AFL Autopsy 4 point loss to the powa

Remove this Banner Ad

You know one thing I don’t mind is when commentators say we don’t play a brand of football that is conducive of winning finals games. I don’t want us to follow trends. I want us to be the trend setters.

Well you knew at the start when they have Brad Johnson and Dixon which side of the fence they are going to be on. God Bless Eddie Betts he is to good for that mob. You are right though there is a definite bias there. Ex players should be better than that.
Ex players might not be better. They can hold a grudge or bias as much as they like. Just don't be a footy commentator or analyst who are thrust upon the audience.

was that in the third quarter?

Pretty blatant free kick missed by the umpire where Peter had his arm AND his jumper pulled by MCKenzie and no call.

Would have been an easy shot on goal, a converted shot would have put us up by 13 points if it is the one you were talking about
I can’t remember off the top of my head but I played as a defender myself I just thought it was a low act. A do whatever it takes sort of act. Which is fine I guess but in my book it’s a form of cheating.

Ex players might not be better. They can hold a grudge or bias as much as they like. Just don't be a footy commentator or analyst who are thrust upon the audience.
Haha you are comparing oranges to apples both bad for different kinds of reasons. 🤣

You know one thing I don’t mind is when commentators say we don’t play a brand of football that is conducive of winning finals games. I don’t want us to follow trends. I want us to be the trend setters.
David King thinks we have virtually zero DNA to be a premiership fancy. I almost embrace this as we are doing something so different that sees us knocking on the door of the 8.

David King thinks we have virtually zero DNA to be a premiership fancy. I almost embrace this as we are doing something so different that sees us knocking on the door of the 8.
Yes Brad Scott’s No. 1 fan ironically.

someone like eth-dog will correct me but pretty sure Melbourne or Geelong won the flag on the back of regularly losing the clearance count
Richmond

I think the lack of calls just emboldened the PA defenders and they got away with more and more the longer the game went. We need to just go flat out blocking 2mp's man. Damn the consequences cos clearly the umps aren't looking.
Spot on they were genuinely getting away with murder so why not test the limits.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just reflecting on Parish’s last miss….it was the worst possible outcome. Goal would have been great, out of bounds ok too - set up, lock it in and hold for the remaining minute.

But kick a point and next thing you know old superboot has launched it to the centre circle and it’s out the back with barely a second off the clock…..pharrrrrk!

Not sure we did a heap wrong from there. Redman and Martin couldn’t have done much else with their clearing kicks. Could have had a couple more set up off the contest where Houston was….but that’s a lottery.

Parish just had to kick that one.

It's Brad taking advantage of the year 1 bounce and calling it the basis for an elite program.

There is no master plan that is built on pissweak players kick chasing.

With the demons and saints really not playing great footy, 4th is open and the dogs and us can take advantage with our draws.

Id love to see us pull a few wins against the dogs, cats and crows against the grain

Reckon Swans, giants, north, and eagles should be wins, and the pies....well who knows come rd1 but reckon they're chasing a minor premiership. So will be tough

Matching a good side in tough conditions makes me confident it's doable

Tsatas in VFL today.....could be a nice boost

Just reflecting on Parish’s last miss….it was the worst possible outcome. Goal would have been great, out of bounds ok too - set up, lock it in and hold for the remaining minute.
Was thinking the same thing last night - but if he aimed out of bounds he probably kicks a point anyhow. I haven't and won't watch it again but I don't even think his kick cleared the line on the full.
Parish just had to kick that one.
He just isn't a polished finisher and when it is high stakes these guys kicking usually goes to total s#1t. We are crazy and shooting ourselves in the foot if we offer big money.

With the demons and saints really not playing great footy, 4th is open and the dogs and us can take advantage with our draws.

Id love to see us pull a few wins against the dogs, cats and crows against the grain

Reckon Swans, giants, north, and eagles should be wins, and the pies....well who knows come rd1 but reckon they're chasing a minor premiership. So will be tough

Matching a good side in tough conditions makes me confident it's doable

Tsatas in VFL today.....could be a nice boost
I was thinking on the back of games like Port why can't we 'upset' the Dogs, or Cats or Swans (in Melbourne). Heck, why can't we beat the Pies in round 23

I was thinking on the back of games like Port why can't we 'upset' the Dogs, or Cats or Swans (in Melbourne). Heck, why can't we beat the Pies in round 23
watch the pies. there's a good reason.
top 3 is clear cut, and we've not disgraced ourselves against them 3/4 times (lions game was terrible)
I dont think we get close. probably lucky to make the 8. way we play though...if that Essendon turns up, we'll push teams.

Crows will be interesting. they're flying under the radar a bit as a tough, hard running, fearless side with a lot of fire power and a dour defence.

It's Brad taking advantage of the year 1 bounce and calling it the basis for an elite program.

There is no master plan that is built on pissweak players kick chasing.
Neither of these comments are as insightful as their authors seem to think.

Scott specifically said several times when he was first hired that he would not have taken the job if the board felt that we were on the cusp of contending for a premiership. He has emphasised development over and over and over again. He has consistently hosed down any talk of finals, or anything more long-sighted than the next game on the fixture.

Scott and every player who has been interviewed this year are talking glowingly of how we're a "strengths-based" team*. Most of the players are riding high on a burst of confidence in their own abilities because they're being put in a position where those attributes are of value to the team. It's good coaching for a team whose collective mindset has been pretty suspect for about a decade.

Every game we play in the post-match press conference, journos were pointing out that we were 2-0 and then 3-0 and then 4-0 and then 4-1 and then 5-2 and whatever through to 8-5, and every week he was consistently pointing out that while the win-loss record is nice to have, we hadn't been able to match it with the best teams in the comp, and we're working toward the 4 quarter effort required.

The way we played in the game that is the topic of this thread is the closest we've gotten to matching it with an actually good team all year – and it's notable that Port is one of the few that also beat the post-bye funk that has ended in disaster for almost every team in the last few weeks, and playing at the MCG where they're not known for their form. So we got close against a good team when they're theoretically playing in their worst circumstances of the year.... so congrats? What else can we point to, Melbourne with no Gawn?

Anyone can see that our game plan is basically the same one we've had since 2016, but with a wee dram of game day strategy and some slightly better coaching so the players actually remember what they're supposed to be doing slightly more often when it actually counts. We're at the point that expectations are now so high that we've got a small riot on the forum when it's not completely perfect.

*That "strengths-based" approach is just the spin, the hype, the marketing, the window-dressing on what is, in reality, the year of getting to know the players, earning their trust, trying to find what will get the best out of them individually and collectively. He has exposed several young or fringe players to runs of games at AFL level, and runs of games in different positions. He is coaching for confidence, mindset, individual development, team culture, leadership, and standards.

When you look past the "strengths-based" spin, you notice that he has changed as few things as possible. He actually didn't change the leadership group at all... Heppell stepped down, the other two got automatically promoted, and otherwise there is no change at all. He hasn't changed the game plan. He hasn't even really changed the best 22. He was too late to have any influence on list management. He didn't change the coaching panel.

It's all "softly softly catchee monkey".

He is coaching to convince the club and the players that this "game plan that works" and this "list that just needs development" won't go all the way even when the coaching is good. That they're not going to win games because 150 years or because Essendon.

The only thing he has changed is hearts and minds, but that is clearly exactly where he needed to start given how fractured the place was not even 12 months ago.

Altogether, this team is extremely clearly NOT a finished product, the coach KNOWS that it will not go the distance in finals, and has been telling us so all year.

Seeing it for yourself doesn't make it news.

King is also slow on actually getting on board with new trends . He spent a lot of last year questioning the Pies risky footy and how it did not stand up to previous premiership sides profiles. I do not mind listening to him but he is too tied down to champion data stats at times. I do think they are right about our DNA. We can not keep trying to defend by intercept inside 50 nor can we keep allowing easy transition down one side of the ground but we are at stage one of what they are planning so there will be some wonky stats until they move forward. It is not like they want to keep playing exactly the same way as we are now.:cool:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back