Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

He was cooked, well behind the pace of the game, and would have been just as much of a liability.

How they thought that selecting him before he was ready, then subbing him early two weeks in a row to really make sure his morale was destroyed was a better idea than letting him build his tank and confidence in the SANFL, I have no idea. At least pick him as the sub if you're not going to play him for a full game and then maybe he could get some midfield minutes to build his confidence.

He's clearly a big-body midfielder, not a KPD, which is something we are crying out for, but he's not ready for that role yet.

You don’t debut a kid as sub. Should always start that them so they can have a clear mindset into the game. Subbing off during the game is a much better option

All of our high draft picks, and precocious talents they have tried to get into the team as early as possible for a taste. Even a Soligo who they identified as a gun very early was in straight away - then sent back to the Sanfl for a stint - and then back into the side.

So not surprising they have done it with Curtin. You trust (and assume) that good open discussions are happening behind the scenes to ensure he keeps his chin up.

I am sure the lad would be just excited to be getting time and exposure in the big league - and it gets way overthought in a footy forum

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The messiah has spoken.

Malcolm Blight has shed some light on just how difficult it is to win a premiership in the AFL.

The two-time Adelaide premiership coach says he gets sick of the constant criticism towards certain clubs by the media and supporters alike when a team is in the midst of a flag drought.

Blight is constantly irked by the chatter around the apparent underperformance of some clubs and is always quick to leap to the defence of those stuck in premiership purgatory.

The V/AFL legend referenced a number of clubs and their recent or ongoing premiership droughts which highlights just how tricky the caper really is.

“I just want to get something off my chest,” Blight sad on SEN’s Sportsday SA.

“I’ve been a coach for a lot of years and there’s been good times and bad times, we all know that.

“This is about the new clubs that have come into the competition, not the original 12 clubs. What people don’t realise is how hard a premiership is to win.

“Melbourne, who won a few years ago, had to wait 57 years to win one. Carlton right now are on 29 years, Sydney took 72 years to win.

“The Crows have been 26 years and Port Adelaide are 20 years. They’re babies compared to these numbers.

“The Western Bulldogs took 62 years to win. Geelong took 44 years, and I was part of that (drought). Richmond were 37 years, they’ve just come off three.

“You get what I’m saying? They are so hard to win.

“Brisbane 21 years, Essendon 24 years, North Melbourne 25 years.”

Blight provided a warning to the footy media and fans who criticise those clubs who aren’t always winning flags.

“Listen to this, people out there that want to have a crack (about), ‘we haven’t won a premiership’ - it is so hard,” he added.

“Particularly these days with the salary cap and drafting, and you can get lucky and all that sort of stuff. I tell you what, the best thing you can do as a coach or a player at a club is try and get the one on the way up. Because I’ll guarantee you, there’s going to be a lot of down years.

“They are horrific numbers. People here in Adelaide and in Perth, and to some degree Brisbane and Sydney, don’t get that.

“They are bloody difficult to win and sometimes they take forever. So just sacking another coach or sacking 20 players or sacking administration is not the way to go.

“Find the right people, put a stake in the ground and then hang on.”

<iframe frameBorder="0" height="482" scrolling="no" src=""
width="100%"></iframe>

The opinion is premised on the idea that you need to have found the right people though.

The messiah has spoken.

Malcolm Blight has shed some light on just how difficult it is to win a premiership in the AFL.

The two-time Adelaide premiership coach says he gets sick of the constant criticism towards certain clubs by the media and supporters alike when a team is in the midst of a flag drought.

Blight is constantly irked by the chatter around the apparent underperformance of some clubs and is always quick to leap to the defence of those stuck in premiership purgatory.

The V/AFL legend referenced a number of clubs and their recent or ongoing premiership droughts which highlights just how tricky the caper really is.

“I’ve been a coach for a lot of years and there’s been good times and bad times, we all know that.

“This is about the new clubs that have come into the competition, not the original 12 clubs. What people don’t realise is how hard a premiership is to win.

“Melbourne, who won a few years ago, had to wait 57 years to win one. Carlton right now are on 29 years, Sydney took 72 years to win.

“The Crows have been 26 years and Port Adelaide are 20 years. They’re babies compared to these numbers.

“The Western Bulldogs took 62 years to win. Geelong took 44 years, and I was part of that (drought). Richmond were 37 years, they’ve just come off three.

Blight provided a warning to the footy media and fans who criticise those clubs who aren’t always winning flags.

“Listen to this, people out there that want to have a crack (about), ‘we haven’t won a premiership’ - it is so hard,” he added.

“Particularly these days with the salary cap and drafting, and you can get lucky and all that sort of stuff. I tell you what, the best thing you can do as a coach or a player at a club is try and get the one on the way up. Because I’ll guarantee you, there’s going to be a lot of down years.

“They are horrific numbers. People here in Adelaide and in Perth, and to some degree Brisbane and Sydney, don’t get that.

“They are bloody difficult to win and sometimes they take forever. So just sacking another coach or sacking 20 players or sacking administration is not the way to go.

width="100%"></iframe>

Welcome back

He is right but he ignores why those clubs - and us - had long periods out of contention

Its not cyclical at all

They are bloody difficult to win and sometimes they take forever. So just sacking another coach or sacking 20 players or sacking administration is not the way to go.

Find the right people, put a stake in the ground and then hang on.”

The problem isnt finding the right people - its about minimising mistakes - wether that be drafting, trading or holding onto players too long. It can be about switching game plans over a pre-season.

But hey Blighty we can wait for the club to not make more mistakes - we can suck up the idiocy on display because we are only customers after all

If only there were breaks in the game, where a team could regroup with the coach updating his instructions or even perhaps a messenger who could carry adjustments during the play to players during the match

Not having players constantly rotating through the bench makes it hard too. Imagine if a coach could be on the bench and deliver messages to players coming off for small breathers

Some more stats:
Rounds 1-5 18th for scoring from turnover; next month we are 2nd
Rounds 1-5 18th for scores per I50; next month we are 1st

Whatever happened with our game the first few weeks has been fixed and we are back to what made us a good team in 2023. If this continues for the rest of the season, finals are still a possibility, interesting times ahead and will say a lot about whether Nicks wins back the faith of the supporter base.

Nicks is a good coach, but his philosophy re selection of senior players regardless of injury and form means he’ll never be a premiership coach. Plus he still makes rookie errors on strategy. But on balance, he’s good, but unless your best 22 is far enough ahead of the comp, good isn’t enough.

The messiah has spoken.

width="100%"></iframe>

Apologists unite. Disco Fox dislikes this.

The messiah has spoken.

width="100%"></iframe>

I agree, finding the right people is key. Hopefully, we do that once this guy is done.

I agree, finding the right people is key. Hopefully, we do that once this guy is done.

We have had the right people - Teague, Francou, Rahilly spring to mind from recent times.

Problem is, the rest of the issues we have means that said right people end up leaving.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The messiah has spoken.

width="100%"></iframe>

Just goes to show that you really need to make the most of your premiership window... as can be over very quickly like in 2017/2018.

So listened to Brodie Smith interview. He said upon review of the game they just kicked contest to contest and didn’t mix it up, well no s**t Sherlock.

I wonder why that was the case? Did we follow instruction? Did we ignore instruction? What did Nicks tell the players during the game or could he only identify this issue after? Because I know this big footy nuffy picked it up at the game that we didn’t mix it up, we didn’t switch.

Interested in the thoughts of the Nicks backer, WaynesWorld19? While you’re at it, thoughts on making Nank the sub and the on going selection of McHenry?
You do realise George that every AFL Club is tweaking their gameplan approx every 6-8 weeks ......also you need to understand Clubs have to adapt to the setup the opposition throws up to you each week .....it's not consistent week on week, or club by club

It can take a while to adjust .....last two weeks, SYD's Jordon has suddenly become a tagger ....and negated FREO's best exit player out of DEF .....FREO never expected that in their "what if" scenario's

I'm hardly fussed with your carry on around subs .....if you think one player out of 22, normally a role player, is the difference in winning & losing....well, nah .....it may happen 1 game out of 20

None of us know the rationale the use of McHenry, Nank, and Smith ....we're all guessing ...we can surmise all we like

I thought Smith was much improved, Nank I really like, but remember he's just a 10 game player with a big future ....and McHenry, well that's been rehashed so many times

Schoenberg likely soon ....so it'll be interesting who makes way

Just goes to show that you really need to make the most of your premiership window... as can be over very quickly like in 2017/2018.
It seems to me, the Crows have had a very traditional way of building their list .....management of their TPP and list ....but if the big offers to oppo players is correct, we maybe seeing a new more aggressive approach ......and about time

You do realise George that every AFL Club is tweaking their gameplan approx every 6-8 weeks ......also you need to understand Clubs have to adapt to the setup the opposition throws up to you each week .....it's not consistent week on week, or club by club

It can take a while to adjust .....last two weeks, SYD's Jordon has suddenly become a tagger ....and negated FREO's best exit player out of DEF .....FREO never expected that in their "what if" scenario's

I'm hardly fussed with your carry on around subs .....if you think one player out of 22, normally a role player, is the difference in winning & losing....well, nah .....it may happen 1 game out of 20

None of us know the rationale the use of McHenry, Nank, and Smith ....we're all guessing ...we can surmise all we like

I thought Smith was much improved, Nank I really like, but remember he's just a 10 game player with a big future ....and McHenry, well that's been rehashed so many times

Schoenberg likely soon ....so it'll be interesting who makes way
Wayne, you've just made up AFL Clubs tweak their game plan every 6-8 weeks, irrespective that doesn't address my point, why did we choose to kick to a contest and not change it up during the game when it wasn't working? Is Nicks incapable assessing the state of play during a game and make changes?

But I am glad you brought up game plans, this is what you said about Nicks earlier in the year:
Nope .....Nicks deserved to be re-signed when he was !

No-one can predict when a Coach is going to go rogue bonkers
and then there is this:
It's some of the worse pre-game and in-game coaching moves I've seen from a Crows Coach for a long time

Whilst our boys Laird & Crouch rack up useless stats, Nicks is minimising the involvement of Dawson to accommodate that **** .....and playing him FWD was a game losing move

Nicks continued stubbornness in not having Dawson as the 2nd possession mid ....and having him positioned out the back of stoppages, is going to cost Nicks his job .....fancy playing your best player like this, hasn't he watched how Bevo (sic) uses The Bont !!!

In terms of the sub, you're not fussed around fielding your strongest side? You know we drew didn't you? Of course not having your best side on the field could make a difference.

What about selection integrity? You saw Nank have a good game against Port on what grounds should he be demoted to sub after a ten day break? Well we know the answer, its his inexperience and we had to bring back Smith who contributed 2 kick ins in a qtr and has been in average form.

As for McHenry, come on for someone who refers to "the eye test" when it suits and then stats, when it doesn’t, you know McHenry fails on every measure.

Perhaps the simplest explanation is:

No-one can predict when a Coach is going to go rogue bonkers

Last edited:
“This is about the new clubs that have come into the competition, not the original 12 clubs.

Perhaps it’s because, other than Brisbane, those clubs aren’t member-owned, and perhaps underachievement pisses those supporters off a lot more, because they have next-to-no say in rectifying it.

Nicks is a good coach, but his philosophy re selection of senior players regardless of injury and form means he’ll never be a premiership coach. Plus he still makes rookie errors on strategy. But on balance, he’s good, but unless your best 22 is far enough ahead of the comp, good isn’t enough.

Nicks is a good coach??

Imagine if he was only an average coach or even a bad coach what our results and player development would look like!

Under a bad or average coach we would've won a wooden spoon, not made finals, only developed one midfielder in 5 years and he'd still be playing Crouch and Laird in the guts...

That would be disastrous, thank goodness Nicks is a good coach and he's done much better than that.

Nicks is a good coach??

Imagine if he was only an average coach or even a bad coach what our results and player development would look like!

Under a bad or average coach we would've won a wooden spoon, not made finals, only developed one midfielder in 5 years and he'd still be playing Crouch and Laird in the guts...

That would be disastrous, thank goodness Nicks is a good coach and he's done much better than that.
I took it as 1970crow taking the piss….

So listened to Brodie Smith interview. He said upon review of the game they just kicked contest to contest and didn’t mix it up, well no s**t Sherlock.

I wonder why that was the case? Did we follow instruction? Did we ignore instruction? What did Nicks tell the players during the game or could he only identify this issue after? Because I know this big footy nuffy picked it up at the game that we didn’t mix it up, we didn’t switch.

Interested in the thoughts of the Nicks backer, WaynesWorld19? While you’re at it, thoughts on making Nank the sub and the on going selection of McHenry?

If only we had some experienced players in the side, with the match feel and leadership strength to recognise this during the game and adapt accordingly.

Instead of telling us on a Tuesday.

If only we had some experienced players in the side, with the match feel and leadership strength to recognise this during the game and adapt accordingly.

It’s disappointing. Smith should be getting the behind the ball crew together, Tex forward and Laird/ROB around the ground. But reality is that Tex is the only genuine game day leader.

This is the problem that I have seen time and time again with Nicks.

There's absolutely zero gameday nous at all, it's all based around him after a loss going back and analysing stats and watching replays to get some insight into why we lost.

What's the value in trying to correct things once you've already lost.

Last edited:
This is the problem that I have seen time and time again with Nicks.

There's absolutely zero game nous at all, it's all based around him after a loss going and back and analysing stats and watching replays to get some insight into why we lost.

What's the value in trying to correct things when the game has finished?

We're also bereft of genuine leaders on the field. Just look at our leadership group: it's trash.

There's a few emerging leaders like Soligo and Michalanney but they're aren't quite at that point of taking charge of a game when it's needed

Tex and Dawson are obvious leaders (Tex isn't even in the leadership group) but there's no one else above 50 games you could rely on, despite who we put in the leadership group.

Smith is constantly talked about as a leader and maybe that's true off the field. On it? Haven't seen him take charge in a close game and influence the outcome in a long time. Plays bland football and makes a lot of mistakes. Shits the bed when it gets tough

Keays sets a great example from a working hard perspective but is selfish and lacks insight into his limitations. O'Brien has no presence on the field and can't execute basic skills let alone lead a team. No idea how Hinge, Milera or Murphy are even considered for a leadership role. Then there's Fogarty who is an emerging leader who probably needs to focus more on his own form.

And outside the official group you've got guys like Laird, Crouch and Jones with experience but hardly the qualities to be a leader.

Who are the players in the squad that stand up when it's tough, know exactly what to do, don't shit the bed, bring others into the game and command on the field? There aren't many.

We're also bereft of genuine leaders on the field. Just look at our leadership group: it's trash.

There's a few emerging leaders like Soligo and Michalanney but they're aren't quite at that point of taking charge of a game when it's needed

Tex and Dawson are obvious leaders (Tex isn't even in the leadership group) but there's no one else above 50 games you could rely on, despite who we put in the leadership group.

Smith is constantly talked about as a leader and maybe that's true off the field. On it? Haven't seen him take charge in a close game and influence the outcome in a long time. Plays bland football and makes a lot of mistakes. Shits the bed when it gets tough

Keays sets a great example from a working hard perspective but is selfish and lacks insight into his limitations. O'Brien has no presence on the field and can't execute basic skills let alone lead a team. No idea how Hinge, Milera or Murphy are even considered for a leadership role. Then there's Fogarty who is an emerging leader who probably needs to focus more on his own form.

And outside the official group you've got guys like Laird, Crouch and Jones with experience but hardly the qualities to be a leader.

Who are the players in the squad that stand up when it's tough, know exactly what to do, don't s**t the bed, bring others into the game and command on the field? There aren't many.
Worrell is a another leadership group candidate. Usually has a lot to say on the field and absolutely hates losing.

Back