Review Lobb is God! Dogs jam pussies at the Cattery

Remove this Banner Ad

Too risky to take into a potential final with his soft tissue problems.
I'll back him in after a test. He does sometimes get a case of the fumbles but he led the comp for repeat sprints last time he spent many games in a row up forward.
In the absence of better options I think he's right in the mix. I suspect Smith & Macrae come straight back into the side though. I'm not sold on Crozier either, Duryea probably takes his spot too (even if he is in decline).

English is still improving.

Two years off his best. Slow maturing type and aggression will come with age and experience. He isn’t soft, just timid. Timid Tim.

I don’t think he’s soft or timid, personally those terms for me relate to backing back into a pack/winning a hard ball etc. he does most of those things especially in defence.

Aggression though is more so about how you compete and how you go at opposition players. I think it is either something you have or you don’t, it’s nothing something you can learn/develop.

It’s about when you get beaten by an opponent and you try to kill the opponent at the next contest, that white line fever. He just doesn’t have that.

I don’t think he’s soft or timid, personally those terms for me relate to backing back into a pack/winning a hard ball etc. he does most of those things especially in defence.

Aggression though is more so about how you compete and how you go at opposition players. I think it is either something you have or you don’t, it’s nothing something you can learn/develop.

It’s about when you get beaten by an opponent and you try to kill the opponent at the next contest, that white line fever. He just doesn’t have that.

Sweet has it in spades. Love to see our mids with him in there.

Chris Scott knew damn well what he was doing all week... He was delighted in his press conference with his B grade teams performance... Matching it with us for practically 3/4 of the game..

The whole thing was staged jockeying for their draft positions..And they felt sorry for us too..
Tell us how Scott managed to get his players to feel ‘sorry’ for us? Any special video’s he showed during the week so they would sympathise with us possibly missing the finals? Perhaps he brought out a cassette playing Adele at 3/4 time?

You have taken some odd positions over the years wian.

Disagree strongly. Many players get a bit nasty as they age. You get sick of taking s**t from people and become more physical.

I'm not sold on Crozier either, Duryea probably takes his spot too (even if he is in decline).
He has lost penetration and accuracy on his kick. At his best he had a great leap and ability to intercept. That appears to have disappeared as well.

When I saw Crozier and McLean were in the team I assumed both were probably out of good will more than anything.

This is a bit like being on death row waiting for the Carlton V GWS game if we do not get executed today we will be in 2 weeks time. We will take the win given it has been 20 years in the making but their reserves would have put us away if they had kicked straight.

Why are we so poor, how many missed handballs and kicks. How many times this season have we gone for a short kick from full back turned it over for a goal. Very rarely can we set up a play from kick in like other good sides do with ease. You could pick out a lot of players but how has Bailey Dale gone from an elite user to another one of our turnover kings. We are also the kings at letting the opposition get easy out the back goals. The list goes on and on.

Last edited:
Sweet has it in spades. Love to see our mids with him in there.
If we make it through today, I think a case could be made for playing him in an EF even if it was only for the first 75 minutes and then sub him.

The first half and early to mid/late 3rd quarter has to be brutal at stoppage. We're not gonna get that from Timmy. But we'd get a few accurate set shots at goal from Timmy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shout out Rhylee West career high disposals and first time I've ever seen him attend a centre bounce

One thing I do like about VDM (I’m not justifying his selection though) is that when he takes a mark 55-70 out he turns straight away and it’s quick. If he kicked the ball better and was cleaner he would be an automatic selection.

I'd honestly prefer he kick it to somewhere that there's nobody about and letting one of our players run onto it. If he could hit a target then he'd break defences open by how quickly he moves it on, putting it into no mans land and getting a small to run onto it is probably the next best thing.

The players out last night for cats were inclusive of a fair few old blokes. Smith was their best last night and is retiring. Danger looks a tad slower.

It may well be we beat their vfl team but that is a glimpse into their future.

Finally West got thrown in the middle. He played well.

Poulter did some nice things, still needs to get more of the ball though which I hope will improve over time.
Poulter gets to good spots and does provide some decent defensive support. Still has plenty of scope for development hope he can become a long term player for us.

Jeez i hope we trade English and just use some combination of Lobb, Sweet and Darcy. The bloke is too meek to ever be a good ruck or to justify a big salary. Let some other club have the "unicorn" and we'll get ourselves a Ford Ranger.
As somebody who owned a Ranger that had a propensity to go into limp mode in the middle of nowhere for no particular reason.

Be careful what you wish for.

It’s less aggression and more a lack of genuine ruck craft for mine.

Believe the Lobb surgery took place after round 1.

The most disappointing thing about English is after 7 years he still has no answer when a ruckman just stops at the circle and doesn’t actually jump for the ball. Rather than adjust his jump, start with a shorter run up etc…. Tim just keeps the same approach.
Also the way he looks at his opponent in the contest - seems like a bad move rather than focusing on the ball? Gives the opponent more opportunity to get first to the ball

Whilst I really enjoyed the win down there last night and witnessed it in person, we were lucky not to be 6 goals down at half time. We are not coached well at all. We were smashed in clearances until the Lobb change, smashed in tackles and still struggle to get out of our back 50. As a mate said to me we beat a very good VFL side. The issues are glaringly obvious.

Last edited:
I've said a number of times in the past that English is best suited to being the second ruck, the results last year with Sweet in the team were better but that's long gone now. English used differently could be one of the best players in the league floating around the ground in areas where he's needed at the time. When the opposition's on top having play as an extra defender, if you get mismatch forward you can play him deep. He then gets to ruck against the opposition's second who he will beat comfortable in the hitouts.

Keep in mind that English has carried a massive load all season. He hasn’t missed a game and plays 85% of the game as a pure ruck.

Lobb has taken some pressure off but he hasn’t been utilised in the ruck anywhere near as much as he should have been. Last night proved that it should be a 60/40 split with Tim spending 5-7 minutes a quarter up forward.

English has been a little down the past few weeks but I’m hoping it’s just exhaustion kicking in after a long year.
The reality is that Lobb hasn't been offering what English does around the ground, when he's rotated into the ruck.

It's why we've once again worked English into the ground and why he's not exactly running on top of the ground as the season reaches its pointy end. I think people underestimate the toll that working up and down the ground and especially how much defensive cover he has provided our wonky defence all year has taken on him. If we happen to fall into finals (again) then he will benefit greatly from the week off.

This tends to get overlooked when people moan about why last nights ruck combo balance hasn't been in place all year.

The fact that Lobb was jumping over a cooked Stanley and a tired rookie ruckman is also something that is being ignored.

Geelong were definitely undermanned but they still had 12 premiership players in their side, pretty much a full backline and 4 other best-22 non-premiership players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back