List Mgmt. List Management 2024-25

Remove this Banner Ad

In the afl trade article it says isaac cumming isn't rushing to sign a contract. He's out of the start of the season with a quad injury and looking to move forward to wing to find a spot in the team. Hes an unrestricted free agent. He's a role player but I suppose that is what ufas are for.

Stengle is an unrestricted free agent and need.

Hayward would be a decent fit although more likely to go to the crows. (His role is a better fit at port)

Graham or Parfitt would be great as depth for a couple of years and leaders of the magpies if that was something they wanted.

Phillipou is a weird one. I really like him as a player, liked him as a junior, and he’s a big port fan. He’s coming occ and I think the last high draft pick from that draft who hasn’t extended. He looks a real chance to leave right now.

But there’s some real issues about recruiting him

1. He’s currently a half forward flanker , who some hope will turn into a midfielder. Maybe he does maybe he doesn’t, I’m not sure, but thanks to the high draft pick saints paid for him they’ll want “midfield potential” trade value paid for him.

As a hff with his returns, he really shouldn’t be worth more than a pick between 20-30. A good case in point is spp, whose trade value (if ooc) we would get for him would be a 2nd rounder at best, 3rd + steak knives if a team wanted to * us over.

But the asking price for phillipou cause of recent draft pick + “midfield potential” + vic club dealing with interstate club media push would likely be 2 first rounders or the equivalent and have to work down from there.

We don’t have anything like that of course, and as I’m a fan of phillipou I’m still not sure about his midfield potential and damn sure I’m not paying through the roof for a flanker unless said flanker is elite.

2. Fit / need. Whether he’s a hff or an onballer I’m not sure where he fits. I’m not sure we would be crying out for a tall marking flanker if we’re playing 3 key forwards. I’m personally ok with trying 3 talls + a tall flanker but I don’t think our club would do that. As an onballer he’s competing with a lot of other far better young mids. I’m more than okay with finding out how he fits, not sure if I want to pay through the roof for a guy we don’t know exactly how he fits.

I would like phillipou at the club. I’m not sure we need phillipou at the club for the price he would cost.

You just named several guys we picked up as delisted players, not free agents.

You’re not helping your argument.

Jhf got replaced by a flanker cause we’re already midfielder heavy in our 22.
Yea Mattes feels like a happy to have rather than a need. Think he and JHF would be competing for spots - midfield and rotate/rest forward. And your spot on - cost would be through the roof.

I think you missed my point - Schulz said they aren’t worthwhile targets as they aren’t in their first 22 and therefore wouldn’t be in our first 22. I was saying that players that have not been in their pre trade team’s first 22, have gone on to be impactful in our 22. So whether they are or are not in their first 22 is not so relevant. Also Sav we traded for.

I was told on Monday that Phillipou hasn't signed his new contract yet, still only on his initial automatic 2 year contract.

Is this a well known thing, or has it been ignored in the media?

I was told on Monday that Phillipou hasn't signed his new contract yet, still only on his initial automatic 2 year contract.

Probably an indication of how much even the Vic media cares about St Kilda.

Oh well, Eric Bana loves them.

Ignored at this stage, was talk last year about an extension - but nothing came of it..
He’s done some good things, but not consistently as yet..

Kysaiah Picket would be an unbelievably perfect fit for our team at the moment. It would be like when Melbourne got Steven May.

And Mattaes Phillipou, a huge Port fan, would be an enormous get for his flexibility and potential for the midfield. He would take a bit more time but he would be a great get.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kysaiah Picket would be an unbelievably perfect fit for our team at the moment. It would be like when Melbourne got Steven May.

And Mattaes Phillipou, a huge Port fan, would be an enormous get for his flexibility and potential for the midfield. He would take a bit more time but he would be a great get.
Where would he fit? We aren’t dropping McIntee for him… Willie would hold his position.

Plenty of fringe players go on to be significant at another club. Frampton and Markov are premiership players. Tom Mitchell won a Brownlow medal. Ratugolea was fringe at Geelong. Soldo and Sweet were second or later ruck choices at their previous clubs. Not sure what being fringe has to do with anything.

Whether we have a space and need for them is another matter.

We are reliant on Sinn, Lorenz, Charleston, Jackson, Anastasopoulos, Burgoyne and Mead coming along to fill wing and midfield needs. Sinn and Burgoyne are more half backs whilst Charleston and Anastasopoulos are more small forwards. So really it’s Mead, Jackson, maybe Sinn and Narkle to cover our midfield. How long do Boak and Wines go on? Does Narkle get another year? Can Sinn and Jackon get over their injuries and develop into something?

We have a second round pick. A free agent or DFA sounds like a sound way to get depth without needing trade or draft capital.

This year we should be going all out to get a DFA and get a player in a vic top heavy draft and unless we absolutely hit the jackpot we should consider trading that player and Sinn and maybe a pick to maybe shake loose Phillipou / NWM

The irony is we originally had the picks to get Pickett/Phillipou. Missing out on NWM by a pick sucked.

Good strategy bringing in young talent now so we don’t have to draft during the tassie inception years

Plenty of fringe players go on to be significant at another club. Frampton and Markov are premiership players. Tom Mitchell won a Brownlow medal. Ratugolea was fringe at Geelong. Soldo and Sweet were second or later ruck choices at their previous clubs. Not sure what being fringe has to do with anything.

Whether we have a space and need for them is another matter.

We are reliant on Sinn, Lorenz, Charleston, Jackson, Anastasopoulos, Burgoyne and Mead coming along to fill wing and midfield needs. Sinn and Burgoyne are more half backs whilst Charleston and Anastasopoulos are more small forwards. So really it’s Mead, Jackson, maybe Sinn and Narkle to cover our midfield. How long do Boak and Wines go on? Does Narkle get another year? Can Sinn and Jackon get over their injuries and develop into something?

We have a second round pick. A free agent or DFA sounds like a sound way to get depth without needing trade or draft capital.

Tom Mitchell wasn’t fringe. He’s a high end mid at the end of his career sold off by a bottom dwelling team to a team where he would start.

Parfitt and Graham are not that.

Esava was a player we were bringing in to a position we needed filling in the 22, and has been developing as a defender. How well it turns out we’re yet to see but he was a need.

You keep referring to delisted free agents as if that’s relevant to your suggestion we go after two free agents.

Sure I would take either on delisted free agent type money 1-2 year contracts to play sanfl but they’re not moving in free agency for that. Parfitt is a restricted free agent (lol).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back