Luke Edwards Father/Son Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Recontracting MacKay and Strachan were mistakes. Luke should have been on our list. Strachan will not play AFL with Thilthorpe there now and Frampton.
Pretty clear that the AFC did not rate Luke AT ALL (or pretty close to that) as we could have very easily structured our draft hand/playing list to accommodate him. We weren't alone. Luke didn't get picked up until pick 52. Only time will tell whether we right or wrong.

Given we used three picks on mids one pick on a key forward and the final pick on a small forward Luke Edwards was not in our draft mix.

We needed mids (wing/flankers). Got three we rated higher than than Edwards.

We need a genuine KPF. We got that in Tillthorpe.

We actually really need a genuine small forward. Stengle is our depth chart, and his off field antics are a genuine concern. The romance is there with Rowe, but I reckon Durdin was first choice.

Leaves Edwards out of our first five picks.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Given we used three picks on mids one pick on a key forward and the final pick on a small forward Luke Edwards was not in our draft mix.

We needed mids (wing/flankers). Got three we rated higher than than Edwards.

We need a genuine KPF. We got that in Tillthorpe.

We actually really need a genuine small forward. Stengle is our depth chart, and his off field antics are a genuine concern. The romance is there with Rowe, but I reckon Durdin was first choice.

Leaves Edwards out of our first five picks.

Given they were talking about Rowe in the pre-draft meeting I'm not so sure about our preference on Durdin/Rowe being the former. I think we wanted a genuine small forward with good goal sense, not another small player we're converting because their size means they can't play midfield.

I don't, I'm pretty sure we wanted someone ready to go round 1 to fill in for Stengle...and every chance if Rowe performs Stengle will possibly become depth and skating on thin ice.

From memory Durdin had multiple issues with his hamstrings in the SANFL this season which also saw him miss the Combine testing season's end as well which wouldn't have helped his chances.

I think that the % play was not to pick him up. For the sake of the lad himself, I hope he does prove the club wrong - strength to his arm if he does.

Luke might not be great athletically but players with his composure, footy smarts amd very efficient foot skills aren't anything to be sneezed at.

I'll wait a few years before I rule the line through him.

His old man wasn't great athletically either but he forged a decent career and was certainly rated better than an average footballer.
Tyson was quick as a youngster. Saw him run down players regularly including Wanganeen, which is no mean feat.
When he slowed with age, his skills and footy smarts kept him on the frontline.

or not sign up another 30+ year old for another year...
giphy-com-dr-anthony-fauci-thought-it-gif.869360

...and we should know better by now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back