Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think they thought it was at the expense of - I believe they thought we had our offensive game so strong, it'd take care of itself.
The problem down back is that smith, hinge, butts have dropped off. With Murray out and Doedee leaving they should have brought in an experienced key back which powaa did successfully btw the last few trade periods (so it can be done). We were arrogant and thought that our hole in our list would just disappear. Losing Thilthorpe has hurt us along with Walker not getting off to a,good start. The club failed during the trade period and we got weaker as a club. Nicks defensive strategy is naive and of course a decrease in speed of ball movement and higging the boundary line will affect scoring. We are playing into the opposition's hands.

This comment about his reluctance to try anyone new this year so far from his presser today is very concerning and should be setting off alarm bells for anyone with a brain at AFC:

Values we need to live? Like playing an injured and out of form senior player in Brodie Smith, who then admits he probably shouldn't have played?

And this is a player who is in our leadership team.

* me, what sort of message does this send.

Does anyone in our club understand the concept of leadership?

I just want to elaborate on this because even in the solitary win, the opposition scored less than 100.

And it’s clear that was the club’s template for success this year. Focus on the defensive aspects, at the expense of actually kicking a winning score.

It has backfired badly, because when both teams remain under 100, the Crows are the team that loses.

Nicks game plan is to swamp the defence and counter attack in a swarm. The problem that has been exposed by every team is

1. Class - class will always kill you
2. Geelong, Carlton, Essendon all swarmed the forward 50 which meant we were under attack and couldn't escape because they blocked all our short kicking options.

Because we swamped our back 50 obviously its impacted the accuracy of our opposition. But you still have to limit the scoring shots. Some sides won't miss and we will. We have been highly accurate. That is almost certain to not always be the case. The score lines against all our opposition flatter us.

He's blind to everything else, role is all that counts. Even the B&F vote scale is based pure,y upon the degree thst you played your role. I get the feeling he regularly received positive feedback for playing his role.
Playing your role in a system that doesnt work. "Playing your role" is code for average s**t performance.

“So for those calling for players to play I hope they are watching the SANFL and not just reacting to what’s happening in the AFL”

This is sheer stupidity - Nicks, how about YOU DO REACT TO WHATS HAPPENING IN THE AFL?!

We are 1-5 for *s sake, and we're not making any meaningful changes!

He is so badly out of his depth - if he's smart enough to identify the problems, I don't think he's smart enough to fix them.

The Dowling thing was bullshit as well, he's a moron.

Not sure whether to laugh or cry at this. Such a perfect summation of that whole discussion.

It was surreal to listen to. "Yeah he's still sore. Yeah he will attempt to train. Yeah it affected his game 5 days ago. Yeah maybe we shouldn't have played him. Yeah hopefully we can still pick him this week though."
You Are Dumb Patrick Star GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

This is sheer stupidity - Nicks, how about YOU DO REACT TO WHATS HAPPENING IN THE AFL?!

We are 1-5 for *s sake, and we're not making any meaningful changes!

He is so badly out of his depth - if he's smart enough to identify the problems, I don't think he's smart enough to fix them.

The Dowling thing was bullshit as well, he's a moron.

Its always everyone else.

Best midfielder in the Sanfl and we refuse to acknowledge it just state he is playing well but he knows he has stuff to work on. Ok? i'll pay that, like what? spell it out to me?

I wonder if Dowling has been given any feedback at all let alone anything to work on.

Curtin was a stupid responce. Playing well on the biggest forwards. Clearly wants him to play deep defence like he did with McAsey.

Complete nonsense by nicks. No wonder we went backwards over preseason. Arrogantly incompetent.
There is a major problem when we lost our only attacking minded coach this year.

It's clearly showing with our game plan that we have an unbalanced defensive coaching group who are poor at strategy.

There is a major problem when we lost our only attacking minded coach this year.

It's clearly showing with our game plan that we have an unbalanced defensive coaching group who are poor at strategy.

Nah, see thats the type of excuses that give Nicks a pass, I know you aren't but its what the club will try and sell and the happy clappers are already on it. Oh its someone elses fault. Sack the current forward line coach.

We’ll lose this.

Nicks sacked.

Caretaker wins the showdown.

If we lose this he won’t be sacked right away, but it will be his card marked

The board and football administration will be horrified. I think they already are, they will be feeling like he has let them down. They supported him with an extension and he has not repaid them

The players will know that it’s the thin end of the wedge too

He won’t survive beyond this season, but a loss this week will imperil his chances to see the year out

His responses to media are a man on fire, in a burning building who no longer believes he has things under control

And no one else does either

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, see thats the type of excuses that give Nicks a pass, I know you aren't but its what the club will try and sell and the happy clappers are already on it. Oh its someone elses fault. Sack the current forward line coach.
Nah, sack the lot.

And if you believe that…

Going cheap, only one owner

Water Mar GIF by Greenplace TV
He's on record with his manager that he took a cut to move to the Cats.

But we know you like to ignore facts when you are found out... again!

Sounds like we will play him regardless unless we need to wheel him out.

Smith was a favourite for a long time - I thought he was lucky to get through last year, but I didn't begrudge him for going another year and was still a fan.

I dislike him strongly now, not for his poor form, that doesn't reflect on him personally - but selfishness became a feature of his play, and now this.

It's completely unacceptable - if this is our culture, no wonder we're s**t.

Selfishness and lack of accountability are the key traits of the AFC.

I wish I was on the board and bought a few of you along with me. We could solve all the problems, Sanders, Kane, Slippery, Moogle, Relapse and myself.

I’ve always thought why wouldn’t they allow a member into the coaches box every game, so the member could say “fellas, can you see what I’m seeing?”
George is getting upset

Back