AFL Autopsy 4 point loss to the powa

Remove this Banner Ad

Could we have defended the kick out after Parish’s miss better? They went long down the middle which was predictable but it got out the back from the pack/contest and eventually into their forward line.
Not sure if it happened on the last, but I did notice Martin tended to get sucked up onto our flank at most kick outs.

Bad luck fellas tough loss, really feel like this is a break year for Macgrath former number 1 draft pick isn't providing enough has no real weapons is a bit vanilla trade for some value while you can. Cant pin loss on Parish still a gun and a number 5 pick.

Unfortunate to lose that in the end but geez I reckon Hobbs is going to be a terrific player for us. For a 2nd year player to go so well against the midfield that is beating all comers is a good sign and its nice to have a bloke that isn't afraid of contact.
Props to our defense which stood tall when we were under siege and generally did a good job all day.
There's a few areas I'd like us to improve but its going to take us a fair bit of time to sort out all our issues so have to be patient.
We may or may not play finals and even though we'd all like to break the streak this year the most important part is building towards a flag - not getting a single finals win (which I reckon is about the most we could hope for this year).

As much as I hate losing It is heart warming to see that we can compete against good opposition. I feel gutted that we lost that but the more we put ourselves in that position the better we will be.

I’d much rather lose and get games into Cox, Reid, Tsatas, Bryan and Davey Jr than scrape into finals with players that are unlikely to be part of our next genuine flag tilt.

But alas the football gods are cruel to us and we get neither.

Was super impressed by Hobbs and Caldwell tonight. Hobbs in particular seems made for rainy winter nights. Perkins was good in stages as well.

Dissapointed with how much we fumbled around the contest, particularly Parish, Guelfi and McGrath throughout the night. Compared to Rozee and Butters who were both super clean.

Wright will take a while to find consistency given he’s missed so much football.

I’d much rather lose and get games into Cox, Reid, Tsatas, Bryan and Davey Jr than scrape into finals with players that are unlikely to be part of our next genuine flag tilt.

But alas the football gods are cruel to us and we get neither.

Was super impressed by Hobbs and Caldwell tonight. Hobbs in particular seems made for rainy winter nights. Perkins was good in stages as well.

Dissapointed with how much we fumbled around the contest, particularly Parish, Guelfi and McGrath throughout the night. Compared to Rozee and Butters who were both super clean.

Wright will take a while to find consistency given he’s missed so much football.
I just hope Cox, Red and Tsatas can be injury free for the rest of the year.

Would you be saying this if we had won tonight?

We still have a bunch of weaknesses but we’re overall a better side than we realise I reckon.
Moot point. We just don't win. We just didn't beat Collingwood when we should've.
I can't see us scraping into a final and then suddenly clicking so that we mark the ball down the line and up forward. Those are the things that win finals. Our game style isn't a finals winning brand. I hope that we get there.
Don't get me wrong, the heart and effort is there.

I don't subscribe to the mind set that these sorts of matches set us up for next year.

Next year is a whole other thing. So many variables. Players and staff leave, retire, arrive, get injured, lose or gain form and confidence. They and we fall in and out of love with each other and the club. Just because we're building to next year doesn't mean that next year will be better. History shows it could be a whole lot worse. Will definitely be different.

Better to play this year as if it's our last and best opportunity. For all we know if could be. With this group of players in this stage of form, development and attitude. Treat each remaining game as a final. See how far we can go. There's a lot of heart in this team. Skills errors for sure but enough promise to give us hope now, this season. Now.

He constantly botched moves forward, and missed 4 very easy shots at goal.

Look throughout this thread. Plenty agree with me. Not just "people who have an irrational hatred for him". Only someone who wants to defend him at every post would disagree.
It’s pretty easy to read through the thread and check the emotional responses.

MEMO: BRAD SCOTT
SUBJECT: TRYING TO PUMP UP A CONTINUALLY DEFLATED TYRE

FFS, stop pumping up Weideman’s tyres in press conferences. Sam is bereft of confidence and from what we’re seeing weekly, ability too.

Got to go down to the twos for a few weeks and we can assess it from there, moving forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice escape Power but can't see them troubling Collingwood, Melbourne or even Brisbane at the G in September.

Nice escape Power but can't see them troubling Collingwood, Melbourne or even Brisbane at the G in September.
My new goal this season is for us to end their season.

MEMO: BRAD SCOTT
SUBJECT: TRYING TO PUMP UP A CONTINUALLY DEFLATED TYRE

FFS, stop pumping up Weideman’s tyres in press conferences. Sam is bereft of confidence and from what we’re seeing weekly, ability too.

Got to go down to the twos for a few weeks and we can assess it from there, moving forward.
It worked with Heppell. Playing an older player into form likely requires different psychology to a young one. Weid's probably traumatised from yo-yoing in and out of the Dees lineup for years. Also, from the seconds match threads, the VFL team has a different purpose and structure. If Brad is teaching confidence and self belief in his system to the team, as he says he is, then Weid needs to learn it in the team Brad is coaching. Weid was better this week around the ground. His goal kicking won't improve by being relegated. Think Travis Cloke and Matthew Richardson.

Posting now I have watched the game again so now I have seen live and replay.

The emotion of a loss after the siren does skew the views a bit .:cool:

Apart from the first 10 minutes we played well. There where lots of mistakes but it was wet.

Forward half pressure was much better.

It is an over reaction to say Shiel is done. It was a dumb coaching move to have a bloke who has not played more than a half for over 5 weeks as sub and then throw him in the middle at the start of the last quarter on a wet night and pressure game. Coach basically set him up to fail. Should have played VFL.
Taking Menzie to do it compounded the situation.

Filpper was great but we could have made more from his hit outs. A lot went to Port. Liked the way he just belted it forward at the last two center bounces.

Captain was very good. Caldwell Very good. Hobbs doing what he does.

Parish was Parish. That is what you get. Some really good work. Some poor kicks and a couple of defensive misses.

Perkins. As usual did a few nice things but if he is going to be the star everyone says he is going to be a few nice things every week needs to turn into a lot of nice things most weeks. Not blaming him for a loss or anything like that but as an important cog in the future of the club he needs to be having more impact on games and his defense was rather plain. Had a lot of ball watching moments.

They did well to contain Martin.

McGrath was a bit mixed for mine. In the last quarter he got caught out on no one twice when Port goaled. Needed to find a man in a tight game.

Heppell did some good thing but for *s sake Hep watch the play. 3 times he got caught with his back to the play and his opponent able to easily lead and mark. He is s**t truck slow so he can not add in a 180 degree turn into the equation as well.

Redman did a lot of good but 11 turnovers as well.

Big Charlie showed us we really do have a full back issue.

Wright was horrible.

Weideman totally lacking form / confidence and sometimes effort but did do a couple of good things in the ruck that put just a little pep in his step.

Thought Kelly was solid.

We just don’t do the basics right time & time again in those situations. With 30 secs left you either take a tackle & force a stoppage or clear the d50 with a hard low kick. I mean we were one stoppage away from winning, with entire team defending the 50. Zero game awareness!

Seriously are we training this stuff or what? Simply inexcusable to be coughing up the game with a minute in those conditions. * me im still fuming.

Took my 4yo for the first time last night. He stayed the whole game which was extremely surprising and saved me from listening to the last quarter in the car :)

I was tipping a close win or being belted…proud of the ticker we are showing in these games…playing an enjoyable brand for the most part…

Parish dropped his head early…he butchered 2 kicks in about 15-30 seconds at one stage and I could just tell perhaps it wasn’t his night…it happens…

Weideman yes should be doing better but I do think this extended run in the seniors to sort himself out would be doing him good after being in and out of Melbourne’s side…and doing us well in terms of structure…coming into a new team can be harder on some more than others…in saying that I’m not averse to a spell in the VFL either…happy to let him find his way this year…

I’ve seen this movie before in 2021…new coach, win some unexpected matches, make the 8 unexpectedly, lose and then expectations and pressure go through the roof following year to stay in finals even if we’re not ready…we are definitely on the right track even if wins aren’t translating against top sides like Pies and Port.

The next few will tell us a lot…Crows, Cats, Dogs, Swans…don’t win at least 2-3 of those we’re not ready…bring it on.

It worked with Heppell. Playing an older player into form likely requires different psychology to a young one. Weid's probably traumatised from yo-yoing in and out of the Dees lineup for years. Also, from the seconds match threads, the VFL team has a different purpose and structure. If Brad is teaching confidence and self belief in his system to the team, as he says he is, then Weid needs to learn it in the team Brad is coaching. Weid was better this week around the ground. His goal kicking won't improve by being relegated. Think Travis Cloke and Matthew Richardson.
Applying that logic, exactly the same scenario applies to AMT. Clearly not up to it (like Weideman). There’s nowhere else to go, BUT down to the 2nds. Hone your craft, get reselected on merit.

Posting now I have watched the game again so now I have seen live and replay.

The emotion of a loss after the siren does skew the views a bit .:cool:

Apart from the first 10 minutes we played well. There where lots of mistakes but it was wet.

Forward half pressure was much better.

It is an over reaction to say Shiel is done. It was a dumb coaching move to have a bloke who has not played more than a half for over 5 weeks as sub and then throw him in the middle at the start of the last quarter on a wet night and pressure game. Coach basically set him up to fail. Should have played VFL.
Taking Menzie to do it compounded the situation.

Filpper was great but we could have made more from his hit outs. A lot went to Port. Liked the way he just belted it forward at the last two center bounces.

Captain was very good. Caldwell Very good. Hobbs doing what he does.

Parish was Parish. That is what you get. Some really good work. Some poor kicks and a couple of defensive misses.

Perkins. As usual did a few nice things but if he is going to be the star everyone says he is going to be a few nice things every week needs to turn into a lot of nice things most weeks. Not blaming him for a loss or anything like that but as an important cog in the future of the club he needs to be having more impact on games and his defense was rather plain. Had a lot of ball watching moments.

They did well to contain Martin.

McGrath was a bit mixed for mine. In the last quarter he got caught out on no one twice when Port goaled. Needed to find a man in a tight game.

Heppell did some good thing but for *s sake Hep watch the play. 3 times he got caught with his back to the play and his opponent able to easily lead and mark. He is s**t truck slow so he can not add in a 180 degree turn into the equation as well.

Redman did a lot of good but 11 turnovers as well.

Big Charlie showed us we really do have a full back issue.

Wright was horrible.

Weideman totally lacking form / confidence and sometimes effort but did do a couple of good things in the ruck that put just a little pep in his step.

Thought Kelly was solid.
Top review. I just can't bring myself to watch!

What are your thoughts on selection? I thought Hind would be a much better sub.

As heartbreaking as that was, Port had every chance to lose as well. It is the little things that matter and hopefully the players will learn. Win a couple of close ones and the confidence will grow. Pies have this in spades.

Still too many basic skill errors & Wright and co need to lead more.

Applying that logic, exactly the same scenario applies to AMT. Clearly not up to it (like Weideman). There’s nowhere else to go, BUT down to the 2nds. Hone your craft, get reselected on merit.
Yes, and the fact that AMT is playing in the seconds most likely means that he'll retire or be delisted at the end of the year. So he - very sadly - isn't a part of the future.

Yes, and the fact that AMT is playing in the seconds most likely means that he'll retire or be delisted at the end of the year. So he - very sadly - isn't a part of the future.
How much of bringing Walla back was to do with helping our indigenous youth develop, and repair the wrong ending to a great career?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back