Review Lobb is God! Dogs jam pussies at the Cattery

Remove this Banner Ad

Struggle to believe anyone would genuinely believe that has more to do with English’s pov ruck work than having two of the best clearance players in the comp.
The irony is English has to go with more of the b midfielders than Lobb does (for obvious reasons)

Having two of the best clearance mids in the comp probably helps
Yeh Tim built good chem with both of them earlier in the year for sure.

Tim has done much more work with the b mids than Lobb has to be fair.

Show me the opposite that effective hit outs result in worse performing midfields and matches lost

The naked eye is a better judge than stats

Show me what you want and I will give you the stats

That’s not how this works. I’m not the one claiming effective hitouts wins games of footy. That’s on you.

And no one’s claiming effective hitouts result in worst performances. That’s just silly.

Don’t bother with the stat search, you’ll be wasting your time. It’s already been shown that there’s zero correlation between higher rates of effective ruck numbers and games won.

The naked eye test is more reliable than statistical data? That may be the case (highly unlikely) if you watch every minute of every game, which I doubt you do but even if you did, you mustn’t be fussed then with outcomes of games because as I stated above, effective hitouts doesn’t equal wins.

Interesting.

You’ve previously claimed that our midfield struggled because Tim was a poor tap ruckman.

Why the 180?
And it’s still struggling, big time. The raw numbers are obviously helped by two top line clearance players - and where’s that gotten us? We’re a joke.

I’m not getting into this buckets, your grasp on the game is lacking, that’s fine some people are a little bit simple it is what it is, you enjoy looking at your stats and you can give the boys a big pat on the back for enjoying another successful season 😊

Believe the Lobb surgery took place after round 1.

The most disappointing thing about English is after 7 years he still has no answer when a ruckman just stops at the circle and doesn’t actually jump for the ball. Rather than adjust his jump, start with a shorter run up etc…. Tim just keeps the same approach.

I think English’s none aggressive nature is why he hasn’t. Most rucks would react by putting a knee squarely into the other rucks back or ribs at the next bounce.

VDM was excellent with his pressure in the first 10 minutes after half time. Hope his sub was precautionary. Good finals pressure player I reckons.

He and Lobb were 2 that had a big impact in that time.

Baker put in a really good effort but his ball use is pretty bad.

We don't see enough of Timmy forward. He's a good kick for goal and takes his share of CMs.

And it’s still struggling, big time. The raw numbers are obviously helped by two top line clearance players - and where’s that gotten us? We’re a joke.

I’m not getting into this buckets, your grasp on the game is lacking, that’s fine some people are a little bit simple it is what it is, you enjoy looking at your stats and you can give the boys a big pat on the back for enjoying another successful season 😊

Clearly out of your depth doggo

Regardless of everything else going on, how good is it to finally get a win down there? It was looking like a classic dogs loss in Geelong at 3QT - close on the scoreboard, effort was there but ultimately get rolled with a few easy goals out the back. Happy with that.
Am I right in thinking that had Libba had never had a win over Geelong ... anywhere. And obviously none of them had ever won down there. Great to throw that monkey off the back and stomp it to death even if it did have the palsy.

The irony is English has to go with more of the b midfielders than Lobb does (for obvious reasons)

That is blatantly untrue the amount of times people have moaned that English and Bont or English and Libba are off at the same time this season. The stats put up of the lack of changes to the centre square set up player wise.

When fit we have run with the same three (Bont, Libba, treloar) upwards 70% of the time in the centre bounce and English generally plays 80-85% ruck time.

You can have a position that English is a better ruck but you can do it without making things up.

English has had a very good year, he took a lot of steps forward but his strength is being that extra mid style ruckman who hurts you around the ground and pushes forward.

His issues have been his actual competitiveness in ruck contests, which has improved this year but against the physical rucks that put themselves between him and the ball he struggles to find ways around that tactic and lacks the aggression to fight his way through it.

Is he a good ruck? Yes
Is he the best style of ruck for our team? I’m not sure

Interesting.

You’ve previously claimed that our midfield struggled because Tim was a poor tap ruckman.

Why the 180?

Why does everything have to be black & white with you ?

There’s shades of grey and shades of light with English .

At times he’s performed terrifically , other times not so well. I presume he was moved out of the ruck last night not because Lobb’s a terrific ruck ,but because he wasn’t performing well.

You said earlier that it’s important to watch the whole game to make a judgment call on English . I don’t get to many live games but it’s clear to see that he fails to dominate junior rucks that a putative AA should .

On the other hand, some on here criticised his performance in the Hawks game . I was watching closely and saw him tap the ball into perfect areas of space for our mids to capitalise on . Unfortunately the Hawks mids were all over us with effective blocks allowing them first use of the ball .

It’s hyperbole to say “English is s**t trade him out “ though that doesn’t stop some on here fantasising that the Eagles will give us pick one for him. But there’s room for improvement.

I’d like to see the club target Dean Cox as an assistant. I guess it’s not as simple as “I played like this , you do the same” but he’s been part of a successful Swans coaching lineup for a while now.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was nice to see Bevo move the magnets around a bit more.

Ed Richards is so so important to us. Absolute gun and should be in line to be our next captain if he sticks around

My takeaways from this game.
Good:
  • Lobbs best game for us. 3 great goals. 6 clearances. Filled the whole left by English’s average (and increasingly common) performance.
  • Naughton. Did a lot of stuff to keep us in the game.
  • Bont and Libba. Need I say more.
  • Weightman pressure was great even if he wasn’t getting the touches.
  • JOD. Improving each week.

Bad
  • English centre bounces. Got beaten by a first gamer handily.
  • Vandermeer minus that first ten minutes of the second half.
  • Dale and Williams absolutely useless. Kicked it to Stewart on his own sooo many times.

Questions to be asked:
- can we really persist with English as ruck for much longer?? Doesn’t really have that competitive ruck bone in his body and has been belted at times this season (and let’s be honest, it’s been going on far longer than this season).

- Dale out for JJ is possible.

- We still have an abysmal dysfunctional plan that supports the fact we still need a coaching turnover of some kind…that first half was woeful.

Why does everything have to be black & white with you ?

There’s shades of grey and shades of light with English .

At times he’s performed terrifically , other times not so well. I presume he was moved out of the ruck last night not because Lobb’s a terrific ruck ,but because he wasn’t performing well.

You said earlier that it’s important to watch the whole game to make a judgment call on English . I don’t get to many live games but it’s clear to see that he fails to dominate junior rucks that a putative AA should .

On the other hand, some on here criticised his performance in the Hawks game . I was watching closely and saw him tap the ball into perfect areas of space for our mids to capitalise on . Unfortunately the Hawks mids were all over us with effective blocks allowing them first use of the ball .

It’s hyperbole to say “English is s**t trade him out “ though that doesn’t stop some on here fantasising that the Eagles will give us pick one for him. But there’s room for improvement.

I’d like to see the club target Dean Cox as an assistant. I guess it’s not as simple as “I played like this , you do the same” but he’s been part of a successful Swans coaching lineup for a while now.

Why is it black or white with me?

I never said English doesn’t play poorly. I’m just saying that English playing larger minutes over Lobb was the right decision for most of the season. Even in the weeks leading to last night. He’s been our best ruckman by a long way.

I think we can put Lobbs performance last night to the confidence he’s built from his strong last month. Give him English’s role in the middle of the season and we can guarantee we wouldn’t have seen what we saw last night.

Lobbs improving and more ruck minutes might be the go moving forward. For 90% of this season, that hasn’t been the case.

It is absolutely baffling that we knew his ankle needed surgery when we recruited him and didn't immediately book him in to get put under the knife in November. Instead we waited until halfway through the preseason to do it.
Absolute mis-management

I never said that.

I said if you want to claim that the eye test tells you better than statistical data that having a ruckman with higher effective hitout figures wins more games of footy than a less effective tap ruckman, then you need to watch every minute of every game played to have an accurate read. That’s across the whole comp. Nothing to do with English.

I never said that.

I said if you want to claim that the eye test tells you better than statistical data that having a ruckman with higher effective hitout figures wins more games of footy than a less effective tap ruckman, then you need to watch every minute of every game played to have an accurate read. That’s across the whole comp. Nothing to do with English.
I’m curious, how are you possibly measuring that?

That is blatantly untrue the amount of times people have moaned that English and Bont or English and Libba are off at the same time this season. The stats put up of the lack of changes to the centre square set up player wise.

When fit we have run with the same three (Bont, Libba, treloar) upwards 70% of the time in the centre bounce and English generally plays 80-85% ruck time.

You can have a position that English is a better ruck but you can do it without making things up.

English has had a very good year, he took a lot of steps forward but his strength is being that extra mid style ruckman who hurts you around the ground and pushes forward.

His issues have been his actual competitiveness in ruck contests, which has improved this year but against the physical rucks that put themselves between him and the ball he struggles to find ways around that tactic and lacks the aggression to fight his way through it.

Is he a good ruck? Yes
Is he the best style of ruck for our team? I’m not sure
You’d have to get the stats to verify. From what I’ve seen Bont and English have staggered rests

VDM was excellent with his pressure in the first 10 minutes after half time. Hope his sub was precautionary. Good finals pressure player I reckons.

He and Lobb were 2 that had a big impact in that time.

Baker put in a really good effort but his ball use is pretty bad.

We don't see enough of Timmy forward. He's a good kick for goal and takes his share of CMs.
Too risky to take into a potential final with his soft tissue problems.

Had a hand in the first two goals of the 3rd. Including one he kicked himself. The other from a desperate tackle that lead to Treloars.

10 mins in 3-4 weeks.
He was symptomatic of why If Geelong had kicked straight we would have already lost the game.
Bloke tries hard and I was really bullish on him early doors , but seriously he is fumble city, with shocking decision making.
Just another piece in the puzzle why we are mediocre.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back