AFL Autopsy 4 point loss to the powa

Remove this Banner Ad

Funnily enough, I got over that loss quite quickly. Sure I lost about four minutes in an absolute numb and disbelief state somewhere between the ball going through the goals and Port walking down the race before I had the wherewithal to switch the television off.

I’m really excited by where this group is heading. Never once did we drop our heads, and I’m really proud of that. Hobbs is a future leader of the football club and I’ve been so thrilled to see his development and confidence grow in a more inside, contested ball winning capacity. Probably hasn’t got the body yet to start bursting away from packs and really showcasing his outside game but couldn’t be happier that he’s now a permanent fixture in the side.

Caldwell - wow. He now belongs and he knows it. He’s arguably now our second best midfielder. If not, he’s only another year away from overtaking Parish, and that’s taking nothing away from Darcy. Caldwell is damaging with his disposal, composed under pressure, and he’s a goal kicking midfielder. We haven’t had one of those since the days of Jason Johnson and Mark Mercuri.

Our backline help up really well. I thought Marshall was ineffective, Dixon was obviously injured and shouldn’t have played but if we can, as the rumours suggest, grab McKay that really strengthens our key position stocks and allows Ridley, Redman, even Laverde to play as third tall rebounding defenders. Kelly was a lot better, but I just don’t think you can play Heppell and he in the same backline. Hind or Massimo needed to play to provide more valuable run, and I think we missed a trick there. Kelly and Heppell are too stagnant, often slow the play down and look sideways for the safer and easier option which allowed Port to get superior numbers behind the ball.

I think the forward line is still our most pressing issue, but I’m not too sure there’s a quick fix or an easy solution to solve it. Obviously Wright is the cornerstone and last night I’m surprised his jumper remained intact for the full duration of the contest, the amount he was held and illegally impeded. Langford and Stringer are locks up there. Weids is devoid of confidence and needs a spell in the reserves, but there’s no obvious replacement for him until Draper comes back and we resume the forward resting ruck tactic.

I feel like we’re doing a lot of great things, but that last kick going inside fifty and the cohesion between the midfielders and forwards just isn’t there, and admittedly hasn’t been there in many years. Maybe we already have adequate personnel forward of the ball and it’s just a case of our better ball users consistently lowering the eyes and finding the free targets instead of putting it on Wright’s head and hoping for the best, but I still feel like it’s an area we desperately need to address.

Overall, super happy with the season so far. We’ve been in most games, we’ve competed and taken it up to most sides in the competition. When I tune in to watch us play I just want effort. Tidy up a few things forward of centre, get a couple of additional pieces next year, I like what we’re building.

It is an over reaction to say Shiel is done. It was a dumb coaching move to have a bloke who has not played more than a half for over 5 weeks as sub and then throw him in the middle at the start of the last quarter on a wet night and pressure game. Coach basically set him up to fail. Should have played VFL.
Taking Menzie to do it compounded the situation.

Could't agree more, this was a shocker. Menzie was playing his role and Shiel's first touches in return shouldn't have been 4th quarter, tight game, wet footy touches. I just don't see how the coaches expected that to work, and it was tactically reckless.

There was a silent hush about the crowd walking out the gates last night…I think a lot of disbelief at the result of not pinching it but probably people happy (probably not the right word) overall with the effort pushing them all the way and where we are headed as a club.

Did not see any of it but I take it Ben McKay is going to solve all our problems??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sitting at the Punt Road end last night in a forward pocket so paid a lot closer attention to the forwards and defenders.

Defenders:

- Laverde was fantastic, he’s a general down there and was often critical of our Mids not following Rozee, Butters etc forward. He more than held his own imo.

- BZT, Ridley, Redman all good despite the latter being a little untidy by foot last night.

- Hepp and McGrath were both a little off last night, McGrath fumbled all night and Hepp continuously got caught with either his back to play or lagging off and he doesn’t have the required closing speed. His form has been better the last month but this year should be his last.

Forwards:

- Weid, whilst he improved from an effort perspective his kicking just can’t be ignored. I know we have wanted to give him the opportunity (and he has had that now) he needs a couple in the VFL to find form.

- Wright was putrid from both an effort and craft perspective, constantly looking to out body Aliir which was never going to happen. Showed zero intent to block or drag Aliir away from contests.

- Langford is a star, constant work rate and just keeps presenting.

- Menzie was great and it was noticeable that the defensive pressure dropped when he was subbed.

- Stringer, really disappointed, he played for free kicks all night up our end which meant that Port regularly cleared from contests he was involved in. He’s another that constantly tries to outbody opponents when contested marking is not his strength 🤷‍♂️

A lot of noise has been made about needing a defender to cover the gorillas and whilst I agree we desperately need a KPF to regularly compete and crash packs, The ones we have just aren’t going to cut it for us if we have plans of being a deep September team

Top review. I just can't bring myself to watch!

What are your thoughts on selection? I thought Hind would be a much better sub.

As heartbreaking as that was, Port had every chance to lose as well. It is the little things that matter and hopefully the players will learn. Win a couple of close ones and the confidence will grow. Pies have this in spades.

Still too many basic skill errors & Wright and co need to lead more.
Hind would have been much better as sub.

Did not see any of it but I take it Ben McKay is going to solve all our problems??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No but a decent full back will solve one problem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It might be just my interpretation but he seemed to be simmering under the surface.
Yes he did look like he was ready to blow up. No friendly banter this week.

We were much better than them in the wet. completely owned the 3rd quarter - just couldn't get anything on the scoreboard to show for it.
The class of Butters and Rozee, Aliir completely owning Wright and a few anti-clutch moments from our boys ended up being the difference.
The Shiel sub was a bit perplexing - would've rathered Menzie in that last 10 minutes than underdone Shiel.

Trent McKenzie was always going to bomb that ball long. When that ball got out the back of the pack my heart sank. The three goals in a row we got at the end to get back into the game was a good effort though and it shows that the players aren’t giving up.

How much of bringing Walla back was to do with helping our indigenous youth develop, and repair the wrong ending to a great career?
So much. But it was also self-serving - had benefits - for the team and the club.

It was the right thing to do, to repay the spirit and joy that AMT brought to us all in the darkness of the 2016 season. From a team perspective, giving him games and the chance to prove himself also built trust and belief in the team. Players are more likely to believe in the team and work with each other if they believe they have a place in it and they won't be kicked out and humiliated by relegation to the VFL.

The way the Lions dealt with Rich and Gunston is interesting. You don't hang your players out to dry because they're not playing to the standard you require. You work with them to maximise the values they bring to the team and the club. And you don't wash your dirty laundry in public.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back