Luke Davis-Uniacke. Will he ever live up to the media hype that he receives?

Remove this Banner Ad

Cadillac

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
There’s about 10 pages of articles on this bloke from the herald sun and the afl site claiming he’s on the verge of a massive season. And talking up how good he is. I have never understood the hype for this guy. He’s soft as butter. Doesn’t kick goals and doesn’t have a tank. Why do North fans and the AFL media keep hyping him up?

Well this isn't in any way predictable. Dogs fan OP talking down something North related.
Weird rivalry.

As for LDU. Tough to come into a team on the decline that then loses some midfield grunt.
Played about 30 games so some patience is required. Things take time.

He was bloody great in Round 1 against Port. He's 21 years old and his whole AFL career to date has been in a bottom 8 side. Weird bloke to have to the gun.

And 10 pages of articles, please. Lighten up on the hyperbole, it doesn't validate your point of view by completely exaggerating (I can't even find 2 recent articles on him).

I saw enough of him in 2019 to convince me he's a 10+ year player. Will more than likely evolve with North's system. 32nd? game tonight. That's nothing.

He was bloody great in Round 1 against Port. He's 21 years old and his whole AFL career to date has been in a bottom 8 side. Weird bloke to have to the gun.

And 10 pages of articles, please. Lighten up on the hyperbole, it doesn't validate your point of view by completely exaggerating (I can't even find 2 recent articles on him).

Sort of. Had a good first half and then went away a bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like most of North's top rated young players so he shouldn't get all the buzz but at the same time they appear to be a pretty ordinary side coming off a miserable year last year.

Not exactly a surprise that one or two of them are going to get some buzz. The commentators have to say something for a 120 minutes. Would be rude to just bash them for all that time so they pump up a shining light.

My LDU take is he came in to the league and despite being a dominant junior his tricks didn't really work. He was slow. He lacks skills on his left side. He clearly didn't have a huge tank.

But everything started to click last year and he's potentially got a very high ceiling. He's a genuine big body who can move through traffic with ease and his skills are at least decent and could get even better.

Some big body mids are ready to go from day 1 because they have the size but many take a lot of time to adapt to the pace of the game and to either build the strength to crash and bash and/or add new tricks.

Ldu is the least of our worries lol, he's developing nicely in a poor team without a lot of support. Watch his first qtr last week, the kid has it. Hasn't quite been able to put it together consistently yet, fades in and out of games but he's a young developing player with not many games under his belt. Hopefully he gets 20+ games in this year. If he doesn't come on in the next 18-24 months then maybe it would be time to worry, but I betcha he does. When he's up and about he looks fantastic, just needs to find consistency that will come with age and more experience

Pretty decent young player in a struggling side.

Nothing more, Nothing less. I dont see a lot of Hype. Just North fans happy they have a potential A grade midfielder, Which this may seem like a shot at North, Right now they are pretty much the lowest point you can get having finally a season where they commited to sucking (Also thought picking Phillips over Mcdonald will haunt them for about 14 years)

and FFS hes played under 50 games.

Pretty decent young player in a struggling side.

Nothing more, Nothing less. I dont see a lot of Hype. Just North fans happy they have a potential A grade midfielder, Which this may seem like a shot at North, Right now they are pretty much the lowest point you can get having finally a season where they commited to sucking (Also thought picking Phillips over Mcdonald will haunt them for about 14 years)

and FFS hes played under 50 games.

From what I have seen of Will Phillips he is a very sound selection, but I am scratching my head as to why he is not being selected at present. As for Davies-Maniac, he got going quite nicely towards the end of 2020, and really looked at home in AFL ranks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back