AFL Autopsy R8: 5 point loss to the Powa

Remove this Banner Ad

Disappointing loss. We seemed off after quarter time. Way to many passengers.

In- Reid, Montgonmerie, Bryan, D’Ambrissio, Durham
Out- Ridley, Menzie, Davey, Phillips, Hind

B- Kelly Zerk-Thatcher Montgonmerie
HB- Redman Reid McGrath
C- Merrett Shiel Martin
HF- Langford Weideman Stringer
F- Tippungwutti Draper D’Ambrissio
FOLL- Bryan Hobbs Parish
I/C- Setterfield, Perkins, Caldwell, Heppell
Sub- Durham

Coach and umps cost us that in my opinion. Players were sloppy but hung in there. Menzie was a bad choice for sub, decision lacked dare, again imo. that 50 mtr that wasn't there umpires goal that won the game. Davey isn't ready, give the kid a run in the twos get some confidence. Stewart delist... is injured more than he plays. baldwin 18 touches 7 marks in the seconds, montgomerie mature body, ready to go backman, 24 touches 11 marks. surely one of them has to come in. mcbride, 5 touches in the seconds ... say hello to dublin for me mate.

tremendous effort to respond and stay in touch when our key defensive lynchpin was crudely taken out of the game.

You can see there is something different in the players this year. Belief, or maybe something a little less wanky?

Ridley not being concussed and subbed out in the 2nd quarter means Essendon wins today.
We really need some kind of sinbin in AFL. This would be a prime example for it.

On a brighter note, Essendon sure has improved as a team. We lost to them by 84 points last time.
. We've only been beaten convincingly maybe twice this year. Saints & Cats, and to be fair we were in the game half way through the last against the Saints.
We could easily be 6 - 2 right now, the results against Pies and Port could've easily gone our way with some better decision making on our part. Playing heaps better than previous years, even more evident in our losses against really good sides. With a better run of injuries and a fit Reid & Ridley in defense along with BZT, Redman & McGrath I think we can pinch 11 maybe 12 wins this year.

On SM-G780G using BigFooty.com mobile app

tremendous effort to respond and stay in touch when our key defensive lynchpin was crudely taken out of the game.

You can see there is something different in the players this year. Belief, or maybe something a little less wanky?
They're tugging the sash!

confidence?

You can only go by form and we’ve been playing well. Maybe thought we’d even turned a corner. You know, the things we’ll all want.

The past three weeks have been……disappointing.

I'm not having a go, so don't read it that way.

But has our form been that good?
Did we really think we were some kind of force or player in this season?
Everyone has looked at the ladder the last month and thought, yep, Dons aren't supposed to be there.
We beat some s**t teams and we got Melbourne at the absolute best time.

We got run over the top of by pies. Not a bad performance.
We got destroyed by the cats, typical and expected.
We looked decent enough today and then lost one of our top 5 players and fell away as you would expect.

We will most likely lose next week. As expected 5 weeks ago.
None of those results actually impact where we are at.
We will probably snag a bunch of wins in a row after that, injuries permitting and will be sitting exactly where we deserve to be.

We do not have the players.
For the first time it looks like we have the coach.
We appear to have turned the corner, I don't think a win or loss actually changes that today.
The result is secondary at the moment.

Yep, I look forward to a forward line with a fit and firing Wright, Langford, Stringer and Weiderman. If we do play all four of them, Stringer will have to pinch-hit in the midfield and Weiderman will have to be the backup ruck. Add Tippa to the mix and rotate mids through there (Davey, Perkins and Caldwell). It is building to something potent. Like a 19-year-old in the morning after drinking 10 Guinness the night before, as well as a kebab on the way home.

That could be up and running by the end of the year. The backline is another issue though. We're still struggling to have genuine height back there. BZT is most likely playing sore ankles and isn't as dynamic as he was earlier and with Laverde and Ridely, we're going to be exposed next week.

Wright, Weid, Langford, stringer, Perkins, Tippa seems the dream but also seems to lack pressure.

so still not sure how the side fits together maybe one off the bench.

Really a lot of unknowns need to work out for positive to take this team to a good place

. We've only been beaten convincingly maybe twice this year. Saints & Cats, and to be fair we were in the game half way through the last against the Saints.
We could easily be 6 - 2 right now, the results against Pies and Port could've easily gone our way with some better decision making on our part. Playing heaps better than previous years, even more evident in our losses against really good sides. With a better run of injuries and a fit Reid & Ridley in defense along with BZT, Redman & McGrath I think we can pinch 11 maybe 12 wins this year.

Yep agree with most of the above but when it’s a close game we always seem to lose. The only exception is when we are up by 5 goals and the opposition claw back to almost take it from us. We don’t know how to win the close ones and it’s been like this for some time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lack of obvious decisions our way early and our own fumbling kept Port in it, then Ports bad kicking kept us in it, so close.

At the game and thought we were ok. Hung in there during the second and third quarters when they were on top but ultimately the result was probably fair enough.

It’s not just skill errors and turnovers that continue to hurt us but it’s where and when we’re making them. Hopefully it’s all part of the plan but it’s frustrating to watch at times.

Yep agree with most of the above but when it’s a close game we always seem to lose. The only exception is when we are up by 5 goals and the opposition claw back to almost take it from us. We don’t know how to win the close ones and it’s been like this for some time.
That mental toughness will come, and hopefully they'll be able to finish off close games more often.
Another pre season will improve fitness, and the more games they play together with this current system the more positive results will come.
I'm not usually the glass half full type, but I can definitely see something in what they're trying to build.
We MUST at all costs retain Redman, pump games into Reid, Cox & Tsatas and we'll be playing and winning finals very soon.

The handball was crap.
The marking was crap.
Setterfield on a wing is crap.
The effort was decent.
A bit lucky their kicking was crap in the second quarter.
Looks like it will be 4/5 after next week but the hardest part of the draw will be done.
Just hope they do not drop the heads too much and keep the effort up as what they are doing will beat sides in the mid to bottom end of the ladder.

I'm not having a go, so don't read it that way.

But has our form been that good?
Did we really think we were some kind of force or player in this season?
Everyone has looked at the ladder the last month and thought, yep, Dons aren't supposed to be there.
We beat some s**t teams and we got Melbourne at the absolute best time.

We got run over the top of by pies. Not a bad performance.
We got destroyed by the cats, typical and expected.
We looked decent enough today and then lost one of our top 5 players and fell away as you would expect.

We will most likely lose next week. As expected 5 weeks ago.
None of those results actually impact where we are at.
We will probably snag a bunch of wins in a row after that, injuries permitting and will be sitting exactly where we deserve to be.

We do not have the players.
For the first time it looks like we have the coach.
We appear to have turned the corner, I don't think a win or loss actually changes that today.
The result is secondary at the moment.
i know it’s been a foreign concept but it’s okay to think we should have won a few games we lost!

Voss ain’t getting a gig with 8 touches and 0.2 in the vfl
Baldwin was far more impressive…first half in the backline then when he went forward in second half

Lack of composure/decision making with a few turnovers from rushing it forward was too costly in the end. Like that sequence with Redman in the fourth or Mcgrath with the cute kick straight to the opposition for a goal.

It's a shame Stringer can't make an impact for longer in the middle, cos a big body made such a difference early on. Also don't see how people can knock Phillips when he is one of the few smashing into packs and players. He's not going to win a skills comp but to swap him out to blood youth who will get beat up is not the answer imo. There are other players who need to be looked at well before him......

Overall pretty happy with the way the team played, every week there is progress even with the losses. Langford was a problem in the F50 and him being forced back had an immediate impact and the team suffered. Hope Rioli gets what he deserves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back