List Cleanup for 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Getting rid of suban and danyle is a must. trading Sheridan would be welcomed. He is the definition of inconsistency, goes missing for large patches of games and simply hasn't come on. Depth player maybe, but if we can get something we should.

MJ has looked cooked for weeks now. Perhaps with Dawson gone, he should play another year to guide the backs and be back up. My preference is to move him on and play any of Collins, Cox or Alex Pearce in his place. Yes I know that Collins isn't the same type of player, but he may allow someone else to be the peel off option. MJ just doesn't provide any run or creativity like he used too.
Getting rid of Danyle may be a "must" but given he is contracted and we have a raft of players to shift out, there are probably other "musts" which are more important.

Re MJ, I would think the club is getting as much intel as they can on A Pearce and Uber in terms of their likely injury situation. If it is optimistic, then there is no point in MJ staying.

Have you considered who's coming through next year??

Every year it's the same.

But, no I'm not overly worried about 2018. Personally I'd rather be stock piling picks as opposed to trading future ones, but no one is leaving our club or not anyone of significant value.

Obviously we can just get Matera for a nominal pick if we desire. it was more about me trying to secure some of those early 2nd that GC have a few of.

I'm also sure we could get the McGovern deal done in isolation too.

Strongly linked to Matera and McGovern. Those are the 2 strong links.

So how do we get this done?

Firstly, I'm going to assume Melbourne get Lever and it's for their 2017 first ~ 11.

Now, we need to deal with Matera first and gather some leverage. I proposed this before and I say we offer up our 2018 first for Matera and 2 early 2nd rounders. GC have many picks inside top 50. This looks like a horrible deal, but it provides us with bargaining chips for McGovern. We may need to throw some later picks to GC for numbers, but nothing before 3rd rounder.

Next, we trade pick 5 and one of GCs early 2nds (~21) for pick 11, 34 (Adelaides 2nd) and McGovern. It values McGovern at exactly 21, but more importantly sees Adelaide with a top 5 pick and the ability to get Fogarty.

What's it all mean?
We lose pick 5 and our future 2018 1st.

We gain pick 11 (Naughton still a chance) pick ~ 22 (other GC 2nd), pick 34, Matera and McGovern.
This could be simpler, and I really don't see why you want to deal with Matera first.

Pick 5 for McGovern and pick 11. Pick 11 to snag Naughton, so no deal there for Matera (I did like the suggestion of pick 11 for Wilson and pick 18ish).

Matera is a third rounder for me. Unconvincing and injury prone, and doesn't contribute much in the midfield. Small forwards often go in that type of draft zone anyway.

This could be simpler, and I really don't see why you want to deal with Matera first.

Pick 5 for McGovern and pick 11. Pick 11 to snag Naughton, so no deal there for Matera (I did like the suggestion of pick 11 for Wilson and pick 18ish).

Matera is a third rounder for me. Unconvincing and injury prone, and doesn't contribute much in the midfield. Small forwards often go in that type of draft zone anyway.

Yeah, you're right. Just trying to load up on picks. I'm basing that on hopefully a stack of players going at seasons end and the need to draft in a few.

More of a sum of all parts trade with Matera as opposed to just getting him with say pick 57.

I still think we need to downgrade McGovern and a downgrade of just 5 to 11? Yeah probably not quite enough to satisfy Adelaide, but probably decent enough to get it done.

Hope we don't have to use our first rounder on him though. That would be a bit of a disaster.
Agreed.
I would also like to see us very strongly placed for next years draft which looks to have some special talent.
Jason is obviously an automatic and if we're fortunate a real bargain.

Ibbotson, Spurr and Suban will definitely be staying, unless Suban is traded which is unlikely.

Ballantyne and Johnson are a problem because they're not the type of people to move on for the benefit of the team. I think they should take inspiration from D Pearce who has actually conceded his playing future.

Sutcliffe and Sheridan should be used for getting us picks - although I don't blame anyone for not wanting them. Unless they get traded this year they should be delisted by the end of next year so that's a relief of certainty.

Sadly we can't move on too many people; although the lock-ins will be: Balic, D Pearce, Clarke, Dawson, Griffin and Yarran. I'm not sure if any of our Rookies will get delisted. I don't keep up with them.

Ibbo definitely staying you think? I would have thought missing out basically all year whilst we play a bunch of kids in the backline means he is in all sorts of trouble come the end of the year.

The only way pick 5 is traded for a player is if that player is Hogan. I could see us downgrading our first round to Adelaide (assuming Melb pick 11) to get Naughton and McGovern.

How are Adelaide on their half back stocks? Spurr could come into consideration?

Add Sutty to that list to.

Adelaide can't expect much for a 350k player

The only way pick 5 is traded for a player is if that player is Hogan. I could see us downgrading our first round to Adelaide (assuming Melb pick 11) to get Naughton and McGovern.

How are Adelaide on their half back stocks? Spurr could come into consideration?

Add Sutty to that list to.

Adelaide can't expect much for a 350k player

Probably the team that needs them the least out of the entire competition. Sans maybe West Coast.

McGovern is 22, can take a mark, is over 190 and has a 30 goal season under his belt already. A 3rd or a player who will be de-listed in a year does not get you that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure we need Naughton, no matter how good he is. We need a key forward and some midfield depth with size. Alot of our current mids (Hill, Neale, Walters (prefer fwd btw)) and prospects (Weller, Tucker, Crozier?) are undersized and look to stay that way I think.
On looking thru our list again we are desperately short of players who can run through the midfield. Stephen Hill needs to get back outside also where he can be most damaging, I am sick of seeing him get the ball and handball it off to some chump, he needs to be receiving and kicking.

Players out the door in this order I think
Yarran
Ibbo
Dawson
Z Clarke
Griffin
MJ
Spurr-we can cover him easy with Ryan, Nyhuis, Hughes + plenty others
Balic - trade for player
D Pearce - pay out contract

Suban
Ballantyne
Sandi
Mundy
Sheridan
Sutcliffe

We also have possible losses in 2018 Taberner, Collins (will they get up to scratch), Ubergang, Duman (unknowns) Grey, DeLuca (don't rate/can't kick).

Thats 15-20 players I think we need to shed in 2 years, that is a shed load!!

We are gonna be wallowing near the bottom until at least past these 2 year I reckon.

Not sure we need Naughton, no matter how good he is. We need a key forward and some midfield depth with size. Alot of our current mids (Hill, Neale, Walters (prefer fwd btw)) and prospects (Weller, Tucker, Crozier?) are undersized and look to stay that way I think.
On looking thru our list again we are desperately short of players who can run through the midfield. Stephen Hill needs to get back outside also where he can be most damaging, I am sick of seeing him get the ball and handball it off to some chump, he needs to be receiving and kicking.
Don't know who the chump is , all I know S.hill after his hamstring injury vs north Melbourne , he avoid contact and not a good kick of the ball. The players that play outside and receive the ball the ball the most will be B.hill.

Players out the door in this order I think
Yarran
Ibbo
Dawson
Z Clarke
Griffin
MJ
Spurr-we can cover him easy with Ryan, Nyhuis, Hughes + plenty others
Balic - trade for player
D Pearce - pay out contract

Suban
Ballantyne
Sandi
Mundy
Sheridan
Sutcliffe

We also have possible losses in 2018 Taberner, Collins (will they get up to scratch), Ubergang, Duman (unknowns) Grey, DeLuca (don't rate/can't kick).

Thats 15-20 players I think we need to shed in 2 years, that is a shed load!!

We are gonna be wallowing near the bottom until at least past these 2 year I reckon.
Agree with the 2017 list except Spurr - he is contracted and in the leadership group. I'd be very surprised if he was moved on this year.

Think we will retain at least 1 of Sherro or Sutty long term too (unless somebody trades for them). Backing Duman and 1 of Grey/Deluca to make the cut. Josh more likely I think.

Revised clean up

Retire:
Mj
Spurr
Ibbotson
D Pearce
Dawson

Trade/delist:
Suban
Sutcliffe
Sheridan
Balic
Langdon
Z clarke

Would like to see what we could get for a few in trades to improve the depth in our list in the coming trade period. Personally I think we need to stock up on picks in the draft and get as high up in the draft order as possible. Maybe combining the likes of a pick for balic in the 40 odd and another from another trade could be swapped for a higher pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back