play at least one or two young guys like Prior and Robertson (inj?) They put everything out there.... Teams at this level must have unquestioned desperation for the ball.

The ball is coming out of fwd50 way too easily... That's not Eric's fault.... He is probably the biggest VICTIM of poor team pressure and forward/mid defence... There are a lot of guys not putting in.... I'd definitely play at least one or two young guys like Prior and Robertson (inj?) They put everything out there.... Teams at this level must have unquestioned desperation for the ball.

This is a whole lot of covfefe

Yes, drop the one that isn't a forward though. Don't think this is complicated.

We get nothing out of dizzy offensively and our forward pressure is worse than last year. Easy fix.

It sinks that Cam might have to play taller for periods as at this point we may as well just keep giving him lots of midfield minutes, but don't think we have many other options unless we go for Morris, Ryan, Smith etc.

Yes, drop the one that isn't a forward though. Don't think this is complicated.

We get nothing out of dizzy offensively and our forward pressure is worse than last year. Easy fix.

It sinks that Cam might have to play taller for periods as at this point we may as well just keep giving him lots of midfield minutes, but don't think we have many other options unless we go for Morris, Ryan, Smith etc.
If Fagan et al were to step back and let the playing list decide who would be playing and what positions and roles they would have ... I wonder if it would be much different...

Hipwood in the last two or maybe three games in the first quarter misses goals that are dead set directly in front and is the epitome of momentum killer. Look at the set shots the GWS boys were nailing and poor old Eric is missing sitters regularly in front that junior park players are easily converting. Was the same against Carlton missing one from 25m on a slight angle. That then doesn’t include everything else you rightly spoke of.

AFL saving the best game of the round til last. No doubt Hardwick will be thinking a Q Clash at 7.10pm on a Sunday is bigger than any Dreamtime game he's ever been part of.

Suns are on a 1-0 winning streak versus us, last time saluting in front of a big crowd of 14,097 on a late Saturday afternoon at Metricon. On current form, and a shithouse time lot, we'll probably get around the same (the 1, 2 and 3 year members dropping off for at least the time being).

Miller (3 Brownlow votes), Flanders and Anderson only had 90 touches between them last time out, while Ben King kicked 5 (his equal highest tally for the year, other being against Norf), getting the 1 vote. Matt Rowell didn't see much of the pill but managed 13 tackles, enough to secure him the 2 votes.

We managed to kick 4 goals after QT (story of our year this year), with GC piling on 13.

Aside from the fact he's an average ruck at best, Oscar back in makes us slightly less vulnerable; so I'm tipping GC to only knock us off by 3 goals (6 goals without Oscar); despite us having an equal number of scoring shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back