Los Angeles Lakers Thread - The Inagural IST World Champions

Remove this Banner Ad

I wasn't excited about the prospect of getting Lue, but the way the club has handled it just screams basketcase. Will be very, very difficult to acquire a good head coach or big name free agent now.

Lol at Kurt and Linda ******* Rambis having a big say in our FO these days

The ownership is rotten, that's the main problem here

Lol at Kurt and Linda ******* Rambis having a big say in our FO these days

The ownership is rotten, that's the main problem here

Someone said it yesterday. If someone told you 30 years ago that Kurt Rambis would have more influence at the Lakers than Magic, you wouldn't believe it. As for Linda Rambis, she's come a long way since helping Jeannie Buss with the Laker girls. Jerry Buss would be turning in his grave if he knew what a mess his family have made of the Lakers. We should be a feared and respected super-power in the NBA, but instead we are being treated as a comical soap opera by the media. Time for Jeannie and friends to stop behaving like spoilt brats and start respecting the franchise.

Well, we've got a head coach, Frank Vogel for 3 years. Jason Kidd as his assistant which seems to be part of the deal ... take Kidd as your assistant or forget the coaching job. Media having a field day, as usual, but what would they prefer ... that the Lakers didn't have anyone coach them at all? I'm hearing plenty of criticism, but nobody giving us alternatives.

Now, to be fair, Vogel has actually taken teams to the playoffs with regularity, and his win/loss ratio over the past 6 years is certainly superior to that of the Lakers. We also have $35m free space in the salary cap so hopefully we can make that work for us.

So pick 4 it is! About time we had some luck lol

Honestly unsure about what we try to do with it though, do we go and draft a Garland/Culver/Hunter/Reddish or do we try and package it for a star? Personally at this stage I'd prefer to go the FA route and try and get another young piece on our team. Garland and Culver really interest me as long-term prospects

So pick 4 it is! About time we had some luck lol

Honestly unsure about what we try to do with it though, do we go and draft a Garland/Culver/Hunter/Reddish or do we try and package it for a star? Personally at this stage I'd prefer to go the FA route and try and get another young piece on our team. Garland and Culver really interest me as long-term prospects

Everyone's suggesting Garland. Having not seen these guys, it's hard to say. I know Garland is undergoing surgery for an ankle injury but should be right to go in about 6 weeks' time. I'm with you on this one, take a talented kid (hopefully a shooter) and get someone through free agency. Nobody seems to want to trade with the Lakers, so that's the only option open to us.

Anyone hearing anything about the possibility of Julius Randle coming back?

Anyone see the interview with Magic Johnson last night? It sort of confirmed my opinion that when it comes to the Lakers, all the media are interested in is controversy and can't be damned with facts. They loved it when Magic pointed the finger at Pelinka, all the talk on LeBron, the coach, etc, but when Magic mentioned the injury to LeBron and injuries to other players, they brushed it off and wanted to talk about LeBron leaving the Lakers. Magic just laughed at that one.

Interesting he mentioned they couldn't do anything to keep Randle as he was offered a better deal. He said the LeBron/Randle combination wouldn't have worked anyway, and the only mistake he made was letting Lopez go because he would have worked well with LeBron. He said the talks involving Davis were meant to be behind doors, next minute the Pelicans are splashing it all over the media making the Lakers look the bad guys.

The one question I was hoping they'd ask Magic is why he honestly thought he could be part time in a role that required full time attention. I'd love to know.

Isn't the more important question why anyone even/ever thought Magic would give the role the time and effort it needs?

Magic claims he asked about the amount of time he needed to put into the job, and Jeannie Buss agreed to it. As much as I appreciate Magic's thoughts that a good CEO puts people in place to enable him to make decisions, it would appear it was never made clear to him exactly what type of decisions he was allowed to make.

He claims that he wanted to sack Luke Walton but he wasn't allowed to. The moment he resigned, the Lakers sacked Walton. Really has me wondering what the truth really is. Seems to me, the appointment of Magic was as a recruitment tool, and Magic thought there was more to the job than that.

I was encouraged by Magic's comments that if he had the chance, he'd buy the Lakers in a heartbeat. That would be interesting.

lebron has reached out to kawai!

Would love to see it for two reasons. Firstly, he's probably my favourite player in the NBA and would make the Lakers a vastly better team. Second, to stick it up all those smartarses who have been chirping away with lines such as "If Kawhi goes to Los Angeles, it will be to the Clippers as they are far better organised than the Lakers", and "Nobody wants to play with LeBron".

All this love for the Clippers. It seems to have escaped their attention that the Lakers beat the Clippers just before the playoffs without LeBron, Lonzo, Ingram, Kuzma and Hart. Lakers are one top FA and great draft pick away from being a Western Conference contender, but the media still think we are a joke.

I’m reading on Bleacher Report (I know, I know) that Lakers are considering Paul now. I have idea why.

They have the best player in the world. And he plays point forward. And they have point guards.

They should be all in for 2 of Kawhi, Klay and KD. Or get one and wait for AD. Lakers don’t need half pieces - they need another superstar or two. Preferably ones who defend.

If they really want a broken point guard might as well bring Steve Nash back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m reading on Bleacher Report (I know, I know) that Lakers are considering Paul now. I have idea why.

They have the best player in the world. And he plays point forward. And they have point guards.

They should be all in for 2 of Kawhi, Klay and KD. Or get one and wait for AD. Lakers don’t need half pieces - they need another superstar or two. Preferably ones who defend.

If they really want a broken point guard might as well bring Steve Nash back.

What Lakers need more than anything right now is a shooter. Maybe they're thinking Paul would fill that role.

Anyone noticed that LeBron has been very positive and cavalier (pun intended lol) recently on social media? Seems very relaxed. Might mean that he knows a star is coming. Putting my money on either Butler or (hopefully) Kyrie

Anyone noticed that LeBron has been very positive and cavalier (pun intended lol) recently on social media? Seems very relaxed. Might mean that he knows a star is coming. Putting my money on either Butler or (hopefully) Kyrie

I think he's probably been amused by all the media attention on the Lakers :)

Are either of those the answer?
Personally think Kawhi is unrealistic at this stage, although he’s the one we must be trying the hardest to get here. Butler isn’t (although I’d take him, lifted in the playoffs for the Sixers more than anyone), Kyrie maybe is considering they’ve worked well together before.

My guess at this stage is one of the pair goes to Brooklyn, and the other comes to us

Personally think Kawhi is unrealistic at this stage, although he’s the one we must be trying the hardest to get here. Butler isn’t (although I’d take him, lifted in the playoffs for the Sixers more than anyone), Kyrie maybe is considering they’ve worked well together before.

My guess at this stage is one of the pair goes to Brooklyn, and the other comes to us

I'm hoping LeBron goes full LeBronGM. Cause no one else at the Lakers is capable of convincing anyone to do anything.

Kids are good. Lakers simply need a superstar two way player. Two would be nice.

Interesting :think:

I would love Kawhi at the Lakers for obvious reasons. He's a great player, he's exactly what the Lakers (and LeBron) needs, and he's also my favourite player.

But above all, I'd love to see him come to the Lakers after months of those rocket scientists in the media telling us how nobody wants to come to the Lakers because of our dysfunctional administration, how nobody wants to play with LeBron, etc. It would be great to see how those know-it-alls would react to Kawhi signing with the Lakers :)

I’m getting a strange feeling AD is going to be a Laker sooner rather than later. Lot of smoke around Griffin wanting to get a deal done ASAP, possibly before the draft

Sounds like the Knicks are out of the running, so that leaves us and the Celtics (who will want to wait until Kyrie’s decision). Surely 4 + Ingram + Ball gets the job done (wouldn’t pay any more than that)

Leaves a core of LBJ/AD/Kuz. Surround them with role players or sign another very good player. Watch us overtake the KD-less Warriors (only because of the injury, I think Durant stays in GS now)

If I had to guess, AD will be a Laker within the next 3 days, possibly even tomorrow if a suitor can be found for pick 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back