Marriage equality debate - The plebiscite is on its way. (Cont in Pt 3)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They will but the No side will know that they lost and the Yes side will know that as well.

Wrong. The no vote are already talking about how the yes vote will get more funding and how it will be unfair etc etc.

They are already laying the platform to reject the result (just as people like yourself do at every opportunity with other polls that are 10x more reliable than this stupid brainfart of an idea).

What left wing climate? We have had a conservative government for 14 of the past 20 years, the US and UK have conservative governments. Stop jumping at shadows.

Nah but, like, the media is all left-wing tho! Guys like Alan Jones and Andrew Bolt don't get a voice in this country! And nobody gives a platform to people like Tony Abbott or Pauline Hanson - you never hear their views covered in the news!

Voting in numbers and getting the YES vote up is important, I feel. When the conservatives subsequently sweep the results under the rug and walk away whistling we'll know ONE FINAL TIME what duplicitous s**t-bags they really are.

Yeah, while I can understand people not wanting to participate out of protest, the fact is it's happening - the money is being spent and the bilious debate will take place regardless of individual protests, so why not take the chance where you can to stick it to Abbott and his vile, cretinous mates and try to achieve some positive change in the country? And, as you say, if the YES vote gets up and the government ignores it, we'll have a clear point where they've ignored the will of the people and that will come into play during the next election. I truly believe the majority of people are for SSM, the only way this vote goes south is through non-participation. People need to seriously weigh up the pros and cons of protesting and the pro-SSM side need to make sure the youth are engaged and fully aware of how to get their vote in.

It's non-binding, isn't it? So what's to stop a recalcitrant (in this case) Liberal Party from simply ignoring the results? Have they actually guaranteed they'll abide by the results and alter the Marriage Act if the YES vote gets up?

There is no way that the LNP will enact SSM if the plebiscite is a resounding yes, this is just an excuse to look like they are doing something knowing they have no intention of legislating it. Those opponents of SSM know this and that's why they are arguing for the plebiscite, it's a waste of taxpayers monies and they are just trying to delay the inevitable. Also, in my opinion, the ACL can simply * off, their views are not essential to what happens in Australia.

Only the ALP are the party that can deliver SSM and if it doesn't happen between now and the next election, PM Shorten will have it delivered in his first term.

Yeah as I mentioned above, I agree 100%. But that explains why you don't want a plebiscite/postal vote, not what you are hoping to achieve by boycotting a vote if it goes ahead anyway.
It will be the final nail in the coffin for Turnbull if the result comes back 'no'.

"The people have spoken, I will not be taking SSM to the next election" or " I will be taking SSM to the next election, despite the no vote ." lose, lose

The only way for Turnbull to get out of this is if the result is 'yes'.

It's non-binding, isn't it? So what's to stop a recalcitrant (in this case) Liberal Party from simply ignoring the results? Have they actually guaranteed they'll abide by the results and alter the Marriage Act if the YES vote gets up?

Turnbull has promised a free vote in parliament if the plebiscite votes 'yes'. You would expect MPs who are against SSM to abstain. Just like with election promises there are no guarantees but this is very specific.

But for that to happen you would expect some prior commitment from the other side. That if there is a 'no' result then MPs who support SSM would respect the outcome.

My apologies it was a different individual.

You just think the relationships are less than hetros.

Much better. Nothing personal in that

They're not equal. I've yet to see a satisfactory counter argument.

Married Heterosexual - Child biologically related to both parents.

SS Couple - Child biologically related to only 1 parent.

Tell me again how these are the same?

When the technology exists so SS Couples can have shared biological children I will rate them equal to heterosexual couples.

It will be the final nail in the coffin for Turnbull if the result comes back 'no'.

"The people have spoken, I will not be taking SSM to the next election" or " I will be taking SSM to the next election, despite the no vote ." lose, lose

The only way for Turnbull to get out of this is if the result is 'yes'.

... and it will consign the LNP to a decade in opposition, while the other mob just quietly go about doing all these things, in their faces, while they can only sit and watch in bitter, insolent, impotent and irrelevant rage.

The rest of the LNP know this and must grow some balls sooner or later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the most part speaking of the gay community as being a whole is about as useful as referring to the straight community as a homogeneous collective. But on the issue almost everyone stands as one, no plebiscite, postal or otherwise, this gets settled in Parliament. But because of a few religous conservatives, and the bum sex is disgusting brigade insisting they know better we're having this anyway. That's why it has no legitimacy.

So with this thing being run outside the AEC and run by the ABS instead, do the usual rules of politeness still apply to the advertising? Does it have to be "authorised by.. and spoken by.. " at the end of each ad? Can I make an ad mocking Tony Abbott and call him a knuckle-walking bronze age drunkard without fear of retribution?

So with this thing being run outside the AEC and run by the ABS instead, do the usual rules of politeness still apply to the advertising? Does it have to be "authorised by.. and spoken by.. " at the end of each ad? Can I make an add mocking Tony Abbott and call him a knuckle-walking bronze age drunkard without fear of retribution?
If you're looking for contributions...

This sounds coersive.

It's coercive to make people aware of how they can vote and have their say? Okay then.

Are you here for any discussion? Genuine question. As it stands you've stated your very vague opinion and given no actual reason or thoughtful insights into the topic. I'd genuinely like to hear your reasons for coming to the decision you have re: SSM but I fear you have no interest in divulging them so I'd then ask: why are you here? If you have no actual thoughts to add to the discussion, maybe consider leaving the discussion to the adults capable of having an actual discourse?

It's coercive to make people aware of how they can vote and have their say? Okay then.

Are you here for any discussion? Genuine question. As it stands you've stated your very vague opinion and given no actual reason or thoughtful insights into the topic. I'd genuinely like to hear your reasons for coming to the decision you have re: SSM but I fear you have no interest in divulging them so I'd then ask: why are you here? If you have no actual thoughts to add to the discussion, maybe consider leaving the discussion to the adults capable of having an actual discourse?

You mean go to the safe thread. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back