Loudest Crowd moments!

Remove this Banner Ad

What's more impressive is that you captured it on a phone 2 years before it was released! ;)
Hey you're right! But it definitely wasn't my 3GS.... and that's all I had before my 6s. I have my years mixed up in my head it seems.

Edit: Turns out it was the iPhone 5, which I don't even remember owning.

From Dees games that I've been at it's gotta be the two finals in 2018.

Although it was funny when the Adelaide CEO put out a thing in the print/digital media that travelling Dees fans were "too loud" in our 2017 win over there. That was a pisser!

MCG crowds were much louder back in the 80’s and early 90’s

I know that sounds like classic “Back in the good old days” bullshit... But it’s true!

Everyone was more involved. Fewer corporates. Less scoreboard watching. No phones = no texting, no distractions, etc. More alcohol. Fewer families, More hardcore vocal footy nuts. Fewer passive fans.

Crowds are way more sterile these days. If someone starts screaming and shouting like a lunatic, they tend to attract a bit of attention from everyone else.

It just means your average fan is less likely to gob off out of fear of embarrassing themselves.

30-40 years ago, many people didn’t give a s**t. There was a stronger barracking culture. If Collingwood got on a roll and kicked 3 quick goals, 40/50 thousand Pies fans would scream in unison “COLLINGWOOD!!” [clap clap clap] “COLLINGWOOD!!” [clap clap clap] “COLLINGWOOD!!” [clap clap clap]

(All supporters did their own club chant like that. But you don’t hear it much anymore.)

There was an afternoon game in 2016 I think hawks v cats. The pa kept buzzing in the northern stand and they switched it off.

then the sound was completely natural and different to most games. Someone will confirm this but they mess around with the crowd noise via the pa at the mcg

I know that sounds like classic “Back in the good old days” bullshit... But it’s true!

Everyone was more involved. Fewer corporates. Less scoreboard watching. No phones = no texting, no distractions, etc. More alcohol. Fewer families, More hardcore vocal footy nuts. Fewer passive fans.

Crowds are way more sterile these days. If someone starts screaming and shouting like a lunatic, they tend to attract a bit of attention from everyone else.

It just means your average fan is less likely to gob off out of fear of embarrassing themselves.

30-40 years ago, many people didn’t give a s**t. There was a stronger barracking culture. If Collingwood got on a roll and kicked 3 quick goals, 40/50 thousand Pies fans would scream in unison “COLLINGWOOD!!” [clap clap clap] “COLLINGWOOD!!” [clap clap clap] “COLLINGWOOD!!” [clap clap clap]

(All supporters did their own club chant like that. But you don’t hear it much anymore.)

Agree, crowds seem overly spread out, passive and confused now days. I hate that you cant just go into your members section without paying an extra $20 or whatever it is for a "reserved"seat. Such bullschnikt, now 50k supporters at the G feels empty.

Strangely, given there were only about 40,000 in the ground, one of the loudest crowd roars I can remember was the reaction to Buddy Franklins last minute game winning goal in the 2007 Elimination final. I was standing behind the goals and it actually felt like the walls were shaking.

Agree, crowds seem overly spread out, passive and confused now days. I hate that you cant just go into your members section without paying an extra $20 or whatever it is for a "reserved"seat. Such bullschnikt, now 50k supporters at the G feels empty.
Yep, you’ve nailed it

There weren’t as many member areas nor as many reserve seats. The MCC members was always a bastion of civility and silence. But there was no AFL members and club member sections on levels 1 and 2.

Nowadays many of the rank and file footy fans are forced up into the nosebleed seats on level 4. Some people still barrack loudly, but it’s hard to be involved when you’re so far removed from the action.

With the old Southern Stand, everyone just packed in tight on those old benches - mostly jam packed on the wing and both flanks and packed right behind the Punt Rd end goals. With everyone jammed together like that (fans of both clubs mixed together) it really lent itself to louder, more vocal barracking.

Same with the big crowds out at Waverley - the pockets and the back rows were often empty. Everyone was packed together on the wings & flanks and the cheer squads & kids were behind the goals.

When you get thousands of people from one club in the same seating area, they tend to be more passive during the play. They’ll make some noise after a goal or mark, but the play-by-play barracking intensity isn’t quite the same.

it’s a bit like a rock concert. If everyone around you is on their feet, dancing, punching the air and singing & shouting every word of every song, then naturally you’ll join in too and make some noise. But if everyone is just sitting there in their seats and watching the band passively like it’s a tv show then naturally you’ll feel a bit inhibited and less likely to fire up.

The intermingling of rival fans was always one the greatest things about the old VFL footy. There was never much trouble. Maybe the occasional fight between idiots who’d had too much to drink, but 99% of the time, there was simply good banter and extra loud barracking from fans in response to each other. i.e. People in the crowd winding each other up in a good way...

Those expanded club member areas and club reserve seating have lessened the atmosphere over time.

Last edited:
Yep, you’ve nailed it

it’s a bit like a rock concert. If everyone around you is on their feet, dancing, punching the air and singing & shouting every word of every song, then naturally you’ll join in too and make some noise. But if everyone is just sitting there in their seats and watching the band passively like it’s a tv show then naturally you’ll feel a bit inhibited and less likely to fire up.
Absolutely spot on. The "crowd" at Motley Crüe a couple of years ago were a disgrace. Full house, packed, pitiful from the crowd. The band did everything to fire them up. Absolutely abysmal.

lol...or if a policeman walking the boundary went past...WHO'S THE MAN WITH THE 1 CENT PIECE...COPPAAA COPPAAAA!!

Yep, you’ve nailed it

There weren’t as many member areas nor as many reserve seats. The MCC members was always a bastion of civility and silence. But there was no AFL members and club member sections on levels 1 and 2.

Nowadays many of the rank and file footy fans are forced up into the nosebleed seats on level 4. Some people still barrack loudly, but it’s hard to be involved when you’re so far removed from the action.

With the old Southern Stand, everyone just packed in tight on those old benches - mostly jam packed on the wing and both flanks and packed right behind the Punt Rd end goals. With everyone jammed together like that (fans of both clubs mixed together) it really lent itself to louder, more vocal barracking.

Same with the big crowds out at Waverley - the pockets and the back rows were often empty. Everyone was packed together on the wings & flanks and the cheer squads & kids were behind the goals.

When you get thousands of people from one club in the same seating area, they tend to be more passive during the play. They’ll make some noise after a goal or mark, but the play-by-play barracking intensity isn’t quite the same.

The intermingling of rival fans was always one the greatest things about the old VFL footy. There was never much trouble. Maybe the occasional fight between idiots who’d had too much to drink, but 99% of the time, there was simply good banter and extra loud barracking from fans in response to each other. i.e. People in the crowd winding each other up in a good way...

Those expanded club member areas and club reserve seating have lessened the atmosphere over time.
Anzac day and Collingwood v Carlton games in the 90's was a perfect example of Bombers, Blues and Magpies fans mixed together. Unfortunatly those days are gone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When Richmond kicked the 1st goal against GWS kicked by Kane Lambert at the MCG in the 2017 prelim was the loudest i have ever heard at any football game and i usually get to 2 games a week. 90,000 Richmond supporters to 5,000 GWS supporters all erupting in unison was amazing.

For me it would be the last few minutes of the 2006 Grand Final. It was so loud that the only reason we knew the siren had gone was when we saw Dean Cox raise his arms to celebrate and the Swans players dropping to the ground. The Collingwood chant in the last quarter of the 2018 Grand Final seemed very loud as well.

When Richmond kicked the 1st goal against GWS kicked by Kane Lambert at the MCG in the 2017 prelim was the loudest i have ever heard at any football game and i usually get to 2 games a week. 90,000 Richmond supporters to 5,000 GWS supporters all erupting in unison was amazing.

I remember the 95' semi vs the Dons; Scott Turner knocked someone out, Sean Denham had a running goal from the middle and then Matty Knights followed it up with two running goals from the centre of his own ... that 3Q definitely one of the loudest crowds I've heard. Were you at that game? How did it compare?

The largest one sided crowd in AFL history, never heard anything like it, was at the game on level 1, it was deafening. It was intense too, big moment and we hadnt been to a prelim in ages, it was like years of collective frustration and excitement coming out.

For me it would be the last few minutes of the 2006 Grand Final. It was so loud that the only reason we knew the siren had gone was when we saw Dean Cox raise his arms to celebrate and the Swans players dropping to the ground. The Collingwood chant in the last quarter of the 2018 Grand Final seemed very loud as well.
Yep, was there. Didnt know the siren had gone until i saw all the West Coast boys were hugging each other. Hotdogs from Big Brother was sitting 2 rows in front of us and looked like he was getting a head start on the eagles boys on the nose beers. Cooked as

I remember the 95' semi vs the Dons; Scott Turner knocked someone out, Sean Denham had a running goal from the middle and then Matty Knights followed it up with two running goals from the centre of his own ... that 3Q definitely one of the loudest crowds I've heard. Were you at that game? How did it compare?
I was also there that game and funny you mention Scotty Turner as he used to work at the Commonwealth Bank with my wife at the time and . Matty Knights was unbelievable that game and really inspired.

Was that before or after the power ranger stance?
Before, And You should really consider your team lucky it wasn't them in Adelaide that night because it would have been much the same as the smashing they got at the same venue earlier that year, And considering your team should have played Geelong in Geelong the week before your extra lucky. Hand fed flag really

Jack Anthony goal against Adelaide in 2009
Luke Ball pre lim 2011
Degoey goal in first qtr of the 2018 GF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back