AFL Autopsy Loss to Richmond - Rd 11 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Is this some kind of joke? Martin and Rance are the two most protected players in the competition. Anyone else who tried to pull that dive that Rance did tonight would have been cited by the umpires for staging. I genuinely can’t believe that Richmond fans aren’t satisfied with the free ride that these guys get.[/QUOTE]

We’re certainly not satisfied we are again last on the ladder for free kicks in our favour and for the second year running. By a significant amount mind you.

Last edited:

We got a lesson in running, effort, transition and commitment last night.

Being a player down makes it a little tough to judge but we were still well short of what’s required.

So many of our players don’t have the fitness, commitment and/or presence of mind to be covering the ground to attack and defend. They jog. There’s so many that you could point out.

We got a lesson in running, effort, transition and commitment last night.

Being a player down makes it a little tough to judge but we were still well short of what’s required.

So many of our players don’t have the fitness, commitment and/or presence of mind to be covering the ground to attack and defend. They jog. There’s so many that you could point out.
Noted to my friend at the game that we had about 10 players just standing in the back pocket 50 while we were taking the ball forward up the opposite wing. Of those ten players only one realised and ran hard forward. No surprises it was Smith.

we only want the very best people at Essendon - the best!

but they must be of impeccable character, and they must be universally liked. oh, and they definitely must not have hurt our players feelings in the past.

This is herein is the problem.

You get belted by your opponent yet one of our better players.

Mediocrity stems
He wasn't belted, but yes he was one of our better players. But yes we agree, the fact so many of our players were far worse than TBell is why we were mediocre last night.

Funny thing about Richmond is that despite their high levels of consistent effort and pressure, they don’t become exhausted because they’re all contributing roughly equally. A weak link breaks the chain and Richmond really don’t have weak links in intensity, so they finish games really well.

There are two or three ways to beat this side.

1. Out-Richmond them (almost impossible but a slight chance for a highly motivated team on their day).
2. Bring a play-style that denies them of their forward movement and frustrates their attempts to turn the ball over. Confuse them early.
3. Get on top of Rance early and his confidence drops. He’s really their Achilles heal despite sortof being their hero too; when he struggles, team morale suffers. You can’t get on top of him in the second half if he’s had a good first half, so you need to do it early.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you hold onto the ball until a suitable option appears - At times, EFC played caveman footy - It also doesn't help that MCKernan and Stewart are effectively third tall forwards having to play as number one or two forwards.
No time mate - pressure was manic. We neeed forwards presenting at the carrier as soon as they looked up, too often they didn’t have a realistic target to kick too.

You are right about Smack and Stewart - both are second/third options.

I think we at least halved it around the ball, they just killed us on the spread because they went in smaller. I hate that this is the new blueprint so, so much but if this is where the game is going to go then we simply don't have the personnel to pull it off at the moment. Redman would be a guy that I'd suggest is perfect for this style of footy, can run all day and will mix it up with the physical stuff.

You wonder whether coaches going against Richmond almost have to implement their own reverse zone, hold 4 forwards in the forward 50 at all times, stretch the field right out and either let them gamble and leave their men to try and choke the ground down or simply not have as many players around to swarm the ball carrier. I think that's why North gave them such a good run.

Melbourne is basically the blue print and I think it's personnel as much as anything.

Win it at the coal face and have the forwards in place.

There is no point trying to out play Richmond at its own game.

I thought Devon Smith was very good last night, also when interviewed by Ling after the game he said something like "some guys in the team didn't want to play their role tonight."

Any suggestions who he is referring to?
Probably referring to Zaharakis or Worsfold.

He wasn't belted, but yes he was one of our better players. But yes we agree, the fact so many of our players were far worse than TBell is why we were mediocre last night.
If you fail to recognize that Nankervis defensive positioning and a distinct lack of desire to run from our ruckman, was a major contributor to how Richmond defensively set up and strangled us, was why he was more mediocre than anyone else. His direct opponent had the most influence on the ground, and it was a simple fix of work rate that would have countred it. Bellchambers no influence, Nankervis indirectly foiled our attacks, and then went forward and kicked 2 goals unopposed.
Bellchambers took a nice mark here and there, but other than that, was totally destroyed. Not everything is in a stats sheet.
Nankervis by far the most effective player on the ground.

Is this some kind of joke? Martin and Rance are the two most protected players in the competition. Anyone else who tried to pull that dive that Rance did tonight would have been cited by the umpires for staging. I genuinely can’t believe that Richmond fans aren’t satisfied with the free ride that these guys get.

We’re certainly not satisfied we are again last on the ladder for few kicks in our favour and for the second year running. By a significant amount mind you.[/QUOTE]
Just curious whether you think it’s acceptable that Rance dives, even when you are 60 points up? I find it bad from anyone at any time but he’s meant to bo a bit of a role model, isn’t he?

Pre-Season: "With three quality acquisitions to the team, we should really improve on 2017 and finish comfortably in the finals"

After Round 8: "We will be lucky to avoid the wooden spoon"

After Round 10: "We can really set our season up with a win over Richmond and make a challenge for the finals"

After Round 11: "We're hopeless and who knows where our next win will come from"

Just another year at Tullamarine. At least we're consistent...

Every team in world sport is on an emotional rollercoaster but why is our ride so terrible and on the verge of constantly breaking down!?
The worst part of it all is the little hope they give us by making finals and beating good sides, only to bomb out the following year, but not bad enough to give us hope the following year when we make finals again, only to disappoint again the following year.

We never really bottom out either. Never really bad, never really good. Always enough talent to keep us from the bottom, but never enough to take us top. Keeps the memberships and crowds rising, but doesn't achieve anything really.

I follow Chicago in basketball. It's like I'm going for the same team but different codes. I remember when we used to sweep Toronto and Cleveland, but lose to s**t bottom sides.
7 first round play-off exists for the Bulls since 2005.

That said, Richmond will smash a lot of sides at the MCG. I don't think we were that bad yesterday. It's just that we messed up by losing to Carlton and Bulldogs.

We’re certainly not satisfied we are again last on the ladder for few kicks in our favour and for the second year running. By a significant amount mind you.
It's the way Richmond plays. Could a deliberate tactic. Pretty smart I say.

I noticed Richmond giving a few deliberate free kicks to stop our run yesterday.
We were starting to use our run with open players when a Richmond player gives away an obvious free. All of a sudden, we have no options anymore, so we're forced to kick it down the line with a wall of Richmond players perfectly set up.

Tiges had the night out from Heaven…couldn’t play better if they tried. They had guys kicking goals from inside the Dunny.

Statistically, the game is even, stevens……except where it mattered.
frowning.png

Just 2 things. The 2 c**** that gang tackled Zaka’s upper arm/shoulder into the ground…

• Why didn’t anyone fly the flag? This would have created a all-in in the old Federal League. It was a deliberate act to cancel out one of our Prime Movers. Parish would be spewing he cracked his thumb which brings me to our injury list. Getting bigger each week.

• Guelph. Giant kudos to Dodoro for picking a diamond in the rough. Never, ever stops putting in.

I was thinking this myself.

I don't think the performance was disheartening. Need more presence around the ball but we always knew it.

They used the ball much better then we did the nside fifty and that was the major difference in the match. As disappointing as the margin ended up being I thought there were quite a few positives to come out of the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back