LIVE: Draft day discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I predict it'll be a case of "we rated him in the top 10, so getting him for a pair of second round picks was a bargain."

Arguing whether our rating is correct is valid, but the trade would follow from that rating so it's hard to argue about the trade.
You are also assuming that Port or whoever else say they traded that pick to was definitely going to draft Robertson. I don't think that was the case and we should've just rolled the dice. I'm sure I'll find out soon enough the reasoning, but at this early stage, I think we should have just retained our pick and we may have got Robertson anyways.

You are also assuming that Port or whoever else say they traded that pick to was definitely going to draft Robertson. I don't think that was the case and we should've just rolled the dice. I'm sure I'll find out soon enough the reasoning, but at this early stage, I think we should have just retained our pick and we may have got Robertson anyways.

I think it is almost certain that Port was auctioning the pick off to whoever wanted Robertson the most. That's the sensible thing to do, and it's what teams do in the NFL in a similar trading set-up (rounds split across multiple days) all the time. He was the obvious choice to get a premium on their pick for.

I think it is almost certain that Port was auctioning the pick off to whoever wanted Robertson the most. That's the sensible thing to do, and it's what teams do in the NFL in a similar trading set-up (rounds split across multiple days) all the time. He was the obvious choice to get a premium on their pick for.
I still think that is an awfully big assumption to make that Robertson was the consensus first pick for whoever had the pick.

Yup, and we clearly wanted him. Port weren't going to take him, but Port were going to trade that pick to someone, and that someone would take him. We would have done the math on how highly we rated him vs the next player we would pick if we let it be and decided to jump. We had to trade not because we needed the pick, but because we needed to block another club from trading into that spot. Probably paid a touch over to make it happen, as we would have had to have been the highest bidder. But we will back in our valuation of him as a player.

Overall the trading probably was a bit meh, but we have had some very very good trading the past few years that has worked out for us. Unfortunately things didn't fall for us this year, we were just out of reach of the sliding player we wanted, then had bids on our academy player 1 pick before hand forcing us to trade back and out of this years draft to save what value we could. We were put in an awkward spot and had to make do with what we could.

End of the day, if both Robertson and Smith end up as quality players and Coleman adds something then overall we will still view this as a win. Sometimes you have to judge on how things actually are, not what they could have been.

I still think that is an awfully big assumption to make that Robertson was the consensus first pick for whoever had the pick.

Can only go off the general talk and media coverage as we aren't privy to the talks that clubs have among themselves to know for sure. But there certainly is enough talk and media coverage that he was the player in demand.

I guess you'll have to live with that doubt for the rest of your days. If he turns into a player though, does it really matter? recruiters guaranteed they got the standout player they wanted, instead of another player further down their pecking order.

The only other way to view the Robertson trade will be in 5 years time when we could compare the careers of Robertson vs whoever was the next highest rated player we would have taken with our original pick.

At least we have created some extra picks next year which could work in our favour for trades with players matching academy points. If there is a year to have a bunch of later picks, it is probably then.

Still have to remember we have got a kid who won the larke medal , broke record for most possessions and was captain of wa and been rated as one of the best junior leaders that Ablett has seen . He is going to learn his craft off guys like Neale and Zorko and I think is a great get . We get a player rated in the top 10 of the draft and have come out with an extra first rounder next year . Port pick could be anywhere from about 7-12 I reckon .

Still have to remember we have got a kid who won the larke medal , broke record for most possessions and was captain of wa and been rated as one of the best junior leaders that Ablett has seen . He is going to learn his craft off guys like Neale and Zorko and I think is a great get . We get a player rated in the top 10 of the draft and have come out with an extra first rounder next year . Port pick could be anywhere from about 7-12 I reckon .

Dodongo thinks we win big time

I’m also still remembering we haven’t seen four of our first draftees from 2018 yet. I’m excited to get Deven and especially Koleman but there’s plenty on our list I’m hoping to see come and make our 22 even better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not sure why some people are saying we gave up too much for Robertson. The Club would know what he can bring to the playing group.
I am sure if someone suggested 2-5 days ago this pick scenario, everyone would have said you are dreaming.
Welcome to the Lions Deven hope you settle in well.

Agreed got a Selwood hard inside midfielder who has leadership written all over him . Him and Ely could be a deadly combo . Also will allow McLuggage to play more outside where is where he hurts opposition .

I’d like to put the Collingwood second round pick we included in the traded to move up one spot in to perspective.

If Collingwood make the top 8 next year, that pick would be around pick 40+.

I’m not talking about if they make the Grand Final. I’m just talking about if they make the 8.

The early talk so far this year is that we see between 4 and 6 kids bid on next year in the first round.

Plus there’s the PP at pick 11 Gold Coast traded to Geelong tonight.

Possible Joe Daniher first round compensation handed to Essendon.

Next year teams won’t be letting academy kids slide to later bids. There’s just too damn many of them to let clubs get a live draft selection in before matching a bid.

Top 10 picks will have a premium attached to them. Second round picks next year will be canon fodder.

And we have another Coleman in our academy next year who draft watchers think is better than his older brother.

As for not matching on either Will Martyn or Noah Cumberland.

It should be clear we were never going to match a bid in the National Draft for either.

Our recruiters obviously planned to take 3 live picks at the draft, and match a Coleman bid with our last pick.

We obviously got caught out by Essendon bidding earlier than we expected a bid to come for Keidean.

The fact that we then passed on both kids for a pick some 15 picks later should tell us where we rated both boys, and that we had other list priorities at that point in the draft.

Not to mention we’ve now signed Neales apprentice to team up with Ely the Bull I’m not complaining

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What the club says: "(Deven Robertson's) been an outstanding junior player for three years, really. We've monitored him all along. It's a difficult one with that first selection on the second night. We ummed and ahhed about staying behind Port Adelaide but there seemed to be a bit going on, so we just got in there (with the pick swap) and got Dev." - Brisbane recruiting manager Stephen Conole

A separate argument can be made that losing that 2020 2nd round pick is the AFL's fault, because pick 22 didn't exist until they waved their magic wand.

I could be wrong, but it looked like Essendon weakened your hand in the 30’s so they either got Coleman of Johnson, most probably ended up with their second choice but they still got a father son off the Lions.

Think this new system seems to make it easy or hard to get your nominated father son and academy players, Sydney have gotten a free ride the last few yearsand Freo some how walk away with picks 7, 8 & 9, while Brisbane got smashed by Essendon and Richmond tonight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back