AFL Autopsy Loss to Richmond - Rd 11 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

We've been through all this before. I agree with you. They deliberately set about taking Zaharakis out and Martin deliberately took out Baguley.

Guys on this thread believe people are nice and this deliberate targetting will never happen. So it was an accident that Zaharakis was rammed into the turf with his arms pinned by Nankervis and some other guy with their full body weight.

And Dusty was playing within the rules when he charged into Baguley's ribs at full pace.

In years gone by under Sheedy's coaching, it was the Bombers who were the unsociable ones. If Sheedy had any say in the coaching now, Nankervis, Martin and the other guy would have been on the receiving end of similar.

Not sure if you read Lloyds article through the week where he was taken into a room at Sheedys instruction and told to man up or don't bother playing the game.
No they didn't

I generally think that Essendon fans are through the looking glass with respect to what’s wrong with the club. 10 years ago... not so much. Even during the early Hird years, the vocal fans didn’t really have a clue about the importance of defensive running, team work, shepherds, knock-ons etc. There was this obsession with “best 22”. The dialogue, since, has changed a lot, to the point where I feel the supporting population has gone past the club and are now waiting for the club to catch up. It’s a weird paradigm.

Sure mate. And McIntosh didn't deliberately backhand Merrett in the JLT and Martin didn't deliberately charge Baguley.

They were brutal at Zaharakis every time he went near the ball.
There is a big difference between playing tough and deliberately setting out to injure a player. Richmond played tough. They didn't go out of their way to injure Zaharakis. It's ridiculous to claim that.

Well, we’re not currently looking for a coach and I’m not sure what makes Mitchell the best available coach, despite his 10 rounds of experience as an assistant.

That aside, even when I entertain this hypothetical scenario, I doubt both parties would be interested in each other.

Word.

This weekend has been hard enough without frothing over Sam Mitchell to boot. No need for the self flagellation.

Sure mate. And McIntosh didn't deliberately backhand Merrett in the JLT and Martin didn't deliberately charge Baguley.

you need to have a lie down.

There is a big difference between playing tough and deliberately setting out to injure a player. Richmond played tough. They didn't go out of their way to injure Zaharakis. It's ridiculous to claim that.
Tell that to Nic Nat and he didn't break anyones collarbone

I haven't quoted any stats nor have even seen any stats from the game, so I don't know why you bring it up.
I also agree Nank outworked TBell, but that was always going to happen. From what I saw on the night, TBell worked hard for what his capacity allows, it wasn't a work rate issue.

You can't let your opponent run past you all night, tbell jogged 50m away from him at all times

I know it’s off topic but Mitchell is a flog, he deliberately kneed Griffen, Tex and Fyfe plus a few others that went undetected.

And to do the syringe thing to his fellow AFLPA members was a dog’s act.

I find it very difficult to feel positive about these games because THE SAME THING CONTINUES TO HAPPEN.

I am not sure if people are watching at home or actually going to the games, but if you are there and watching how we are set up I honestly don't see how they can expect a different result when looking at a game from the crowd.

We continually crowd the opposition forward line, while they form a line right across the centre/half-back, just waiting for us to kick it out, so they can take possession, uncontested, then bomb it back in. I am really not sure of the point of this. The opposition STILL take F50 marks, uncontested and contested, or, failing that, the ball hits the deck and we are beaten at ground level.
If we happen to win at ground level, we just bomb it out to the opposition, and if we manage to somehow take a mark, the opposition are all guarding the space causing us to hold the ball up and chip it around and not making any ground anyways.

This is our continual loop and nobody appears to have an answer to it. It is incredibly frustrating to watch and is the reason why I can't take positives from any of our losses. It seems we don't have any answers, which is exactly how we play. Whether we win or lose depends more on the opposition that us.
This happened at the Collingwood, Hawthorn and Carlton games. I did not see the Geelong game to see if we did anything differently.

Very, very frustrating time to be an Essendon supporter.
Worsfold talks about this in his post match. The forwards are getting sucked way to far up the ground. Need to trust the mids to get back and everyone to hold out.

It's a strange phenomenon to hear all week a message from the coaches then go out and do the opposite but most of us have been there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've been through all this before. I agree with you. They deliberately set about taking Zaharakis out and Martin deliberately took out Baguley.

Guys on this thread believe people are nice and this deliberate targetting will never happen. So it was an accident that Zaharakis was rammed into the turf with his arms pinned by Nankervis and some other guy with their full body weight.

And Dusty was playing within the rules when he charged into Baguley's ribs at full pace.

In years gone by under Sheedy's coaching, it was the Bombers who were the unsociable ones. If Sheedy had any say in the coaching now, Nankervis, Martin and the other guy would have been on the receiving end of similar.

Not sure if you read Lloyds article through the week where he was taken into a room at Sheedys instruction and told to man up or don't bother playing the game.
I reckon there would be other blokes they would "deliberately" target before Zaharakis. I think Richmond were too busy smashing us on the scoreboard.

Mckenna is the only player we have at the moment has it in him to do what Dusty did to bags (Mckenna laid a pretty borderline tackle later as well from memory). We need more than 1. We despised Hawthorn for having a heap of his type but you need them.

I'd add bomber and Harvey to the list of ex players in this tradition though Harvey was more crazy brave - Bomber was a sniper.

No you were the one who said he hasn’t played well on small forwards, but now you seem to be trying to shift the goal posts to say he can’t keep up and roll over properly to multiple small forwards during the flow of play (despite being unable to refute my points).

Wait, so your argument is essentially:

1. “He switches/rolls opponents during play”: nobody disagrees but this is about who he conceded goals to this year given your original comment was that he hasn’t matched up well on small forwards
2. “He rolled onto Walters and Brad Hill in the Freo game”: what does this have to do with who he gave up goals to? You name most oppo forwards a game and Hurley has likely rolled onto them at stages
3. “I do watch him”
4. Playing the man with a personal insult. Lol. Pathetic.

Totally ignore the fact that I have listed every opponent who has kicked a goals on him in those games you mentioned. Cerra? I will have to go and double check that.

Edit: I’ve checked Cerra’s second goal and it’s not clear that Hurley was his opponent. I’m only on the mobile so I don’t have high res but Hurley is on someone else in the 10 seconds prior to Cerra’s mark. Hurley was streaming back into defensive 50 with Cerra loose and leading forward. Hurley leaves his man at the last second and isn’t able to intercept. He then looks around with hands out as if to say “who was on him?”. Clearly there was a breakdown in defense and not Mick’s fault in that instance.

Every other goal, I look at who their opponent is, not just at that second, but in the minute or so leading up to it. There were no other goals kicked where Hurley didn’t pick up a man during the flow of play. You actually have no idea, despite what you think of yourself.

Well I do not have the time to go back and watch every game again on my phone or any other device I own.
So you must be right. Hurley is the greatest defender ever who never gets goals kicked on him, picks up every man and also has no one even have any goal assists on him or points kicked on him. s**t we better pay in $5,000,000 a season next time his contract comes up.
Of course you have listed everyone who has kicked a goal on him so not only I am just making up stuff to suite myself everyone else is also wrong and Hurley has simply been in electric form this year. Give him the Brownlow now. Well done. Maybe we can sign you as our next coach.
:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Was Martin going for the ball when he hit Baguley in the gut?

Mckenna is the only player we have at the moment has it in him to do what Dusty did to bags (Mckenna laid a pretty borderline tackle later as well from memory). We need more than 1. We despised Hawthorn for having a heap of his type but you need them.

I'd add bomber and Harvey to the list of ex players in this tradition though Harvey was more crazy brave - Bomber was a sniper.
Guelfi and Smith can go hard at it, as can Ambrose. Noticed Saad not taking a backward step. Hooker and Smack could go off as well, as can Stringer.

Mark they tackled him.
It’s what players do in our game.
Players tackle with intent and ferocity. Sometimes players get hurt, thankfully most of the time they don’t.

It’s natural for teams to monster players that have question marks hanging over their heads regarding softness. I’ve seen our own club do it.

However the notion that they deliberately set out to injure or maim a player is just plain wrong and way off the mark.

Sorry mate.

Guelfi and Smith can go hard at it, as can Ambrose. Noticed Saad not taking a backward step. Hooker and Smack could go off as well, as can Stringer.
Agree with all of those and was also pleased Saad has a bit of steel about him - but i'm talking about the next level. The ugly stuff nobody wants to condone but so many of our great teams have had in spades. What Martin did was exactly that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back