Luke Jackson vs Tim English

Who will end up the better player?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

English is a better contested mark and set shot but Jackson has him in every other area.

I’d say English’s foot skills are better in general. Although Jackson has pulled off some impressive kicks on the run.

I don’t think they are similar players. Jackson is on track to be one of the better rucks in the comp. English is a tall KPP who I really think would make a great CHB.

I think Tim English is one of the softest ruckman going around. He honestly makes Cale Morton look like Glenn Archer. Time and time again he gets physically slaughtered every week in the ruck. For a guy he's size it'd like he doesn't know how to use it?

His contested marking is impressive and I think he's got potential to become a good solid key forward.

Jackson is a rare breed type or ruckman. A whole new prototype that's going to be impressive when he hits the 70-100 game mark.

Both have strengths and weaknesses. If Jackson had English contested marking and forward craft he'd be the complete package.

Both good young players in their own way.

I think Tim English is one of the softest ruckman going around. He honestly makes Cale Morton look like Glenn Archer. Time and time again he gets physically slaughtered every week in the ruck. For a guy he's size it'd like he doesn't know how to use it?
Don’t think he’s soft, he backs into contests etc. his body just hasn’t filled out yet, not sure it will considering he’s been in the system for a few years now, better as a second ruck and floater around the ground imo, can play, dogs need to get an actual proper ruck in though imo, not sure it’s english’s role tbh

Don’t think he’s soft, he backs into contests etc. his body just hasn’t filled out yet, not sure it will considering he’s been in the system for a few years now, better as a second ruck and floater around the ground imo, can play, dogs need to get an actual proper ruck in though imo, not sure it’s english’s role tbh
That is just a copout. English is plenty big enough in the body.

Problem is that he just doesn't attack ruck contests. It may be a confidence issue but unless he develops some aggression he will not be as good as his natural attributes demand.

Problem is that he just doesn't attack ruck contests. It may be a confidence issue but unless he develops some aggression he will not be as good as his natural attributes demand.
So the built like Tarzan but plays like Jane suit the narrative for English?

Don’t think he is, he still hasn’t filled out, probably why he has a confidence issue in attacking ruck contests cause he gets bullied due to size difference

Don’t think he is, he still hasn’t filled out, probably why he has a confidence issue in attacking ruck contests cause he gets bullied due to size difference
Sorry.

He gets bullied because of an intent difference.

If you watched the Dogs through the 90s you would have seen a seriously undersized Steve Kretiuk take on all the big forwards with his intent the key.

Luke Jackson is currently ahead of English and is only in his second season

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Tim English is not a no. 1 ruck. He can be a decent no. 2 while playing forward, but he's genuinely diabolical in the ruck against good no. 1 rucks.

Luke Jackson will be, hopefully for the Eagles replacing Nic Nat when he retires, but probably at Melbourne replacing Gawn.

Would take Jackson every day of the week, and that was before the GF.

Still think English is currently better. Stats suggest he had the better year but Jacksons ending was so impressive. Dees going from Gawn into Jackson is very similar to the Eagles with Cox into Nic Nat

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still think English is currently better.
Interesting take.

Jackson's ground-ball ability, speed, footy IQ and athleticism has him as a vastly superior product in my eyes, but we all see things differently, I suppose.

Gawn was an AA ruck at 24, the same age as English is now, but English looks a mile off being a number one ruck. Jackson at 19 could arguably do it now. That said, English only just turned 24.

It's a big year for English in 2022.

Still think English is currently better. Stats suggest he had the better year but Jacksons ending was so impressive. Dees going from Gawn into Jackson is very similar to the Eagles with Cox into Nic Nat
I don't think stats have much bearing because English spent most of the year playing as a number one ruck, while Jackson spent it playing second fiddle to the competition's best ruck.

English is in at an interesting point in his career where we've seen glimpses of the player he could become, but it's still not clear where his best position is. Could yet end up a forward or defender, whereas with Jackson it is hard to imagine him ending up anywhere but as a starting ruck as Gawn's career winds down.

I don't think stats have much bearing because English spent most of the year playing as a number one ruck, while Jackson spent it playing second fiddle to the competition's best ruck.

English is in at an interesting point in his career where we've seen glimpses of the player he could become, but it's still not clear where his best position is. Could yet end up a forward or defender, whereas with Jackson it is hard to imagine him ending up anywhere but as a starting ruck as Gawn's career winds down.
If anything, playing second fiddle hides your flaws. Jackson plays as a 3rd tall forward and a 2nd ruck. English spent times in the same game is primary ruck and 2nd tall.

Interesting take.

Jackson's ground-ball ability, speed, footy IQ and athleticism has him as a vastly superior product in my eyes, but we all see things differently, I suppose.

Gawn was an AA ruck at 24, the same age as English is now, but English looks a mile off being a number one ruck. Jackson at 19 could arguably do it now. That said, English only just turned 24.

It's a big year for English in 2022.
Agree and I think it is very likely Jackson has overtaken English already if his late season form is anything to go off. But I don't want to be reactionary as sometimes, players take longer to reach their potential

If anything, playing second fiddle hides your flaws. Jackson plays as a 3rd tall forward and a 2nd ruck. English spent times in the same game is primary ruck and 2nd tall.
The point was more that someone who is playing full-time ruck is going to have statistics reflect on their output more favourable than someone who is playing a 3rd tall and part-time ruck.

Even if playing 2nd fiddle does hide your flaws (and I don't think it does), Jackson was in the top handful of the Dees as far as impact in the Grand Final goes. English is already a solid player and I predict that he will become a very good players once the Dogs find the right role for him. But, as for which I would rather have in my side, the answer is pretty clear after the last few weeks.

If I had to pick which player to have in my team next year and next year alone, it's Luke Jackson.

If I had to pick which player to have in my team for the next decade, it's also Luke Jackson.

How does it hide your flaws?

What flaws of English were hidden when he was 3rd tall forward behind Naughton and Bruce, what flaws in the ruck were hidden when Martin was the number 1 ruck?

English simply isn't a first ruck, but he's playing there because Dogs don't think they have a better option. I dont think we will see the best he can be as a player until they do have a better choice.

Jackson is still early in his career, but has all the traits of a gun. However he also gets to play his preferred role of being the back up and number 2 utility, because of Gawn. This is exactly the role I reckon English should play.

Jackson probably end of career does it better though.

Tim English is not a no. 1 ruck. He can be a decent no. 2 while playing forward, but he's genuinely diabolical in the ruck against good no. 1 rucks.

Luke Jackson will be, hopefully for the Eagles replacing Nic Nat when he retires, but probably at Melbourne replacing Gawn.

Would take Jackson every day of the week, and that was before the GF.

Good luck with that. 3 first rounders will get it done :)

Hard to argue against Jackson right now - but if I'm looking on the bright side with English, his first 6 weeks this season were huge as a key forward and backup ruck. Then he got concussed, missed over a month, and when he came back had to solo ruck up until finals. When he got back to being a dedicated tall forward during the finals, he looked a completely different player to the start of the season, didn't kick a single goal.

I'd like to think with a good break and another pre-season he'll be able to re-capture that form somewhat consistently.

Tim English Rounds 1-6 Averages:
1.5 goals
2.5 contested marks
2.5 marks inside 50

Tim English Round 11-Grand Final Averages:
.6 goals
1 contested mark
.8 marks inside 50

Back