Play Nice Majak Daw in hospital after jumping from the Bolte bridge

Remove this Banner Ad

Is anyone surprised after the racist abuse he cops on the field and how the Sudanese community is treated here.
He came here for a better life but in a a way it’s worse because he has to deal with white Anglo racists who think they own this country.
You haven’t heard racism until you’re inside a lunch room with 50 white Anglo tradies on a building site talking about this incident today.
One less Sudanese, didn’t do a good enough job, should have died were some of the comments being thrown around. This is after an Incolink counsellour came out and talked to the site about mental health after a worker had taken his own life, and how big of an issue it is in the building industry.
Disgusting. Racism is rife in Australia. Stop kidding yourselves.

Last edited:

Is anyone surprised after the racist abuse he cops on the field and how the Sudanese community is treated here.
He came here for a better life but in a a way it’s wirss because he has to deal with white Anglo racists who think they own this country.
You haven’t heard racism until you’re inside a lunch room with 50 white Anglo tradies on a building site talking about this incident today.
One less Sudanese, didn’t do a good enough job, should have died were some of the comments being thrown around. This is after an Incolink counsellour came out and talked to the site about mental health after a worker had taken his own life, and how big of an issue it is in the building industry.
Why do you not report this to HR and/or your boss then?

He came here for a better life but in a a way it’s wirss because he has to deal with white Anglo racists who think they own this country.

Walked past a building site today near my house; a tradies ute had a bumper sticker with the Australian flag on it that said 'fit in or f... off'. We still have a long way to go.

Obviously the bloke isn't in a good frame of mind, and people can tend to feel trapped by problems and keep things inside, even if others are willing to listen. Still, it's disappointing that whatever is going on in Majak's head has gotten him to this point. Doing this so publicly makes it seem as much a cry for help as anything else, and it's a shame that with all the support and people around him (football club, fans, friends, family, African community), that he's still felt that this was the only way out.

Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not knocking the guy whatsoever, just a sad state of affairs. I hope the bloke is alright, and he can recover both mentally and physically (and not over-push himself or feel pressure to get back to footy) from this, and live a happy and healthy life going forward.

On Topic: this is very sad, and I wish him all the help and health he will need to recover.

Slightly off-topic, but since racism has been brought up: we can all agree that Australia has a long, long way to go on racial equality. I would say we're doing better than 90% of nations out there, and if you doubt this, try being African in Asia, or in the Indian subcontinent, or the US, or southern Brazil... but we can do much much better, there's no doubt of that.

But where we can do much, much, much better is in mental health. As a country, we're appalling at dealing with suicide, depression, anxiety... and especially for men, and most especially for men in blokier fields like sport. There have been some steps made, but not enough. In this case, if we blame only racism, we let ourselves off the hook in a way. We can just blame other people for their racism rather than having an honest conversation about mental health and our own responses to it. Of course this is inter-connected with racism (racist things often get said by the same guys who refuse to have any feelings that aren't anger, lust, or whatever booze can bring out of them). But that goes both ways: how many of the people levelling racist abuse were themselves happy, well-adjusted people?

I don't think we should turn this into a debate on racism unless Daw tells us that that is where this came from. We should deal with what we know (or are pretty sure) has happened: a man was in a bad place and didn't know where to go to get out of it. If we need to turn this into any kind of debate, maybe start there.

Though the majority of posts here have been supportive which is great I’m not sure leaving these threads open is the way to go? Too many immature snipers have taken their opportunity to make wise cracks.

A young man is hurt after making a decision which will impact him, his family and close friends for a long long time. Hopefully he gets the help and support that’s needed whilst his privacy is respected. Dissecting the who, what and how of what happened by outsiders is not important. I get that mental health should be a publically discussed issue so that people know they have support, but I don’t think we need to specially analyse one person’s struggles unless they elect to open up about it.

Majak came to our club this year as an ambassador for Worksafe game of the month. We are a tiny town in the middle of Victoria 4 hours from Melbourne. A huge inconvenience in the middle of his own season. He was amazing with his attitude and time with our kids, players and families and the ladies wanting photos. We have a couple of young Sudanese lads who play for us and it made their day that their hero came all that way. Our club will not forget the day Maj came to town and we all hope that he can come out the other side of this ok. Good luck big fella

I don't understand why the media won't mention the "s" word. I think it should be discussed openly, surely that is the first step. The taboo needs to be broken if we are to change the alarming rate at which we lose members of our society to this.

Hope Majak gets the help he needs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't understand why the media won't mention the "s" word. I think it should be discussed openly, surely that is the first step. The taboo needs to be broken if we are to change the alarming rate at which we lose members of our society to this.

There is a well established statistical link between the reporting of suicide attempts, and an ensuing uptick in suicide attempts. The media not reporting suicides = less people die. That is why.

Discussing mental health issues in society is very important. However the media needs to be careful with reporting on it to make sure articles don’t end up sensationalising the issue.

I love watching the big fella play, I still say the best home and away game this year was North v Syd at Etihad. Maj's battle with Allir Allir was absolutely outstanding, two Sudanese boys going hammer and tong. I'm saddened to hear what has happened and wish him all the best.

Professionally I’ve seen 100s of suicides, successful and not. Everyone ive helped thinks no one cares and everyone I couldnt has family and friends asking why.
Chances are there is someone reading this thread that is in a dark place. PLEASE If that’s you think of the person you’d drop everything for and ring them.
Good luck Majak.

Discussing mental health issues in society is very important. However the media needs to be careful with reporting on it to make sure articles don’t end up sensationalising the issue.

Or worse, glamourising it.

It is certainly a delicate balancing act but I think the coverage of Chester Bennington, Robin Williams, Anthony Bourdain etc has been done well. Need to make people think it's okay to seek help, that it affects even the rich and famous, and to understand the terrible ramifications on their friends and family afterwards.

There is a well established statistical link between the reporting of suicide attempts, and an ensuing uptick in suicide attempts. The media not reporting suicides = less people die. That is why.

I'd prefer the media not mention it, but it has been reported everywhere, which is what makes not using the "s" word so ridiculous.

Though the majority of posts here have been supportive which is great I’m not sure leaving these threads open is the way to go? Too many immature snipers have taken their opportunity to make wise cracks.

A young man is hurt after making a decision which will impact him, his family and close friends for a long long time. Hopefully he gets the help and support that’s needed whilst his privacy is respected. Dissecting the who, what and how of what happened by outsiders is not important. I get that mental health should be a publically discussed issue so that people know they have support, but I don’t think we need to specially analyse one person’s struggles unless they elect to open up about it.

I agree with this. Especially when you never know who is reading the posts and what they could be going through themselves.

It could take 1 idiotic comment from someone in this thread about depression or suicide for them to decide to end it.

Lifeline number is 13 11 14 just in case anyone reading this thread needs to chat.

I'd prefer the media not mention it, but it has been reported everywhere, which is what makes not using the "s" word so ridiculous.
Fortunately "everywhere" does not include the 4th estate. Statistically they are saving lives. I'm not quite sure what you are bemoaning tbh.

History shows that copycat behaviour happens.
Media have a detente with police about reporting of suicides.

Only one person really knows what was going through his head last night. Until he makes the choice to talk, if he makes that choice, chalking this incident up to race or any other specific issue is extremely premature and not really that enlightening.

A lot of people don't get a second chance at life. That's something to be really grateful for.

Heard it myself at two games.

Yeah, people are kidding themselves if they don't believe it happens. I've heard comments at more games than I'd care to remember (not specifically talking about Daw here), enough to know he'd be on the receiving end too (I'm sure most of it isn't heard by the players in question, but it's present in the crowd).

Hopefully he gets the help he needs and makes a steady recovery.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back