AFL Autopsy Loss to Richmond - Rd 11 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

The only association Mitchell will ever have with Essendon is mutual Hatred.

Otherwise cheers for the feedback
Thats just silly, If he is the best person out there you get him, Its like if Clarkson was available do you not consider the best coach for the job ?

Worsfold is/was a west coast man and the hatred between your clubs was pretty high as well as Sheedy whe he was at the tigers

Tiges had the night out from Heaven…couldn’t play better if they tried. They had guys kicking goals from inside the Dunny.

Statistically, the game is even, stevens……except where it mattered.
frowning.png

Just 2 things. The 2 c**** that gang tackled Zaka’s upper arm/shoulder into the ground…

• Why didn’t anyone fly the flag? This would have created a all-in in the old Federal League. It was a deliberate act to cancel out one of our Prime Movers. Parish would be spewing he cracked his thumb which brings me to our injury list. Getting bigger each week.

• Guelph. Giant kudos to Dodoro for picking a diamond in the rough. Never, ever stops putting in.
No malice in the tackle whatsoever. You're sounding like those Carlton flogs who wanted retribution over Lonergan's clumsy tackle on Carrazzo.

No malice in the tackle whatsoever. You're sounding like those Carlton flogs who wanted retribution over Lonergan's clumsy tackle on Carrazzo.

You clearly haven't been on the receiving end of a bury tackle with arms pinned and unable to defend oneself. :rolleyes:

And if you don't mind, do NOT me compare to Carlscum in any way shape of form. Thank you.

You clearly haven't been on the receiving end of a bury tackle with arms pinned and unable to defend oneself. :rolleyes:

And if you don't mind, do NOT me compare to Carlscum in any way shape of form. Thank you.
Actually I have. Quite a few times actually. Last one gave me an injury that kept me out for a couple of weeks. Just because somebody gets injured doesn't mean the person meant to hurt them.

Well then stop acting like them.

Actually I have. Quite a few times actually. Last one gave me an injury that kept me out for a couple of weeks. Just because somebody gets injured doesn't mean the person meant to hurt them.

Well then stop acting like them.

Well Zaka looks like the season the pain he was in. Not a "couple of weeks". :-(

"In your opinion" I am talking like Carlscum flogs. I'll take that as a comment.

Well Zaka looks like the season the pain he was in. Not a "couple of weeks". :-(

"In your opinion" I am talking like Carlscum flogs. I'll take that as a comment.
Yes. It sucks that he'll miss an extended period of time as a result of the tackle. However that doesn't mean there was malice in it.

Mitchell is a fantastic football brain but not a good person from what I’ve heard/seen. Dont want him anywhere near the club.
You couldn't do any worse than letting a mad scientist in, overseen by a group of incompetent leaders.

They tackle to hurt - there is a difference. Look at Dusty getting into the exposed guts of Bags.

We tend to play in a more gentlemanly fashion though we have imported a bit more mongrel in Saad, Smith and Stringer and a few of the new kids have a bit of s**t in them.

I find it very difficult to feel positive about these games because THE SAME THING CONTINUES TO HAPPEN.

I am not sure if people are watching at home or actually going to the games, but if you are there and watching how we are set up I honestly don't see how they can expect a different result when looking at a game from the crowd.

We continually crowd the opposition forward line, while they form a line right across the centre/half-back, just waiting for us to kick it out, so they can take possession, uncontested, then bomb it back in. I am really not sure of the point of this. The opposition STILL take F50 marks, uncontested and contested, or, failing that, the ball hits the deck and we are beaten at ground level.
If we happen to win at ground level, we just bomb it out to the opposition, and if we manage to somehow take a mark, the opposition are all guarding the space causing us to hold the ball up and chip it around and not making any ground anyways.

This is our continual loop and nobody appears to have an answer to it. It is incredibly frustrating to watch and is the reason why I can't take positives from any of our losses. It seems we don't have any answers, which is exactly how we play. Whether we win or lose depends more on the opposition that us.
This happened at the Collingwood, Hawthorn and Carlton games. I did not see the Geelong game to see if we did anything differently.

Very, very frustrating time to be an Essendon supporter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blew a few Js and downed a number of pints at Fed Square. Then I got a little emotional on the walk with all the kids there. Once we got to the game though, I was near the goals in the Ponsord Stand, but have a really hazy memory of the game due to all that went on before it and sneaking out for a f** at each break.

I do remember the free kick to Dusty when it should have been one to Hurley. I do remember Stringer missing a sitter. I also remember always noticing that they had one or two behind the ball and we didn't structure as well at the other end. Despite this, they also seemed to outnumber us at the ball. I find the last point the most frustrating.

This is our continual loop and nobody appears to have an answer to it. It is incredibly frustrating to watch and is the reason why I can't take positives from any of our losses. It seems we don't have any answers, which is exactly how we play. Whether we win or lose depends more on the opposition that us.
This happened at the Collingwood, Hawthorn and Carlton games. I did not see the Geelong game to see if we did anything differently.

If you haven't managed to work out that we've made wholesale changes to our midfield set up and personnel since the Carlton loss that have seen us beat 3 out of last year's top 4 in the contested stuff relatively comfortably and you're just going to wail 'same old s**t' then I don't know what will please you.

Perhaps if they just award us the cup tomorrow morning at a brunch Cotchin/Mitchell style.

If you haven't managed to work out that we've made wholesale changes to our midfield set up and personnel since the Carlton loss that have seen us beat 3 out of last year's top 4 in the contested stuff relatively comfortably and you're just going to wail 'same old s**t' then I don't know what will please you.

Perhaps if they just award us the cup tomorrow morning at a brunch Cotchin/Mitchell style.

I noticed you didn't quote the part where I mentioned our set up - as I then went on to talk about how the opposition continually set up a wall, and bomb the ball back in, over and over.

Personnel changes are irrelevant when they are continually doing the same thing and playing into the oppositions hands.

Perhaps, before you are so quick to criticise or accuse me of simply wanting us handed the cup, then stop and think a second before you hit that reply button.

I just want to see some sort of acknowledgement that our plan isn't working, or that we have a plan B when plan A is simply playing into the oppositions hand.

I noticed you didn't quote the part where I mentioned our set up - as I then went on to talk about how the opposition continually set up a wall, and bomb the ball back in, over and over.

Personnel changes are irrelevant when they are continually doing the same thing and playing into the oppositions hands.

Perhaps, before you are so quick to criticise or accuse me of simply wanting us handed the cup, then stop and think a second before you hit that reply button.

I just want to see some sort of acknowledgement that our plan isn't working, or that we have a plan B when plan A is simply playing into the oppositions hand.

If our plan isn't working, no one's plan is working.

Richmond did that exact thing to everyone last year so we are far from alone, have a little self awareness.

Just watched it again. Heppells tackle on number 23 from the tigers with 16.55 to go in the second quarter was so soft. After Zaharakis got crunched by 2 richmond players the captain should have absolutely crunched that richmond player too. We are too soft.

I find it very difficult to feel positive about these games because THE SAME THING CONTINUES TO HAPPEN.

I am not sure if people are watching at home or actually going to the games, but if you are there and watching how we are set up I honestly don't see how they can expect a different result when looking at a game from the crowd.

We continually crowd the opposition forward line, while they form a line right across the centre/half-back, just waiting for us to kick it out, so they can take possession, uncontested, then bomb it back in. I am really not sure of the point of this. The opposition STILL take F50 marks, uncontested and contested, or, failing that, the ball hits the deck and we are beaten at ground level.
If we happen to win at ground level, we just bomb it out to the opposition, and if we manage to somehow take a mark, the opposition are all guarding the space causing us to hold the ball up and chip it around and not making any ground anyways.

Obviously sacking Neeld wasn’t the total cure. Looks like We need to find another scapegoat before next Sunday :disappointed:

Just watched it again. Heppells tackle on number 23 from the tigers with 16.55 to go in the second quarter was so soft. After Zaharakis got crunched by 2 richmond players the captain should have absolutely crunched that richmond player too. We are too soft.
I post that in the game day thread, he was wide open, Hep should have nailed him, not only did Zaka get smashed, Dusty got Bags in the ribs with a big hit when his arms were up taking possession of the ball, Goaddard was also way to soft

Add the Western Bulldogs + Fremantle games to your list.

Geelong, GWS, Adelaide and Port Adelaide do not play the Wall.

Last edited:
One final thing that has really stuck out this year is how 'nice' our football is.

Bar Devon Smith, we don't have a lot of guys who get in the face of the opposition. Who make tackles be felt, blocks hit hard etc. We are a nice looking team. Every chance Richmond got, they smashed us into the deck. Ask Zaka.

At one point, one of our kids, Laverde maybe, or possibly Langford, had an opportunity to bury a Richmond player but just did what he had to do. Nothing more.

This bloody football club needs to take a stand

We've been through all this before. I agree with you. They deliberately set about taking Zaharakis out and Martin deliberately took out Baguley.

Guys on this thread believe people are nice and this deliberate targetting will never happen. So it was an accident that Zaharakis was rammed into the turf with his arms pinned by Nankervis and some other guy with their full body weight.

And Dusty was playing within the rules when he charged into Baguley's ribs at full pace.

In years gone by under Sheedy's coaching, it was the Bombers who were the unsociable ones. If Sheedy had any say in the coaching now, Nankervis, Martin and the other guy would have been on the receiving end of similar.

Not sure if you read Lloyds article through the week where he was taken into a room at Sheedys instruction and told to man up or don't bother playing the game.

Last edited:
If you fail to recognize that Nankervis defensive positioning and a distinct lack of desire to run from our ruckman, was a major contributor to how Richmond defensively set up and strangled us, was why he was more mediocre than anyone else. His direct opponent had the most influence on the ground, and it was a simple fix of work rate that would have countred it. Bellchambers no influence, Nankervis indirectly foiled our attacks, and then went forward and kicked 2 goals unopposed.
Bellchambers took a nice mark here and there, but other than that, was totally destroyed. Not everything is in a stats sheet.
Nankervis by far the most effective player on the ground.
I haven't quoted any stats nor have even seen any stats from the game, so I don't know why you bring it up.
I also agree Nank outworked TBell, but that was always going to happen. From what I saw on the night, TBell worked hard for what his capacity allows, it wasn't a work rate issue.

Thats just silly, If he is the best person out there you get him, Its like if Clarkson was available do you not consider the best coach for the job ?

Worsfold is/was a west coast man and the hatred between your clubs was pretty high as well as Sheedy whe he was at the tigers
Well, we’re not currently looking for a coach and I’m not sure what makes Mitchell the best available coach, despite his 10 rounds of experience as an assistant.

That aside, even when I entertain this hypothetical scenario, I doubt both parties would be interested in each other.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back