Matthew Nicholls completely incompetent as an umpire?

Remove this Banner Ad

Now this might just be me (i doubt it) but everytime I see this bald headed dud 'umpire' he has a shocker. Seems to consistently be inconsistent and his decision making is abysmal. Countless times throughout games he messes up the simplest of decisions. It infuriates me everytime I see him run out on the ground knowing that the game will be poorly officiated! This bloke must be removed from his AFL umpiring duties ASAP in my opinion! Surely I'm not the only one to think this? :mad:
Seriously you are a troll.
You should be forced to umpire local footy.
I would love to see you out there umpiring a game of footy. You will find that it's a very difficult game to umpire. To make matters worse flogs like you don't even understand the rules. You probably go to your kids game of footy and abuse the umpires.
People like you need to be turfed out.

I would love to see you out there umpiring a game of footy. You will find that it's a very difficult game to umpire. To make matters worse flogs like you don't even understand the rules. You probably go to your kids game of footy and abuse the umpires.
You need to relax !

We are quite within our rights as supporters to questions some of the decisions made by umpires during and after games. Whether they are clamping down on particular rules for the week (deliberate out of bounds is the one that infuriates me the most) or it's just a bad decision they need to be held accountable.

Having said that though, I have umpired local footy and appreciate how difficult a job it is. I can accept that umpires make mistakes just like players do, but when the ball is kicked into open space, bounces and takes an awkward turn is ruled delberate OOB this does my head in. The umpire has enough time to go through it in his mind to make the right decision.

We are quite within our rights as supporters to questions some of the decisions made by umpires during and after games. Whether they are clamping down on particular rules for the week (deliberate out of bounds is the one that infuriates me the most) or it's just a bad decision they need to be held accountable.

Having said that though, I have umpired local footy and appreciate how difficult a job it is. I can accept that umpires make mistakes just like players do, but when the ball is kicked into open space, bounces and takes an awkward turn is ruled delberate OOB this does my head in. The umpire has enough time to go through it in his mind to make the right decision.
You should know better. There is a rule there that you don't eat your own people. That includes umpires. Sure you can hate umpires for their style but bagging them out on an online forum is not on.
It's in all umpires codes of conduct.
Get your hands on one and read it.

The scariest thing about it all is that despite being clearly one of the worst, intrusive and egotistical umpires going around he appears to be one of the more respected and valued maggots by the AFL as evidenced by his GF selection.

It's depressing how we seem to get him for most of ours games too, has despised Freo since Sirengate.

It's depressing how we seem to get him for most of ours games too, has despised Freo since Sirengate.

He umpired two of your games in 2013. But hey, don't let facts get in the way of a good story...

Should have said big games, none bigger than the granny.

Please. You had a plethora of big games this season. Don't try to back-peddle. I'll help you out though, of the two games he umpired you guys this season, guess who your opponent was? Yep, Hawthorn. Does that give you initial post any credibility? Absolutely not. But hey, this is Bigfooty, so of course Nicholls' blatant bias cost you both games ;)

You should know better. There is a rule there that you don't eat your own people. That includes umpires. Sure you can hate umpires for their style but bagging them out on an online forum is not on.

Rubbish. Professional umpires are open slather when it comes to football discussion. No different to slagging off the electrician when he does a s**t job, or the restaurant after you've been served a plate of inedible garbage. You don't have to be an electrician or chef yourself to make that call.

If you're in the elite echelon of your profession getting paid big dollars, you're expected to perform to that level. Especially if you're being televised to millions of people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rubbish. Professional umpires are open slather when it comes to football discussion. No different to slagging off the electrician when he does a s**t job, or the restaurant after you've been served a plate of inedible garbage. You don't have to be an electrician or chef yourself to make that call.

If you're in the elite echelon of your profession getting paid big dollars, you're expected to perform to that level. Especially if you're being televised to millions of people.

The umpires aren't getting paid big dollars...

Please. You had a plethora of big games this season. Don't try to back-peddle. I'll help you out though, of the two games he umpired you guys this season, guess who your opponent was? Yep, Hawthorn. Does that give you initial post any credibility? Absolutely not. But hey, this is Bigfooty, so of course Nicholls' blatant bias cost you both games ;)

Is that actually true?

Kinda explains the umpiring on both occasions though. Freo got shafted when playing Hawthorn this season and as Nicholls is the common denominator, well, that says something.

Is that actually true?

Kinda explains the umpiring on both occasions though. Freo got shafted when playing Hawthorn this season and as Nicholls is the common denominator, well, that says something.

There was actually another game against Geelong in there, but it didn't suit my petulant tone. Although, you did lose that one too, so hey, 0/3 and you Freo fans might be onto something... Although given that you received more free kicks than your opponent in those three games, it kind of makes your 'shafted' argument a little tenuous. But keep up the good fight :thumbsu:

There was actually another game against Geelong in there, but it didn't suit my petulant tone. Although, you did lose that one too, so hey, 0/3 and you Freo fans might be onto something... Although given that you received more free kicks than your opponent in those three games, it kind of makes your 'shafted' argument a little tenuous. But keep up the good fight :thumbsu:

Round 4 - Received more free kicks however that reflects the fact that the umpires gave us some sympathy free kicks late in the game. It was when we were making our charge in the 3rd that we got shafted and hard done by....still had great pleasure in abusing them post match :D

Round 14 - One more free kick (maybe shafting there a little tenuous) but it is Geelong in Geelong so we expect injustice there.

Grand Final - Widely acknowledged that Freo were shafted. Hawks had 6 free kicks inside 50 to Freo's 0 and some of the umpiring was horrendous.

Round 4 - Received more free kicks however that reflects the fact that the umpires gave us some sympathy free kicks late in the game

Round 14 - One more free kick (maybe shafting there a little tenuous)

Grand Final - Widely acknowledged that Freo were shafted. Hawks had 6 free kicks inside 50 to Freo's 0 and some of the umpiring was horrendous.

Plugger35 can you stop making aliases please

Rubbish. Professional umpires are open slather when it comes to football discussion.

Umpires are not professionals...

Nicholls is so bad you'd find supporters of all clubs using him as an excuse as to why they lost games. I bet he's even the one the West Coast fans were booing.

Freo supporters are making absolute fools of themselves with the sooking. It was the umpires, only our poor kicking blah blah blah. In 2013 you over achieved. You believed your own publicity.

You lost.
Get over it.

Round 4. 21 frees to 17 in freo's favour in a game you were smashed all over the ground.

Freo supporters are making absolute fools of themselves with the sooking. It was the umpires, only our poor kicking blah blah blah. In 2013 you over achieved. You believed your own publicity.

You lost.
Get over it.

Round 4. 21 frees to 17 in freo's favour in a game you were smashed all over the ground.

Obviously you've not heard of "sympathy" free kicks. Freo got quite a few when the game was over.

Before that, we got shafted when the game was in the balance.

Typical Hawks supporter, whinges about the umpires when it suits them but then calls people out when they do it. One word comes to mind there - hypocrite!

Fremantle Dockers Moral Premiers 2013?
How do you get that.
If moral is something like taking the right path then they are closer to the spoon than premiers.
They make a great game ugly and boring in the quest for a win.
This is more Machiavellian than moral.

I think many people wanted the Cinderella story but on the GF they were not the best team.

Hypocrite - harsh word to throw around. (Not you shinboner)
I would recommend no one sooks about umpires, if you, do expect to get slammed. Whoever you barrack for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back