Society/Culture Marriage equality debate - Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I forgot that that this thread was titled "Marriage Equality Parade" rather than "Marriage Equality Debate".

The debates over. There isn't a single valid argument against gay marriage that isn't also against all marriage.

But instead of giving up your position I see youve made up a claim that arond 10% of gays are monogomus, and seem offended that you arent being taken seriously.

Yes, because the narrowest majority of 9 unelected judges = the opinion of all of America :rolleyes:
How did you fell when the High Court struck down the ACT Marriage Equality Act? Unelected judges imposing their interpretation of the law if the land against the will of the majority.

Two thirds of the states prohibit gay marriage. Before he was elected Obama said he opposed gay marriage.

Four out of the five judges opposed the decision so effectively it comes down to one judge. Democracy is not well served when unelected officials determine the law instead of elected representatives.
Why must democracy be served?

How did you fell when the High Court struck down the ACT Marriage Equality Act? Unelected judges imposing their interpretation of the law if the land against the will of the majority.

I was merely pointing out that the Supreme Court ruling says nothing about the opinions of the American population and hence provides no factual justification for the statement that "we are socially behind all of America".

Worth mentioning to the dimwits/closeted homosexuals who claim this is undemocratic that polls say 60% of Americans support marriage equality.

But even that is not a valid argument. The laws that govern us are not simply about what the majority thinks (100 years ago, the majority thought women shouldn't vote and Aboriginal hunts were a fine sport), but what is fair and just. It is fair and just that gender play no role in determining how one chooses their partner, just as it was fair and just to allow women and Aboriginals to vote.

I expect Australia to pass gay marriage later in the year. Despite Abbott's 17th century worldview, his influence doesn't outweigh big daddy America.

Now can we move onto more serious issues, like the increasing authoritarianism of our government? Internet censorship, government spying on citizens, stripping our citizenship for saying boo, child abuse at Nauru, corporate takeover via TPP, the stuff Liberal and Labor are actually doing while we're distracted by these smaller issues that impact 2% of the population.

unelected

unelected

unelected

1981_280_83.jpg

Worth mentioning to the dimwits/closeted homosexuals who claim this is undemocratic that polls say 60% of Americans support marriage equality.

people whos argument is that the judges were not elected kinda goes out the window with this one. that number is only going to keep growing as well :thumbsu:

This is 2015s Kony2012. Not many real give a s**t but want to be seen to be intelligent and actually give a s**t.

Typical quasi-intelligent douchebags. Let's all care about literally everything and everyone that does not impact on us.

Where did that rascal Kony get to anyway?

This is 2015s Kony2012. Not many real give a s**t but want to be seen to be intelligent and actually give a s**t.

Typical quasi-intelligent douchebags. Let's all care about literally everything and everyone that does not impact on us.

Where did that rascal Kony get to anyway?

Again, irrelevant rants in lieu of a valid argument.

There are definitely valid concerns about States rights and the wide interpretation of the Fourteenth Amendment - but throwing around words like 'undemocratic' and 'unelected judges' and the like just reeks of ideological instead of logical opposition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think people should care so IMO they probably don't actually care but are just poseurs.
EFA.

Meanwhile the rest of us with gay friends and relatives are happy to see one more step towards the day when their sexual orientation is, day to day, no big deal.

You're part of that reclaim Australia thing, right?
This poster has expressed some sympathies for them. I asked him is he supported many Nazi principles, and he didnt answer.

He lacks the courage to admit he agrees, on many issues, with the racist far right.

There wasn't support in California. But who needs democracy anyway when you have nine unelected judges.
Democracy is not well served when unelected officials determine the law instead of elected representatives.
Pretending the Supreme Court is completely divorced from elective democracy is intellectually dishonest.

As my year 9 politics teacher taught me, the USA is not a democracy, it's a republic.

i really don't see what the fuss is! having grown up in a christian household and understanding that Marriage is something that comes from the bible a unity between a Man and a woman!
if the gay, bent, homo, lesbian, dyke, alternative community want to get married then well good for them!
protest, campaign all you want for equality! but once you get it!
most days most marriages end in divorce! you want the privilege of marriage, then comes responsibility of it:thumbsu:
we dont need to hear about the rest!

i really don't see what the fuss is! having grown up in a christian household and understanding that Marriage is something that comes from the bible a unity between a Man and a woman!
if the gay, bent, homo, lesbian, dyke, alternative community want to get married then well good for them!
protest, campaign all you want for equality! but once you get it!
most days most marriages end in divorce! you want the privilege of marriage, then comes responsibility of it:thumbsu:
we dont need to hear about the rest!

Focus on the crap

EFA.

Meanwhile the rest of us with gay friends and relatives are happy to see one more step towards the day when their sexual orientation is, day to day, no big deal.

Paedophiles will revere you with that attitude

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back