Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

You don’t reckon we were slow to move the ball looking for short passes only for us to then bomb it long?

I didn’t see much playing on from a mark or overlap run.
With our short and slow midfield, Nicks doesn't want turnovers up the field so we play a slow possession game. He then thinks with the likes of Rankine, Rachel's, Pedlar, Murphy and Keays, we will get enough ground ball to score. Unfortunately Stewart didn't drop any marks for us to get the ground ball

I actually think we were so scared of Stewart we played right into his hands

'' uh no we didnt have a plan for Stewart - you cant uhh plan for good players''

' man that chip pass plan didnt work what are we gonna say'
Issues is it’s the same plan we used in all our preseason games and against Gold Coast.

We’ve clearly been told to stop and look for a pass

With our short and slow midfield, Nicks doesn't want turnovers up the field so we play a slow possession game. He then thinks with the likes of Rankine, Rachel's, Pedlar, Murphy and Keays, we will get enough ground ball to score. Unfortunately Stewart didn't drop any marks for us to get the ground ball
But we are effectively the same team we played last year, it’s his strategy to make us more defensive by making us less offensive :drunk::drunk:

Has Malcolm Blight fallen into line?

Hasn’t been critical of Nicks or his re-signing.

In the past he’s gone to town on coaches who aren’t attacking and try and slow the game down, we lost on the weekend because of stupid coaching and it’s crickets.

He retreated a couple of times last year and/or year before. Remember him saying how he was invited to the club to talk to Nicksy and came to the new conclusion that he was on the right track. Surprise, surprise.

I actually think we were so scared of Stewart we played right into his hands

'' uh no we didnt have a plan for Stewart - you cant uhh plan for good players''

' man that chip pass plan didnt work what are we gonna say'
That short chip game could work against Stewart if you move the ball quick, play 6/6 inside 50 and then deliver the ball in short and low inside 50 to hit up leading targets. Doesn't give Stewart a chance to zone off or take a mark in the air.

We went short and slow until we got it to the HF line and then just bombed it in there as quick as we could to outnumbered contest.

I like how every club dip$hit interviewed mentioned how Stewart is a 5 time AA and sometimes they just get you. At least they're all on message with the excuses.
It's such a weird excuse to use. "Oh, this guy is really good, so you know, we can't be blamed that he toweled us up".

The words of someone who is too cowardly to own up to a *up or too deluded to see the plan was s**t.

It's such a weird excuse to use. "Oh, this guy is really good, so you know, we can't be blamed that he toweled us up".

The words of someone who is too cowardly to own up to a *up or too deluded to see the plan was s**t.
I only heard the end of it but Rowey made note of it, brought up Curnow example when he kicked a bag on us, Nicks excused it because he was so good.

If a coach ain’t going to take ownership for a s**t tactic and just shrug his shoulders when an opposition player runs amok, what’s the point of actually having a coach?

I only heard the end of it but Rowey made note of it, brought up Curnow example when he kicked a bag on us, Nicks excused it because he was so good.

If a coach ain’t going to take ownership for a s**t tactic and just shrug his shoulders when an opposition player runs amok, what’s the point of actually having a coach?
Matthew Nicks 2024 “we are unable to make the 8 this year as 8 other teams are just too good”

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully we don't come up against any other good players

Players these days like mr nice guy as coach. I remember when Sando got sacked it was straight after a few leaders went to Chapman complaining about him. As they all love nicks this won’t happen.

Nicks would be a great senior assistant. The one the players feel comfortable with talking to. We need a better strategic mind as coach. I think Pyke and Nicks combo would have been good if Pyke didn’t step down after review. Pyke coach and the Nicks his right hand man and the players mate.

Or the other way around - we need a strong assistant who is ruthless and tactical, to let Nicks be the nice guy.

Hinkley is similar, we need a Bassett type alongside Nicks.

Or the other way around - we need a strong assistant who is ruthless and tactical, to let Nicks be the nice guy.

Hinkley is similar, we need a Bassett type alongside Nicks.

Nicks has had strong assistants already. He just is too headstrong. I think we are getting an insight as to why Rahilly left.

I like how every club dip$hit interviewed mentioned how Stewart is a 5 time AA and sometimes they just get you. At least they're all on message with the excuses.

Yes heard it on the 5AA Sports Show and think it was Hombsch then followed by Sloane and they literally said the same thing word for word.

It is all about the messaging.

I don’t think they appear too different philosophically. Hinkley has benefitted from more and better targeted trading and higher quality midfields. But I don’t reckon there’s much difference in how they go about it.

Oh definitely. Nicks spent virtually his entire coaching apprenticeship under Hinkley. And I agree Ken has benefited from better list upgrades

But there just isn’t an argument that Hinkley hasn’t been a much better coach

For whatever reason, for whatever similarity, it’s just true

Back