Marriage equality debate - The plebiscite is on its way. (Cont in Pt 3)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without reading through the 271 previous pages - has this been answered adequately?

How does allowing homosexual couples to marry affect a heterosexual marriage in the slightest? Why do, and why SHOULD, heterosexual people have any opinion or say in what homosexuals do with their time in this regard?

Simply put, If Bob and Frank down the road want to get married, how does that affect Sally and John's marriage at all?

The problem is there are only two truthful arguments opposing gay marriage;
1) Religious belief
If there is someone out there who subscribes to this opinion, that "its against my religion, and so therefore it should not be permitted", I would like an explanation as to WHY their religious beliefs should be imposed on others who do not share said belief?

Because voting no isnt the same as homophobic, homophobic is not wanting to be anywhere near SS oriented people, while voting no only means not caring about equality of marriage rights.
I would have thought abstaining or not completing the form means you don't care.
Voting 'no' doesn't imply that.

If there is someone out there who subscribes to this opinion, that "its against my religion, and so therefore it should not be permitted", I would like an explanation as to WHY their religious beliefs should be imposed on others who do not share said belief?

That's the reason they are not "allowed" to fess up, because of secularism. That's why a certain Mr Rabbit wants to make the postal plebishite about freedom of speech, freedom of religion, against political correctness gone mad etc

I would have thought abstaining or not completing the form means you don't care.
Voting 'no' doesn't imply that.
Yes to an extent although there seems to also be an active boycott movement which I think is a bad idea for those who want SSM

In nature, a parasitic wasp will paralyse the larvae of another species and then inject its own young. After the young hatch they feed on the still alive body of the host caterpillar.

In nature, the adactylidium mite will have inside her several daughters and one son, within the mother the son will mate with all his sisters, the daughters then eat their way out of the mother.

I'm not sure that nature should dictate what is right or wrong for humans to do.

Also, if we have to look to nature (non-human), marriage isn't natural, talking on a football forum isn't natural...
And caterpillars become moths...

Interested so see just how many of the " IT'S SHORTENS FAULT " crowd are willing to admit they voted for the coward Abbott..................................

I'm here all day.......
Good luck with that Slim. Although I'm expecting a forthcoming ALP government to be good for this board. All those who've disappeared over the last five years will re-emerge to to tell us this is the worst government in history, and how the Liberal Party would do it all so much better.

No. He is arguing that it's biologically impossible for 2 males or 2 females to have children. That is why he believes they shouldn't be allowed to get married.
And others have countered that this argument would also mean post menopausal or other infertile people should not be allowed to marry. Therefore a nonsense reason.

Interested so see just how many of the " IT'S SHORTENS FAULT " crowd are willing to admit they voted for the coward Abbott..................................

I'm here all day.......

Loki.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good luck with that Slim. Although I'm expecting a forthcoming ALP government to be good for this board. All those who've disappeared over the last five years will re-emerge to to tell us this is the worst government in history, and how the Liberal Party would do it all so much better.
I can't wait to see people try and advocate that argument after the utter tripe dished up to the Australian public by Abbott and Turnbull. :)

Good article re ABS conducting the poll and why it is being challenged in the High Court.

Under the Census and Statistics Act, the Australian Statistician can, if directed by the minister, collect “statistical information” on a range of prescribed matters, including “births, deaths, marriages and divorces”, “law”, and “population and the social, economic and demographic characteristics of the population”.

Separately, the Australian Bureau of Statistics Act provides that one of the functions of the ABS is “to collect, compile, analyse and disseminate statistics and related information”.

The key question is whether information about Australians’ opinions on same-sex marriage is “statistical information”.

Surveying people on their views about marriage is very different from collecting factual data about, say, the numbers of marriages taking place in Australia.

And given the postal ballot will be voluntary, the views of some social groups (like those more likely to use postal services) will feature more heavily than others. Arguably, such an “unweighted” data set falls short of the rigorous standards of “statistical information”.

The second legal question concerns the government’s authority to spend money on an ABS-run postal vote. Finance Minister Mathias Cormann acted quickly to source the A$122 million required from a little-used “advance” appropriated by parliament in this year’s budget.

However, the minister’s advance fund is reserved for “urgent” and “unforeseen” expenditure. It is doubtful that spending on a postal plebiscite falls into either of these categories.

Assuming that the ABS gains access to the roll, it is unclear whether it will be able to send ballot papers to all registered voters. The position of silent electors is particularly uncertain.

The addresses of silent electors are not displayed on the roll: to do so would put their safety, or the safety of their family, at risk. Also, the AEC is not permitted to provide information about silent electors to agencies such as the ABS. As a result, silent electors may wonder if they will be able to participate in the poll.

The addresses of eligible overseas voters also do not appear on the roll. However, Cormann has said they will receive ballot papers provided they have “registered as an overseas voter and provided their overseas address”.

More generally, the ABS lacks the AEC’s institutional capacity when it comes to conducting nationwide votes. These are highly complex exercises, which involve distributing, collecting and transporting ballot papers, and then counting them quickly and securely.

How's the richness from the NO crowd though

2 bites of the cherry here

Acting " all high and mighty " in a matter of Equality

Australians biggest beef with " churchies " has always been the perception that they think they're somehow " better " than the rest of us.

Australia has been given a first-hand dose of that since Wednesday.

Take it to another thread, the rest of us who have more than one brain cell left functioning are trying to have a discussion on marriage.

If you are so against "unnatural" things why arent you out the front of airports protesting those big scary shiny metal birds in the sky?

What? This nonsense was brought into the discussion by a 'yes' (in the form of an article) voter trying to say homosexuality is good in nature. I've just claimed it would cause extinction as there are no artificial insenubation centres for any other species than us

This really is that " War " the COWARD Abbott has masturbated over his entire adult life.
I agree with this sentiment but I will give full credit to Abbott. He is a conviction politician. Right or wrong ( I say wrong) he has stuck with his principles and been prepared to get flamed rather than be a Malcolm Twisty Turnbull.

I dont like what Abbott stands for but I respect his strength of vision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back