List of 2017 Free Agents (Updated list in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I made the 2016 list around this time last year so I've decided to do it again. List of 2017 free agents:

Adelaide
Sam Shaw - Restricted (8 years)
Andy Otten - Unrestricted (10 years)

Brisbane
Claye Beams - Restricted (8 years)
Ryan Harwood - Restricted (8 years)
Tom Rockliff - Restricted (9 years)

Carlton
Levi Casboult - Restricted (8 years)
Simon White - Restricted (8 years)

Matthew Kreuzer - Unrestricted (10 years)
Kade Simpson - Unrestricted (15 years)

Collingwood
Lachlan Keeffe - Restricted (9 years)
Ben Sinclair - Restricted (8 years)
Josh Thomas - Restricted (8 years)

Tyson Goldsack - Unrestricted (11 years)

Essendon
Ben Howlett - Restricted (9 years)
David Zaharakis - Restricted (9 years)
Heath Hocking - Unrestricted (12 years)

Brent Stanton - Unrestricted (14 years)
Jobe Watson - Unrestricted (15 years)

Fremantle
Hayden Ballantyne - Restricted (9 years)
Nathan Fyfe - Restricted (8 years)
Nick Suban - Restricted (9 years)

Garrick Ibbotson - Unrestricted (14 years)
Michael Johnson - Unrestricted (14 years)

David Mundy - Unrestricted (12 years)
Aaron Sandilands - Unrestricted (16 years)

Geelong
Josh Cowan - Restricted (8 years)
Daniel Menzel - Restricted (8 years)
Steven Motlop - Restricted (9 years)

Tom Lonergan - Unrestricted (15 years)
Andrew Mackie - Unrestricted (15 years)

Gold Coast

nil

GWS
nil

Hawthorn
Shaun Burgoyne - Restricted (8 years)
Taylor Duryea - Restricted (8 years)
Josh Gibson - Restricted (8 years)
Ryan Schoenmakers - Restricted (9 years)

Luke Hodge - Unrestricted (16 years)

Melbourne
Jack Trengove - Restricted (8 years)
Jake Spencer - Unrestricted (10 years)

North Melbourne
Lachlan Hansen - Unrestricted (11 years)
Scott Thompson - Unrestricted (10 years)

Port Adelaide
Jasper Pittard - Restricted (8 years)

Jackson Trengove - Restricted (9 years)
Justin Westhoff - Unrestricted (11 years)

Richmond
Dustin Martin - Restricted (8 years)

St Kilda
Sean Dempster - Unrestricted (10 years)
Sam Gilbert - Unrestricted (12 years)
Leigh Montagna - Unrestricted (16 years)
Nick Riewoldt - Unrestricted (17 years)

Sydney
Sam Reid - Restricted (8 years)
Heath Grundy - Unrestricted (13 years)
Jarrad McVeigh - Unrestricted (14 years)

West Coast
Josh Kennedy - Unrestricted (10 years)
Mark LeCras - Unrestricted (13 years)
Eric Mackenzie - Unrestricted (11 years)
Matt Priddis - Unrestricted (12 years)

Western Bulldogs
Liam Picken - Restricted (8 years)
Matthew boyd - Unrestricted (16 years)

Dale Morris - Unrestricted (13 years)
Robert Murphy - Unrestricted (18 years)

Last edited:

Gold Coast have got to start having some players that are free agents like Swallow who started a year earlier then Rockiff
The only players at the Gold Coast that would be eligible for free agency in 2017 are Charlie Dixon, Rory Thompson, Zac Smith and Danny Stanley. However, we don't know how long their next contract extension will be so we can't add them to the list until we know their contract is expiring in 2017. 2018 will be the tough year for the Gold Coast because around 60% of their list will become eligible for free agency, presuming they don't change the rules between now and then.

Wouldn't mind Hawthorn having a go at Zaharakis? would he want much money? 400K? I think we will need to recruit a ready made midfielder in mid 20's to help the transition from Hodge, Mitchell etc. to the younger fellas'. Would help us keep in that premiership window, if we still are in 2 years time.

Would Hawthorn get a first round compensation for Bruest?
Looking unlikely. The AFLPA looks likely to get their way and reduce the amount of years required to be eligible for free agency. That would make Bruest an unrestricted free agent in 2017 and compensation for unrestricted free agents is very likely to be removed in the near future.

Just thinking about it, we might have a 2010 LeBron James situation on our hands with the 2017 crop of AFL free agents. In the years building up to the 2010 NBA free agency period several clubs cleared as much salary cap room as possible to chase LeBron James. James was the best player in the league for at least two seasons leading up to his departure and he eventually ended up at Miami. It ended up paying off as Miami won two championships in the four seasons James was playing for them. In this situation, Nat Fyfe would be the LeBron James of the 2017 AFL free agency class. Fyfe is arguably already the best player in the game and has his eyes set on 2017:
Fremantle's star midfielder signed the new three-year deal on Wednesday, believed to be worth around $2.5 million.

"I think it suits both sides," Fyfe said on Thursday.

"Obviously commercially with the free agency window, it brings me out as an eight-year player, and Fremantle will have the first option to retain me as a free agent.
So, according to reports, Fyfe is already on about 830k a year. He will turn 26 just before the 2017 free agency period occurs and logic would dictate he should continue to improve as he enters his physical peak. Will Fremantle's premiership window still be open by the end of 2017? Possibly but unlikely given the age of their list. Clubs still have two off seasons between now and then to gear up for a crack at Fyfe and that's more than enough time to prepare.

The 2010 NBA free agency period was known for the formation of the Big 3 (Bosh, James and Wade) and there are also quality players to be found outside of Fyfe in 2017. Dustin Martin, Tom Rockliff and David Zaharakis to name a few. Landing Fyfe and one of those three I just mentioned would make a huge difference to some teams. You would probably need to clear about $2.5 million to have a shot at achieving that but I reckon it's probably worth it for some of the teams in the league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't updated the OP in a while but if the AFLPA get their way later this year by reducing the amount of years required to become a free agent from 8 to 6 then these then the Gold Coast and GWS stand to lose the most out of the situation:

Gold Coast
Jarrod Harbrow - Restricted (7 years)
Brandon Matera - Restricted (7 years)
Steven May - Restricted (7 years)
Trent McKenzie - Restricted (7 years)
Michael Rischitelli - Restricted (7 years)
Henry Schade - Restricted (6 years)
Matt Shaw - Restricted (7 years)
Davis Swallow - Restricted (7 years)

Greater Western Sydney
Stephen Coniglio - Restricted (6 years)
Will Hoskin-Elliott - Restricted (6 years)
Adam Kennedy - Restricted (6 years)
Rhys Palmer - Restricted (6 years)
Jonathan Patton - Restricted (6 years)
Tom Scully - Restricted (6 years)
Dylan Shiel - Restricted (6 years)
Devon Smith - Restricted (6 years)

The AFL may turn down the idea just purely based on the potential damage it could do to the new expansion clubs.

Anyone else get the feeling the Dockers are going to struggle to hang on to Fyfe next year?

Anyone else get the feeling the Dockers are going to struggle to hang on to Fyfe next year?

We'll be able to match any offer. Who else are we paying decent coin to?

We'll clear out a fair few mature players over the next 2-3 years too. If the rumours about us trying to rebuild through the draft are accurate, then we'd be able to keep some serious coin.

I had greater fears on Neale leaving. Fyfe leaving? Yeah don't think so in the slightest.

We'll be able to match any offer. Who else are we paying decent coin to?

We'll clear out a fair few mature players over the next 2-3 years too. If the rumours about us trying to rebuild through the draft are accurate, then we'd be able to keep some serious coin.

I had greater fears on Neale leaving. Fyfe leaving? Yeah don't think so in the slightest.
But does he want to be a part of a rebuilding phase in his peak years? I'm certain he could earn $1 milllion+ at a Melbourne-based club that is a better chance for finals going into the future than Freo is.

But does he want to be a part of a rebuilding phase in his peak years? I'm certain he could earn $1 milllion+ at a Melbourne-based club that is a better chance for finals going into the future than Freo is.

I think it would be a quick rebound. We've been bad, but had heaps out this year. Obviously our wins were against the worst sides in Essendon, Brisbane and Port.

I don't think many leave for certain success. I mean many had Port doing well after their prelim against the Hawks, but they've proved to be a bit of a spud of a side that had 1 year out of the box.

Surely not all of those listed under 10 years of service at their current club are all in the top 25% of earners... wouldn't think that henderson, beams, colyer would be, I'd imagine that bruest would be pretty touch and go for top 11 paid at the hawks as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back