Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 6, 2010
Viana do Castelo (Portugal)
AFL Club
Adelaide
Continues from: Opinion - Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Funny about that. I was talking to a guy mid-week. In his job he deals with alot of boards and he said the Crows board is one of the worst to deal with. They still think they are running an elite club and are completely out of touch with the precarious position the club now finds itself. He is one-eyed Crows supporter.

Have a question around this, precarious? WTF kind of wording is that. There is nothing precarious about the AFC and therefor I presume it means dealing with Thebby. Be careful about believing what people say when they are in a mood because they have to do their jobs and had a bad day at work. Yes, its the Crows board who are in the wrong. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a question around this, precarious? WTF kind of wording is that. There is nothing precarious about the AFC and therefor I presume it means dealing with Thebby. Be careful about believing what people say when they are in a mood because they have to do their jobs and had a bad day at work. Yes, its the Crows board who are in the wrong. lol
And it's unlikely that any "guy" gets to deal with the Board, or indeed any company Board. They would have to deal with the administration, CEO, etc.

No, reality is that the club makes mistakes and pointing out and discussing those mistakes and how we could get better is all part of being on a football forum.

Your lot rail against that, you hate criticism of the club and therefore try to shut it down which leads to s**t fights. So what choice do you lot have? Accept that analysis of the club is deeper than reading the clubs socials and shut up if you’re not happy if some of us want more or stop reading. Your choice.
IMG_1236.gif

We had McLeod, Ricciuto, Goodwin, Edwards and Thompson in our 2005 era midfield and walked away with a worse winning record and no flags under Neil Craig

It doesn't just happen
Melbourne also had Tom McDonald and Ben Brown as their main key forwards (Fritsch is their Scott Welsh). Thinking about it, there's a lot of similarities between this current Melbourne side and the 2005-06 Craig side. Elite midfield, solid defence containing one of the best KPDs in the league (they have May, we had Truck) and a below-average forward line. The difference is, obviously, Melbourne were able to get a flag out of them.

COACH CONTRACTS​

OUT OF CONTRACT IN 2024
Justin Longmuir
(Fremantle)
- Under pressure

Matthew Nicks (Adelaide)
- Should be safe
Michael Voss (Carlton)
- New deal in works
OUT OF CONTRACT IN 2025
Luke Beveridge
(Western Bulldogs)
Adam Simpson (West Coast)
Ken Hinkley (Port Adelaide)
Chris Fagan (Brisbane Lions)
Adam Kingsley (GWS)
Sam Mitchell (Hawthorn)
John Longmire (Sydney Swans)
Imo a coach currently contracted to 2025 will be 1st to go next season.

potentially. What's undoubtable is that there's reduced jobs/resources for footy dept spend compared to pre-covid, so same supply but less demand. This should equal greater access to perceived higher end talent. Plus they've just added an extra $100k+ to footy dept cap and yet we have, most certainly, gone with a lesser spend. This makes zero sense, unless we're banking our bikkies on a scaled down cost model in order to assist our borrowing credentials. What concerns me about this, is that we're effectively a public service cultured enterprise, so any cost reductions at our implementation level will be offset by extra 'management' costs outside of our deliverable area. It's just how a bureaucracy operates.
So what you're saying is that there's a spare 100k hanging around for say... a team building camp?

I reckon we could use that right about now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This really irks me. He absolutely should NOT be safe. Simply being better than the worst seasons in our history (with him at the helm) should not be a reason for safety.
I would have thought finals is a non negotiable unless there is a freak set of circumstances around injury to a large number of players.

I would also suggest if he crack top 4 with the team next year, he will get a multi year new contract.

My take on Nicks year is...(assumes somewhat normal injury year)

-Miss finals...fail...sack

-Bottom of eight...pass... two year extension

-Top four... credit...two year extension

-Losing preliminary final... distinction... two to three year extension

-Grand final...high distinction...three to four year extension

-Premiership...the Nicks dynasty is only just started and Matthew becomes Adelaide's favourite name for newborn boys.

A freak umpire decision ultimately cost us Finals this year. After two close losses, we should have won, against the Premier

Anything less than Finals in 2024 is a backward step.

Which unfortunately may mean Nicks has taken us as far as he can.

Right man for the period after Pyke/Camp and the rebuild.

Now needs to prove he is the right man for the Premiership Push.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

A freak umpire decision ultimately cost us Finals this year. After two close losses, we should have won, against the Premier

Anything less than Finals in 2024 is a backward step.

Which unfortunately may mean Nicks has taken us as far as he can.

Right man for the period after Pyke/Camp and the rebuild.

Now needs to prove he is the right man for the Premiership Push.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Personally I am glad that the club has left calls over his future until next year.

Regardless of that Sydney game, I think if Nicks is good enough as a coach then that moment shouldn't matter in terms of his future as coach.

If he can prove next year that he's the man for the job then he gets an extension, otherwise we 100% move him on.

My take on Nicks year is...(assumes somewhat normal injury year)

-Miss finals...fail...sack

-Bottom of eight...pass... two year extension

-Top four... credit...two year extension

-Losing preliminary final... distinction... two to three year extension

-Grand final...high distinction...three to four year extension

-Premiership...the Nicks dynasty is only just started and Matthew becomes Adelaide's favourite name for newborn boys.

Will be fascinating what happens if we get some key injuries and what that means for an extension.

If Walker's form slides in 2024, Nicks is cooked.

I disagree.

I 100% am in agreeance, that Tex's form over-inflated our form to a certain extent, however next year is the year that Fog & RT take over. They simply have to.

Anything Tex produces has to be a bonus. He reproduces 2023 form and look out.

Will be fascinating what happens if we get some key injuries and what that means for an extension.
Yeah... injury to a critical player is a massive missed opportunity for most teams. It was something that impressed me this year with Melbourne given they still made top 4 and did it with Clayton Oliver contributing barely anything for the season. Good depth matters.

We have traded and drafted well over the past few years and our list is becoming more balanced. We also have about 35-38 guys on our list who might adequately cover injuries. But of course, never as well as the injured first 22 player.
But sometimes...a Josh Worrell shaped diamond can be found.

Unless we get multiple key injuries, Nicks should have a squad prepared for inevitable injuries. He needs to continue to coach the squad, not just the 22.

I disagree.

I 100% am in agreeance, that Tex's form over-inflated our form to a certain extent, however next year is the year that Fog & RT take over. They simply have to.

Anything Tex produces has to be a bonus. He reproduces 2023 form and look out.
"They simply have to" doesn't make any sense to me. They're either good enough or they aren't. They aren't just going to be good because we need them to be good.

"They simply have to" doesn't make any sense to me. They're either good enough or they aren't. They aren't just going to be good because we need them to be good.
Yeah, I get that.

However, both have shown they are good enough, just consistency from week to week, or quarter to quarter.

So, it's not a pipe dream.

Back