Preview Marsh Community Series - Melbourne v Adelaide, 22 Feb 4.40pm AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree, but at some stage you have to give him a chance over a vet. We spent a second rounder on him. Whether we like it or not that will buy him some opportunities if he puts in the work on the track and doesn't fu** up off field.
Yah maybe, still gotta bring Brayshaw into the side as well. Unless he's a special talent I can't see him breaking into the side anytime soon

Yah maybe, still gotta bring Brayshaw into the side as well. Unless he's a special talent I can't see him breaking into the side anytime soon
I thought he showed a bit, but not enough to say that he'll get a game unless there are some injuries. A near full season in the VFL will be good for him.

You could tell Trac has done some work on his set shot routine. Shorter run up & lower ball drop. From memory I think Stafford has been working on players set shots.
Also regarding Trac. Was someone saying that he had already signed months ago & the club was just waiting for a better time to announce the news? I hope so because if he plays like yesterday more consistently he'll end up being the highest paid player on our list.

One player doesn't make or break a team, but Petracca could make a huge difference if this is his breakout season. I don't mind that he is playing as yet another inside mid because he has flexibility.

If he gets dominant in the midfield, he may get a hard tag, which means the opposition's best defensive midfielder isn't on Oliver. We can leave it like that, OR just push Trac forward and have him create havoc there. Other inside players like VIney, Brayshaw don't have that ability.

I'd like to see Oliver spend more time forward, he's shown before that he can take a mark and out-muscle defenders.

38 and 3; too fat, delist.

Fatracca wasn't getting near it this time last year. Remember the game at Geelong early last year? embarrassing. Hard to believe it's the same player. His thighs were chaffing too much to run him through the midfield.

Oliver kicked 4 goals last year. Pretty rubbish.
Desperately needs to develop that part of his game

I don't hold much hope he will, seems purely a mid to me. He's got a bit of height for a mid but that's it. Lacks everything else to be any sort of forward weapon.

I don't hold much hope he will, seems purely a mid to me. He's got a bit of height for a mid but that's it. Lacks everything else to be any sort of forward weapon.
Handballing it through the goals doesn't count unfortunately

Of the new guys, I’d say Langdon and Tomlinson did about as well as expected. Neither are superstars but both will slot in seamlessly as role players. Langdon has an obviously crap ball drop but I don’t remember any really bad kicks yesterday either.

I must have missed something with Kosi, apart from a 2 minute patch before half time I thought he had next to no impact on the game. Not saying that to criticise, just didn’t see what other posters must have seen from him. Likewise Jackson, hard to have much of an impact with 59% game time and Gerard Healy attacking him was all kinds of cringe, but as far as debuts go that was pretty quiet. Early days.

Mitch Brown is the new Pederson, will be good for us in that role for 2-3 years.

played forward originally

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Could be wrong but didn’t he have a good game round 23 in 2015 on the HBF when we rolled the giants at ethiahd. Can’t remember if that was a one off and then he went forward in 2016.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The other thing I hate about Oscar is that he has no second plan of attack.

Plays from behind but isn't quick enough to close down a lead, hopes someone else will give him a chop out or there is a skill error by the opposition.

That game we lost down at KP when Hawkins dragged him around like he was 10 foot line and jetskis a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

Its better to get beaten over the back and closer to goal 2 or 3 times a game than give a player leads 40-50 from goal 6 to 10 times a game like he does.

You just described how all modern day defenders defend. They rely on time defence or midfield pressure.

That night against the cats the mids were just a culpable as Omac. Hawkins did have a night out, chances or scoring are less from 40-60m set shot than waltzing into an open goal. The most dangerous space these days is the space out the back.

You just described how all modern day defenders defend. They rely on time defence or midfield pressure.

That night against the cats the mids were just a culpable as Omac. Hawkins did have a night out, chances or scoring are less from 40-60m set shot than waltzing into an open goal. The most dangerous space these days is the space out the back.

Yea you're right, he's as good as any full back in the AFL.

Of the new guys, I’d say Langdon and Tomlinson did about as well as expected. Neither are superstars but both will slot in seamlessly as role players. Langdon has an obviously crap ball drop but I don’t remember any really bad kicks yesterday either.

I must have missed something with Kosi, apart from a 2 minute patch before half time I thought he had next to no impact on the game. Not saying that to criticise, just didn’t see what other posters must have seen from him. Likewise Jackson, hard to have much of an impact with 59% game time and Gerard Healy attacking him was all kinds of cringe, but as far as debuts go that was pretty quiet. Early days.

Mitch Brown is the new Pederson, will be good for us in that role for 2-3 years.

Kosi, pressure inside 50 was epic. Looked dangerous as well, was close to having another couple of goals.

Yea you're right, he's as good as any full back in the AFL.

That wasn’t my point but I’ve should of added I don’t think he is up to it, his lack of intensity and awareness is bloody frustrating. My point was the dangerous space for a defender is out the back, giving up the space in front and allowing a lever/hore to float across is modern footy.

How much, if at all, has this game changed your outlook on our prospects for the season? I realize it’s just a preseason game, but I feel like they answered a few questions yesterday.

How much, if at all, has this game changed your outlook on our prospects for the season? I realize it’s just a preseason game, but I feel like they answered a few questions yesterday.
The only real thing I took out of it was that we were running harder in the last than the first.

Not a lot for me. We look a lot fitter than last season , but the opposition looked to have run out of gas by 3/4 time. Good for the marketing team cause a win is better than a loss i guess . Trac looks fit enough to finally get into the midfield more , a few others looked okay , but i think we will have a better idea after 8-9 rounds into the main season. No hiding we have a tough start to the season(first 2 games mainly) so any confidence the group can take into R1 is a positive .

Not a lot for me. We look a lot fitter than last season , but the opposition looked to have run out of gas by 3/4 time. Good for the marketing team cause a win is better than a loss i guess . Trac looks fit enough to finally get into the midfield more , a few others looked okay , but i think we will have a better idea after 8-9 rounds into the main season. No hiding we have a tough start to the season(first 2 games mainly) so any confidence the group can take into R1 is a positive .
Adelaide had a lot of young players, which is why they gassed in the last qrt, but still a really good sign for us, given that they used 26 players, and we only used 23, and lost Jones for the better part of the second half.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back