Free Agency Luke Dunstan [joins Melbourne as an unrestricted free agent]

Remove this Banner Ad

Has worked his way nicely back into it.

Could see Carlton coming to the table.
Is some pretty impressive form from him. I’ve gone from thinking he’s completing done at the end of this year, to thinking his form will maybe help us get a third rounder to him to hoping we re-sign him. His stoppage work is incredible at the moment and he finally looks fit enough to play full games in midfield without going to the bench regularly.

Effective as a tagger/run-with player. As long as he acknowledges his own shortcomings (kicking) and avoids this deficiency by handling more, he can definitely be a serviceable B grade midfielder.

FWIW, Dunstan keeping the best opposition midfielder accountable while racking up clearances himself is infinitely better than Taranto getting 42 possessions, 29 of which being clangers/turnovers from uncontested situations.

Within a month I have gone from thinking he will be delisted or traded as steak knives, to wanting to sign him at all costs.
This is the player he was destined to become but for whatever reason he stagnated after his first season.

Love what he brings to our midfield. We look so much better when he’s playing like this. Decision is improving game by game too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh yeah because ur so chocked with talent ?

You have a serious need for some AFL standard players in the 24 to 27 age group.
Any position.
We have Laird, Keays and Sloane currently as our main men in the guts all very same same as Dunstan plus Crouch to return also same same. Whilst Sloane is on the decline and Crouch may leave I’d still rather stay clear of Dunstan despite agreeing about having a need for players in that age bracket it would just be another player in the way of our young mids coming through in Schoenberg, Berry, Pedlar and whoever we draft come end of the year

Oh yeah because ur so chocked with talent ?

You have a serious need for some AFL standard players in the 24 to 27 age group.
Any position.
???. Do you even watch our games?

For inside mids in the 24-27 age range we have laird, crouch and keays.. (then we have another two - three younger ones waiting in the wings)

Three blokes that accumulate the * out of it!..

Then we also have Sloane for another year or two.

High accumulating inside mids are the last thing we need.

We need a couple of elite ball using mids to receive the ball off these guys.. not more of them.

Dunstan and that other rumoured lad from North (Dumont) are the last thing we need.

Laird,sloane and keays already take up 80% of our CB’s attendances with their high acccumulating but poor disposal shite. We need less of that.

For inside mids in the 24-27 age range we have laird, crouch and keays.. (then we have another two - three younger ones waiting in the wings)

Three blokes that accumulate the fu** out of it!..

We need a couple of elite ball using mids to receive the ball off these guys.. not more of them.

Dunstan and that other rumoured lad from North (Dumont) are the last thing we need.

Laird,sloane and keays already take up 80% of our CB’s attendances with their high acccumulating but poor disposal sh*te. We need less of that.
I've watched you a lot this season yes.
3 players in that core age group is Nowhere near enough .
You have a lot of kids then some oldies like Sloane, McKay and Tex.

“St Kilda was looking at off-loading Luke Dunstan,” Caro said. “Dunstan might go to Adelaide as part of a side deal that would free up a bit more money for Brad Crouch, which would mean St Kilda was happy, Adelaide was happy because it would lift the draft pick…

what a turning moment for saint kilda

I can honestly see him leaving. I mean he’s been leadership group, he was given the #7 after Lenny’s last season, but the club has still treated him pretty poorly by not giving him more opportunities to prove himself the last few seasons (in fairness he was injured most of 2020 after playing a great round 1 and couldn’t get back in) and he’s been a bit of a whipping boy for supporters in more recent times.

This last month has obviously given him a decent pay day no matter what he does. He’s already on reportedly good salary… probably somewhere around 450k. it was looking like a delist or very cheap UFA anywhere that would take him at the end of this season, but now it wouldn’t surprise me if he got somewhere close to the same mark as his last contract. I don’t think Saints can afford to pay that (maybe with Geary, Hanners, Carlisle and Roberton off books we may be able to make it work) so I think he leaves for any decent off from another club to secure his future. And I wouldn’t blame him one bit tbh

“St Kilda was looking at off-loading Luke Dunstan,” Caro said. “Dunstan might go to Adelaide as part of a side deal that would free up a bit more money for Brad Crouch, which would mean St Kilda was happy, Adelaide was happy because it would lift the draft pick…

Wdym?

I can honestly see him leaving. I mean he’s been leadership group, he was given the #7 after Lenny’s last season, but the club has still treated him pretty poorly by not giving him more opportunities to prove himself the last few seasons (in fairness he was injured most of 2020 after playing a great round 1 and couldn’t get back in) and he’s been a bit of a whipping boy for supporters in more recent times.

This last month has obviously given him a decent pay day no matter what he does. He’s already on reportedly good salary… probably somewhere around 450k. it was looking like a delist or very cheap UFA anywhere that would take him at the end of this season, but now it wouldn’t surprise me if he got somewhere close to the same mark as his last contract. I don’t think Saints can afford to pay that (maybe with Geary, Hanners, Carlisle and Roberton off books we may be able to make it work) so I think he leaves for any decent off from another club to secure his future. And I wouldn’t blame him one bit tbh

Wdym?
I really don't think he has been treated that badly. If he was told that he won't be picked under any circumstances this year, that's pretty ordinary, but I'd be surprised if that is actually what was said. He's been given over 100 games and the vast majority have been as a genuine inside midfielder - his suited role. While I'm sure there have been some development issues that the club are responsible for, Luke would surely reflect that he took a long time to develop and showed minimal improvement from year one to year five.

That said, I am stoked for him that he is playing so well. He is a type that wears his heart on his sleeve and clearly is loved by his teammates. I've always remembered his tears after a close loss early on his career and have loved how passionate he is about the club. I hope the two parties can come to an agreement and sign a new contract. It would be great to see him have success with the club.

Crazy to think now we were discussing pushing Crouch's price up to get the Crows pick 2 whilst offloading Dunstan for bugger all to free up the cap space to do it.

Glad that didn't come to fruition.

He has put in one solid month of football for the first time in 7 years ??.

I remember we signed David Armitage for 3 more years off the back of such a stint and he delivered pretty much zero.

Going to take an extended block of form to get most Saints fans on board I think, but good luck to him if he gets a good payday elsewhere.

Three blokes that accumulate the fu** out of it!..

Laird,sloane and keays already take up 80% of our CB’s attendances with their high acccumulating but poor disposal sh*te. We need less of that.

Speaking of wings...... wingers to be exact...... Paul Seedsman is having a good season even if he is 29 years old.

Averages around 15-16 disposals a game. This season he averages around 25.

I remember we signed David Armitage for 3 more years off the back of such a stint and he delivered pretty much zero.

Going to take an extended block of form to get most Saints fans on board I think, but good luck to him if he gets a good payday elsewhere.

Armo actually had an outstanding season before getting re-signed.

Spook has had a good month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Armo did his back on the first day of the following preseason and it was all downhill physically for him from there. His body deteriorated badly, which wasn’t foreseeable at the time we resigned him.

We were super-unlucky with both him and Roberton.

St Kilda should not let him go. He has always been a good player but for whatever reason, St Kilda chose to dick him around this year. Funny how once he and Marshall came back, their form has turned around.

The downside about his ability is that Collingwood probably wont be able to get him for cheap anymore like I wanted to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back