Marriage equality debate - Pt.3 - Australia votes yes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is the Liberal moderates that HAD to pull their finger out, as it was their own party holding up SSM. To try and give them the majority of the credit is ridiculous when it was their own gutless acquiescence to the Abbott/Bernardi faction nutters on the right that held this up as an issue. If Labor/Greens had controlled the HOR/Senate in 2013 it would have already been legislated.

It is the LNP that deserves the vast majority of the blame for all this. To say otherwise is just pure partisan hackery.

What Gillard Rudd shorten and even wong were against ssm. The left has no moral compass and stands for nothing. The ALP history is always glorified in the future, should have, could have all too hard for the ALP.

Thanks to Mal ssm will become reality

Last edited:
Re: Jamila Rizvi - fair enough if she holds that view but without any evidence behind it then I will take the census' figures as gospel, since, you know, it is a poll of the entire Australian population.

In the last Australian census of the entire population, 70,000 people identified their religion as "Jedi".

That may appear insignificant to you but 70,000 willing Jedi's in a small electorate would have a significant impact on a postal vote.

#TrustThePolls

I'm very consistent on that front.

Clearly this poor fellow was obviously too traumatized & triggered by that poster of George....It's almost as if he had an obsession with it & was magnetically drawn to it in such a way, that he had to go out of his way to deface it; So as to stave off it's magnetic affect upon his psyche.

My bet is that George was triggering some naughty & unholy feelings within said perp, to such a degree that he just couldn't cope or was unable avert his eyes whenever he saw it....That's right....Our perp has deeply suppressed homo-erotic feelings & his super-ego - in order to cope with them - couldn't help but bedaub that demon with his religious veil of nay-say.:)

In a similar vein ..

Nope. But if you feel you have to 'win' an argument online by pretending I said that then feel free.

And regarding your claim that you are now hypothsising that every Muslim in Bruce, including children, voted No and would be swapped with only Yes voters, which is an intriguing new twist to your attempts to talk for large groups of Australians from the comfort of your own mind, then I guess your original statement makes more sense (except for the bit where you didn't stipulate that and instead just said it would only require we place Bruce's Muslims in Chisholm). Oh, and for the record, such a scenario where you sat in the tally room and directly swapped 12,000 Yes voters for 12,000 No voters would alter every decision where the result was under 2 thirds. That should save time for future scaremongering.

How are you going with finding the link to your claim that "The evidence prior to survey results demonstrated that Catholics were the biggest backers of same sex marriage"?

And while we're clarifying your attempts to sound knowledgeable, you are still getting Labor policy wrong, despite your claim to know someone who was there. The decision at the national conference still has not made SSM binding policy. A tiny number of hard Catholic Labor MPs are apparently still going to vote against it when it comes up before Christmas. FYI. The binding rule comes after the next election.

In case you missed her entire Prime Ministership, Julia Gillard doesn't rate marriage highly of any regard. She is not married to her partner. She also, allegedly, didn't believe in having a fruit bowl teeming with fruit. It was a major controversy.

Guess you missed the article I posted in response to your post which said about the Catholic support for SSM. Here it is again for you

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...of-samesex-marriage-poll-20170825-gy49ea.html

Catholics and non-Christian religions were more likely to support same-sex marriage, with two thirds of both those groups indicating they were in favour.

Not to mention above this, I also acknowledged that the Labor will still allow a conscience vote during this term of parliament as shown below.

Labor at it's 2015 conference still allowed a conscience vote on the issue during this term of parliament and won't make it party policy which is binding until after the next election. This means in this term of parliament its member could still vote no.

Yet here we have you melting andf attacking others for supposedly getting things wrong and low and behold you cannot practice what you preach :$.

You are another who can't bear to state the fact which is clear as day that Muslims were overwhelmingly anti SSM and the majority religion group responsible for the no vote being recorded in pretty much all seats bar the Hillsong country:$.

What Gillard Rudd shorten and even wong were against ssm. The left has no moral compass and stands for nothing. The ALP history is always glorified in the future, should have, could have all too hard for the ALP.

The Liberals spent roughly $100m to do what Labor did two years ago at their conference, allow a conference vote. This is what I don't understand about your point, yes Malcolm's survey removed the final blockage to SSM, but you cannot deny that the blockage he removed was his own party's official opposition to the notion. Labor has been ready to go for two years on this waiting for the Libs to catch up.

I understand that in Labor's time in office they were unable to get this off the ground but by 2015 they cleared the way for it on their side, not by wasting millions of public funds and opening up a platform for division, but by a simple procedural vote at a party event.

Your claim would be like saying that China would be the hero in putting a stop to North Korea's human right's abuses if it did a u-turn and allowed the UN to act after decades of standing in the way. Yes their decision would lead to action but they would be the last to the party, not the harbingers of change.

Nice rant, it's always amusing to see how far certain people will twist the truth to force it to fit their own version of reality.

In the last Australian census of the entire population, 70,000 people identified their religion as "Jedi".

That may appear insignificant to you but 70,000 willing Jedi's in a small electorate would have a significant impact on a postal vote.

That actually is a negligible impact considering 12 million votes were returned.

You also made the fatal assumption that all 70,000 would:

a) Live in just one or at the most a handful of electorates and hence have the numbers to tilt the vote
b) Vote consistently one way - I don't think the Jedi religion has a view one way or the other on gay marriage
c) All be eligible to vote - non citizens and minors are also included on the census

Last edited:
That actually is a negligible impact considering 12 million votes were returned.

You also made the fatal assumption that all 70,000 would either:

a) Live in just one or at the most a handful of electorates and hence have the numbers to tilt the vote
b) Vote consistently one way - I don't think the Jedi religion has a view one way or the other on gay marriage

Jedi isn't recognised, I was just demonstrating that a lot of people don't take the census seriously, I haven't even looked at how many may have identified as Pastafarian. They're quite prepared to lie on it or throw it in the bin, with great force as I did.

There were a couple of reasons specifically not to trust this last census (& I'm not part of any ethnic / religious minority), even before the deadline it was a debacle.

Census: Australian Bureau of Statistics says website attacked by overseas hackers.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-...statistics-says-census-website-hacked/7712216

Former NSW Deputy Commissioner for Privacy called for it to be scrapped.

Jedi isn't recognised, I was just demonstrating that a lot of people don't take the census seriously, I haven't even looked at how many may have identified as Pastafarian. They're quite prepared to lie on it or throw it in the bin, with great force as I did.

There were a couple of reasons specifically not to trust this last census (& I'm not part of any ethnic / religious minority), even before the deadline it was a debacle.

Census: Australian Bureau of Statistics says website attacked by overseas hackers.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-...statistics-says-census-website-hacked/7712216

Sorry, but I prefer to trust the census data over what you or Timmy is claiming.

If you're one of those that subscribe to what anonymous people post on the internet over the work of the Australian Bureau of Statistics then nothing I say will change your mind on that and I will pay you no attention.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well based on your story of not taking the Census seriously, and my personal experience of taking it seriously, that must mean that at the very least half the Census data is accurate...am I doing it right with the anecdotes?

Sorry, but I prefer to trust the census data over what you or Timmy is claiming.

If you're one of those that subscribe to what anonymous people post on the internet over the work of the Australian Bureau of Statistics then nothing I say will change your mind on that and I will pay you no attention.

Jedi has been increasing in numbers every census but this isnt really a hill I want to die on.

The 2006 census recorded 58,053 Jedi.[5][6] In the 2011 census, the numbers listing their faith as Jedi had picked up from the 2006 census to 65,000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedi_census_phenomenon#Australia

You can all jack of to as many quotes, statistics, numbers and figures you want, you can point fingers and call each over out over opinions, however We are all accountable for the happiness and enrichment of people’s lives here ! When was that ever lost ? It surprises me to this day that this marriage equality debate is still a thing ! As a heterosexual I’m over it tbh just give the people freedom, I don’t see guns in their hands, they ain’t firing missiles, haven’t seen any viral videos of beheadings of heterosexuals with a rainbow flag broadcast in the background so what is actually the problem here ? We have bigger issues at hand in the world that need addressing right now ! We are on the verge of nuclear war with two radical leaders measuring d*** sizes, yet everyone wants to go on a gay witch hunt.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

FFS our own team didn't trust the census enough to put their names on it, imagine a religious/ethnic minority trusting it? If I'd come from Syria, Afghanistan, Lebanon, Palestine, Iran, or even Turkey after seeing the last purge I'd be less inclined to fill it in so I trust Jamila Rizvi that it's higher than 2.6%. And it doesn't really matter either so I'm alright with dropping the whole thing but when you minimise the official figure, there's no need to get all uppitty when I say it's not correct.

Xenophon claims vindication after 'tinfoil hat' comment
Earlier this week, crossbench Senator Nick Xenophon announced he would not put his name on the form due to privacy concerns.

Greens senators Scott Ludlam, Janet Rice, Sarah Hanson-Young, Lee Rhiannon and Larissa Waters also said they would not be providing their names.

Senator Xenophon had been accused of "tinfoil hat" politics by Coalition frontbencher Christopher Pyne over his concerns.

He told the ABC this morning that he was not sure "who should be wearing that hat today".

The Liberals spent roughly $100m to do what Labor did two years ago at their conference, allow a conference vote. This is what I don't understand about your point, yes Malcolm's survey removed the final blockage to SSM, but you cannot deny that the blockage he removed was his own party's official opposition to the notion. Labor has been ready to go for two years on this waiting for the Libs to catch up.

I understand that in Labor's time in office they were unable to get this off the ground but by 2015 they cleared the way for it on their side, not by wasting millions of public funds and opening up a platform for division, but by a simple procedural vote at a party event.

Your claim would be like saying that China would be the hero in putting a stop to North Korea's human right's abuses if it did a u-turn and allowed the UN to act after decades of standing in the way. Yes their decision would lead to action but they would be the last to the party, not the harbingers of change.
It’s a lot easier to have social change policies in opposition than in government. The ALP had there chance. They blew it.

It’s a lot easier to have social change policies in opposition than in government. The ALP had there chance. They blew it.
They did, although I would argue public opinion was more evenly split four years ago when the ALP were last in government, it's a credit to the marriage equality lobby to get the community to where it is now in recent years particularly among lay-Catholics where two thirds are in favour of marriage equality. Importantly, the ALP evolved without the need to waste money on a survey. The Libs after throwing all this money away have only just caught up to the rest of parliament. Now the ALP can finally implement their policy of a conscience vote as their members were elected to do.

The census data tells us that there is a significant Muslim populace in the vast majority of electorates which returned no votes and evidence also showed that Muslims were highly likely to vote no. Yet you still have a resistance to state the obvious and cannot come to terms with the fact that Muslims are highly anti SSM and voted against it.

Not to mention all you have done is just dismissed the comments made by posters like shellyg without actually posting any significant evidence to refute them or posting substantative reasons as to why you disagree with them.

Who f***ing cares if I like a few of RoT's posts? Have I commented on you liking a certain poster's posts, much less denigrated you for doing so?

Christ almighty and Lord Jesus the saviour.

Re: Jamila Rizvi - fair enough if she holds that view but without any evidence behind it then I will take the census' figures as gospel, since, you know, it is a poll of the entire Australian population.
The above statement is ironic. You say you will take the census figures as gospel and won't look at things without any evidence behind them, yet you completely ignore and dismiss the evidence which shows the fact that Muslim electorates were overwhelmingly anti ssm and cannot bear to bring yourself to say they were the reason the no vote won in virtually all electorates which it did.

FFS our own team didn't trust the census enough to put their names on it, imagine a religious/ethnic minority trusting it? If I'd come from Syria, Afghanistan, Lebanon, Palestine, Iran, or even Turkey after seeing the last purge I'd be less inclined to fill it in so I trust Jamila Rizvi that it's higher than 2.6%. And it doesn't really matter either so I'm alright with dropping the whole thing but when you minimise the official figure, there's no need to get all uppitty when I say it's not correct.

Xenophon claims vindication after 'tinfoil hat' comment
Earlier this week, crossbench Senator Nick Xenophon announced he would not put his name on the form due to privacy concerns.

Greens senators Scott Ludlam, Janet Rice, Sarah Hanson-Young, Lee Rhiannon and Larissa Waters also said they would not be providing their names.

Senator Xenophon had been accused of "tinfoil hat" politics by Coalition frontbencher Christopher Pyne over his concerns.

He told the ABC this morning that he was not sure "who should be wearing that hat today".
Please the particular poster you are referring to is way to naive and closed minded to actually open his eyes and realise that the results of an official activity like the census may not be accurate or many not depict the true state of something. This is unfortunately the state of many teachers today who are either too scared or too ignorant to believe that the world may be different to how they think.

I haven't failed at all, so don't bother trying to pump your chest up on that with self congratulations.

ps. where's the block button?
Click on the poster's username; then click
Ignore on the right. Invaluable sanity-saver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back