Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

By God ....no-one would want that FIGJAM Bucks coaching them ......that guy was so rigid in his thinking

I know it's popular to dump on every Coach ....it's a common theme across most of the Club Boards ......Nicks, who I admire as an upcoming coach, is still getting better competitive outcomes, than the more celebrated Coaches in Ross Lyon, and Clarko

People talk about the BRIS outs .....but their outs were fringe players .....ours in Thilthorpe, Milera, and Murray, were core players

Bad, Bad start to the season ....and yes that's on the Coach ....but also, to ressurect the season as he has, deserves better appreciation than he's received by supporters here .....thankfully the footy World has a much deeper appreciation of Nicks

Buckley has mostly shaken loose the FIGJAM moniker, been ages since I've heard it. That name just takes me back to Footy Park days when Buckley was playing.

I could easily see you not being alone, Buckley not being accepted by large parts of the supporter base.

There legit would be people out would just remember him as FIGJAM the player.

Paraphrasing: In hindsight, it was a mistake. But we will gladly keep making that mistake.

He truly thinks they've reinvented the wheel by calling it an "impact sub". Like we've discovered something the other 17 clubs haven't been smart enough to think of.

"Nank came on and had an impact". His output playing exactly half a game was almost exactly half of his usual output this year (averaged 16.6 touches before this week, got 8 yesterday). That's not an "impact". That's just half a game.

Before the game I posted and tried to make sense of it. I speculated that the club thought Nankervis would make a great sub player.

It's like they named their best 23 and then decided who would be the best sub player, instead of naming a 22 and finding a sub from the rest of the squad.

Something I rarely do, listened to yesterday's after game press conference.
Nicks says I don't know a fair bit.
It's been 5 years matey, time you should have learned something.

By God ....no-one would want that FIGJAM Bucks coaching them ......that guy was so rigid in his thinking

I know it's popular to dump on every Coach ....it's a common theme across most of the Club Boards ......Nicks, who I admire as an upcoming coach, is still getting better competitive outcomes, than the more celebrated Coaches in Ross Lyon, and Clarko

People talk about the BRIS outs .....but their outs were fringe players .....ours in Thilthorpe, Milera, and Murray, were core players

Bad, Bad start to the season ....and yes that's on the Coach ....but also, to ressurect the season as he has, deserves better appreciation than he's received by supporters here .....thankfully the footy World has a much deeper appreciation of Nicks

I wouldn't call Bailey, Coleman, Gardiner and McCarthy fringe players.

This narrative that Nicks is an "inexperienced developing" coach who still needs more time makes absolutely no sense to me.

It completely contradicts how every other coach has been assessed in the past.

Aside from Dew and Alan Richardson, can anyone tell me another modern era coach who's been given as much leniency and time as Nicks has been given?

The fact that Nicks is into his 5th season is an anomaly rather than the norm. If Nicks stays until the end of end 2025 and doesn't make the finals he'll overtake both Dew and Richardson and become the longest tenured coach in the modern era to have not made the finals. It's hardly the stuff of a rookie coach that is just starting to find his feet.

Let's not kid ourselves, if he was at most other clubs he would have been lucky to have been given 3 seasons.

Something I rarely do, listened to yesterday's after game press conference.
Nicks says I don't know a fair bit.
It's been 5 years matey, time you should have learned something.
Did our game style and kicking it to contests and Brisbane defenders out making up? Any mention of changing it up?

Also how did he justify making Nank sub?

Buckley has mostly shaken loose the FIGJAM moniker, been ages since I've heard it. That name just takes me back to Footy Park days when Buckley was playing.

I could easily see you not being alone, Buckley not being accepted by large parts of the supporter base.

There legit would be people out would just remember him as FIGJAM the player.
I just think people are keen to embrace someone new ....but the very criticisms of past Crows Coaches, are more than evident in Buckley

I just think people forget over time ....or didn't follow his coaching journey that closely

This narrative that Nicks is an "inexperienced developing" coach who still needs more time makes absolutely no sense to me.

Aside from Dew and Alan Richardson, can anyone tell me another modern era coach who's been given as much leniency and time as Nicks has been given?

The fact that Nicks is into his 5th season is an anomaly rather than the norm. If Nicks stays until the end of end 2025 and doesn't make the finals he'll overtake both Dew and Richardson and become the longest tenured coach in the modern era to have not made the finals. It's hardly the stuff of a rookie coach that is just starting to find his feet.

Let's not kid ourselves, if he was at most other clubs he would have been lucky to have been given 3 seasons.

Yep it's bullshit

Nicks has the following experience:

44 games AFL development coach
163 games AFL assistant coach including 9 finals and a grand final
92 games AFL head coach

This week against Collingwood he will be an AFL level coach for the 300th time

Last edited by a moderator:
I just think people are keen to embrace someone new ....but the very criticisms of past Crows Coaches, are more than evident in Buckley

I just think people forget over time ....or didn't follow his coaching journey that closely
Grand final lost by a nose, prelims, finals appearances, time out of the game to observe current trends v Nicks 5 years without finals and making rookie mistakes……

Have you listened to Buckley on SEN and heard his views on current game plans and what works and what doesn’t?

Yep it's bullshit

Nicks has the following experience:

44 games AFL development coach
163 games AFL assistant coach including 9 finals and a grand final
92 games AFL head coach

This week against Collingwood he will be an AFL level coach for the 300th time
Hope we have a banner

You're either deliberately misrepresenting what he's said or have not read it properly because thats actually not what he said at all.

He said to try him at HB or wing at the expense of McHenry, he said nothing about playing him in the guts.

He brought up playing Crouch and Laird in the middle at the same time was madness, which is valid, but that comment was completely disconnected from his point about Curtain so I'm not sure why you're trying to link them together

Surely that wasn’t the first WW post you’ve read.

Grand final lost by a nose, prelims, finals appearances, time out of the game to observe current trends v Nicks 5 years without finals and making rookie mistakes……

Have you listened to Buckley on SEN and heard his views on current game plans and what works and what doesn’t?

Can you imagine arguing that a coach that was a kick away from a flag was inferior to a coach that's running with a 35% win/loss record after 5 seasons?

It actually defies all belief.

He's got to be taking the piss at this point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's coached the third most games of any Adelaide coach. And has the worst win/loss record

And that record likely flatters him, because his worst season was a shortened one.

Though, I'd rather have new assistants than keep the basement bargain ones we've got.... just sayin'.
Can’t wait to see Godden sacked again, then deployed to SANFL again to then leach back into the AFL group a year or so later again.

The guy with the broom (Kelly) is the first that needs to go. And Roo needs to have zero involvement in footy ops at all. So if he sits on footy strategy and /or list management committees, that needs to stop too.

Paraphrasing: In hindsight, it was a mistake. But we will gladly keep making that mistake.

He truly thinks they've reinvented the wheel by calling it an "impact sub". Like we've discovered something the other 17 clubs haven't been smart enough to think of.

"Nank came on and had an impact". His output playing exactly half a game was almost exactly half of his usual output this year (averaged 16.6 touches before this week, got 8 yesterday). That's not an "impact". That's just half a game.

He claimed smith had an impact on 26% TOG last week. 1 kick out and 1 handball. Nix loved the impact.

Also how did he justify making Nank sub?
See earlier, he thinks it was a great move. "Nank came on and had an impact." Bloke thinks picking a good player and them having a good game as a sub is proof they're a good sub and not just a good player.

Soligo was good after being subbed on. Rankine would be a good coming on as sub. Dawson would be a hell of a sub.

He's so obsessed with looking like a genius by subbing on an "impact player" that he's happy to let potatoes play full games in preference to a good player, just in order to huff his own farts over a sub's "impact".

He's coached the third most games of any Adelaide coach. And has the worst win/loss record

And that record likely flatters him, because his worst season was a shortened one.

Pretty sure that Nicks is now only 1 game behind Don Pyke so in a couple of weeks he'll be our 2nd longest serving coach behind Neil Craig 😳

See earlier, he thinks it was a great move. "Nank came on and had an impact." Bloke thinks picking a good player and them having a good game as a sub is proof they're a good sub and not just a good player.

Soligo was good after being subbed on. Rankine would be a good coming on as sub. Dawson would be a hell of a sub.

He's so obsessed with looking like a genius by subbing on an "impact player" that he's happy to let potatoes play full games in preference to a good player, just in order to huff his own farts over a sub's "impact".

Ned does about 3/4 in 1/4 as sub as he does in a full game.

Can you imagine arguing that a coach that was a kick away from a flag was inferior to a coach that's running with a 35% win/loss record after 5 seasons?

It actually defies all belief.

He's got to be taking the piss at this point.
I’m afraid not. I’m glad more and more posters are realising it. I can lay off Wayne now.

Pretty sure that Nicks is now only 1 game behind Don Pyke so in a couple of weeks he'll be our 2nd longest serving coach behind Neil Craig 😳
Just looked it up, Ayresy still ahead. Nicks will finish the home & away season on 106:

Craig - 166
Ayres - 107
Pyke - 93
Nicks - 92
Cornes - 89
Blight - 74
Sanderson - 69

Nicks is the only one of these to have not lost a final though.

Last edited:
Back