Review Lobb is God! Dogs jam pussies at the Cattery

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m Rory Lobb and so is my wife.

10 mins in 3-4 weeks.
He was symptomatic of why If Geelong had kicked straight we would have already lost the game.
Bloke tries hard and I was really bullish on him early doors , but seriously he is fumble city, with shocking decision making.
Just another piece in the puzzle why we are mediocre.

Didn’t notice him a lot. Just that period after half time.

I agree. The quicker we replace guys like Vanders the better.

I am interested in seeing if we change things up for the finals. Each team works through the year to get information on how to beat the opposition. They have worked us out but we did a few things this week to make us more predictable

- Lobb to Ruck/English forward - was working well and then even better after Kolo went off and they only had one player over 193 in defence. English is a serious threat but also made Lobb play where he is most dangerous 45-60 out.

- McLean and then West in the guts - breaks the Libba tag - not sure how many clearances McLean got but our tackling looked better and so we had better scrap

- JOD is really gaining confidence and has defensive intent

- Crozier for Duryea - during the season we have put other players in that can’t take safe marks and opened us up to marking mid forwards. I feel for Crozier and can see the drop in penetration of his kicks but this also comes from not playing enough games to get up to speed - he is a very good player and was a smart move to play him. Him playing changes the flow into our forward line that has historically been shocking for intercept marks. It also allow Red to go for more marks. Duryea is still better and can play on smaller fast players but with Cleary will hopefully coming through and JOD developing we should be better there.

- we let Naughty move up the ground where he can play as a proper CHF - this means we get our best players onto the ball. We then moved JUH to FF and that didn’t work until the end - I think this is partly how Flea played and wasn’t a sync but it will work - English/Lobb deepest, JUH leading out one way and Flea as a decoy with Naughty, West and Scott/VDM as a super mobile hard forward line.

What can we do to improve and be unpredictable in the finals if we make it

- I don’t think VDM is the answer in defence - JJ is a lock if fit and makes us a better team especially in big games where he always lifts, Crozier and even risking Cleary is better than VDM. Cleary is very attacking and a smart player - reckon he will stand up.

- Unleash the Carey - we go further with Naughty playing up the ground - play him in the mid occasionally - he does this in forward ball ups really well but this is how you give Bont a proper break - he doesn’t need 30 mins a game just a few short rests / put Naughty in Carey/Dusty/De Goey style.

- Smith will also be back and he was just staring to show a bit again even if he was spraying his kicks. This always happens when a young player goes from outside to inside - the start rushing and either shank or mostly kick over opp heads. Just needs to lower his eyes and calm his kicks

- More rotation of Mids - Macrae went back into the guts recently and started to shine again - is should play centre and go for the ball - he is a big fella but slow so needs to put that body in the line and bring back the lightening hands - playing him outside has not worked.

- Oppo will try to push forwards at ruck to break through and away from our Mids - rotate West in there when this happens and give him enough practice to know how job - get goals side and tackle the break away player. We are one of the few teams that is prepared to sacrifice a player - we need to do this. See how Finn Maginness completely shut down Bont and Oliver in succession - remember Pickens ability to do this? Not sure who else could do this? Could Baker - has a bit of bastard about him? I would go with a rotation starting with VDM - he is cranky but also fast and agile and then rotate Smith there and get them to contact first and then run off second.

Team for first final:

Lobb JUH Flea
VDM Naughty West

Williams Trelor Poulter
English Bont Libba

JOD Keath Dale
Richards Jones Duryea

JJ Smith Macrae Daniel

On paper that’s a pretty good side

How ironic that an old retiring wingman bows out with a lazy 36 disposals and arguably BOG when we are desperate for a quality winger. Looks like he could play for a couple more seasons and would walk into our team.
Admire him for his attitude. Would be great to have around the club as a mentor with his experience. Also seems to connect with Bevo

I don’t think anyone’s under any illusion that West will be a full time midfielder throughout his career, but it’s criminal it’s taken this long for him to get a go in there when at times we’ve been so soft and beaten up on the inside - he genuinely is the closest thing we have to Libba on the inside, his tackles stick and his hands are fantastic.

I’m still pissed about this, it’s been so bloody obvious for so long. Hopefully he sticks around because he’s a bloody handy little player as a small forward who can rotate in the midfield.

Just not on the development we’ve put into genuine s**t campaigners whilst others don’t get the same, such a waste of two years.

Also the way he looks at his opponent in the contest - seems like a bad move rather than focusing on the ball? Gives the opponent more opportunity to get first to the ball
Maybe he's trying to pick up cues as to what his opponent is going to do, instead of plotting his own move.

It is absolutely baffling that we knew his ankle needed surgery when we recruited him and didn't immediately book him in to get put under the knife in November. Instead we waited until halfway through the preseason to do it.
I think I read that his ankle condition had been known for more than a season and that he played the whole of last year with it. Including tearing us a new one on at least one occasion.

If that's the case it can still be questioned but it's not quite as baffling. We would have just been doing what Freo did successfully.

Credit to Treloar for a good season. I’d probably say recruiting him has shortened our window massively and brought forward the cliff our midfield has hit, but he has played good footy this year for us. Good lad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't beleive anyone does not want to play finals this year.

Have no doubt there well be a major restructure, it is required.

However, anyone of my vintage who saw 3 finals appearances by the age of 18 and only then 1 final win, all I can say is go Blues!!!!

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

What started out as a comment on the fact that it's great to see Lobb used a bit more creatively rather than just planned rotations has somehow turned into an overblown English vs Lobb ruck-off argument. Straw men all over the place.

Lobb was recruited as a tall forward/ruck relief player and barring injury is not going to be anything else. English is going to be our primary ruck as long as he's on our list.

This place can be great for discussion but it can also go off into weird and wasteful directions at times.

I don’t think anyone’s under any illusion that West will be a full time midfielder throughout his career, but it’s criminal it’s taken this long for him to get a go in there when at times we’ve been so soft and beaten up on the inside - he genuinely is the closest thing we have to Libba on the inside, his tackles stick and his hands are fantastic.

I’m still pissed about this, it’s been so bloody obvious for so long. Hopefully he sticks around because he’s a bloody handy little player as a small forward who can rotate in the midfield.

Just not on the development we’ve put into genuine s**t campaigners whilst others don’t get the same, such a waste of two years.
West is built for finals. Toughness wins big finals and premierships, not necessarily ‘pretty’ football, sometimes it can be, sometimes not, but it’s always got to be tough.

Just wondering about other peoples thoughts on Bailey Williams. I have been disappointed in his efforts this year. IMO he does enough to get picked each week and I would not describe his games as less than serviceable but I expect more from a senior player, which given his number of games played, that is what I think he is. I expect some instances where he stands up and wrests momentum back for the side, instigates a brilliant passage of play , wins a one on two contests, repels an attack and sets up a scoring opportunity for us. Bont and Libba should have to be the only ones who do it. Not all the time but more frequently than this year.

Can't beleive anyone does not want to play finals this year.

Have no doubt there well be a major restructure, it is required.

However, anyone of my vintage who saw 3 finals appearances by the age of 18 and only then 1 final win, all I can say is go Blues!!!!

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

100%. Too many fair-weather supporters

Elimination final at a packed MCG. Nothing better.

Just wondering about other peoples thoughts on Bailey Williams. I have been disappointed in his efforts this year. IMO he does enough to get picked each week and I would not describe his games as less than serviceable but I expect more from a senior player, which given his number of games played, that is what I think he is. I expect some instances where he stands up and wrests momentum back for the side, instigates a brilliant passage of play , wins a one on two contests, repels an attack and sets up a scoring opportunity for us. Bont and Libba should have to be the only ones who do it. Not all the time but more frequently than this year.
Seems to lack desperation at times.

- McLean and then West in the guts - breaks the Libba tag - not sure how many clearances McLean got but our tackling looked better and so we had better scrap

West was obviously a big factor in the middle, putting it together the way he has up forward as of late. McLean though seemed to have gone unnoticed by most. I really liked his game. Creative, and didn't give the ball away. Also tackled well.
Him and West are the ones who should be rotating forward/mid. Leave CD and Weightman out of the middle.

It's weird, he started the year really well but his performances have slid back to just slightly better than he was last year. Two months ago I would have happily extended his contract but now....

100%. Too many fair-weather supporters

Elimination final at a packed MCG. Nothing better.
What a load of bollocks. Absolutely nothing to do with being ‘fair-weather’.

Anybody wanting the Dogs to miss out does so only because they think it would be for the greater good. If the Club came out and said Bevo is gone regardless then we could all get behind them.

Many of us are concerned that limping into Finals will paper over the cracks and result in lessons not being learnt for next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back