Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I like how every club dip$hit interviewed mentioned how Stewart is a 5 time AA and sometimes they just get you. At least they're all on message with the excuses.

season 8 beatnik GIF

How'd you even do that?? Great effort mate, I laughed

Mucking around with this. Just wrote the dodgy lyrics and then pasted them into that site, told it to make a pop song. It actually turned out pretty good. A lot of the songs it generates are not very good. I could have recorded and mixed the track myself but that is just a bit too nuffy.

Last edited:

Has he improved culture though? We had unhappy players, but was that our culture? We need a culture where performance, not excuses, are demanded of everyone individually and the club as a collective. We don’t have that, we have a weak and pathetic culture.

Look at the players lost / gained between 2017 and end of 2020.

Then compare what we gained lost between 2021 and 2023. Chalk and Cheese.

The club was massively toxic and players wanted out. Nicks was brought in to mend it and he has done it. Now we need a coach who knows what he is doing to take us to the next step.

Look at the players lost / gained between 2017 and end of 2020.

Then compare what we gained lost between 2021 and 2023. Chalk and Cheese.

The club was massively toxic and players wanted out. Nicks was brought in to mend it and he has done it. Now we need a coach who knows what he is doing to take us to the next step.

you reckon culture was the reason that we lost players? Can’t think of many that didn’t get longer or better deals.

you reckon culture was the reason that we lost players? Can’t think of many that didn’t get longer or better deals.

Ha ha ha. I am not sure how many more signs you need. Player exodus. Camp that divided the group. Sacked coach. External Review. Players leaking stories to media. Previous players lashing out (McLeod). Club creating a new role head of culture and development (Daniel Jackson).

I get it players leave for money. It happens. But how many times have players had a friend take photos of them throwing away all of their team gear into a public dumpster and releasing it to the media?

How anyone can still be in denial is hilarious.

I think Dawson is finding out the difference between a good coach and a bad coach now.
He would have had doubts when they played him in the backlines for the first year and a bit, now those doubts have been confirmed after seeing the game plan this year.

Ha ha ha. I am not sure how many more signs you need. Player exodus. Camp that divided the group. Sacked coach. External Review. Players leaking stories to media. Previous players lashing out (McLeod). Club creating a new role head of culture and development (Daniel Jackson).

I get it players leave for money. It happens. But how many times have players had a friend take photos of them throwing away all of their team gear into a public dumpster and releasing it to the media?

How anyone can still be in denial is hilarious.

That happened before the camp. And the reason behind players leaving is what we’re discussing, it can’t be used as evidence for itself.

Mucking around with this. Just wrote the dodgy lyrics and then pasted them into that site, told it to make a pop song. It actually turned out pretty good. A lot of the songs it generates are not very good. I could have recorded and mixed the track myself but that is just a bit too nuffy.
Any chance we could get our song and that mixed up somehow.
So it’s gets played when we wi……..oh never mind, won’t work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's what gets lost in the discussion about club culture. It's one thing to remove toxic people like Burton and Campo and make it more enjoyable for people to come into work each day. Quality players will still leave if they think they're going to spend most of their career losing.
One problem at a time

I like how every club dip$hit interviewed mentioned how Stewart is a 5 time AA and sometimes they just get you. At least they're all on message with the excuses.
When a coach takes no responsibility or accountability it filters down to the players. No wonder we are losing with a coach who thinks he's doing a good job. Clown.

That happened before the camp. And the reason behind players leaving is what we’re discussing, it can’t be used as evidence for itself.

Players left because we had a s**t culture and they hated the place. Its overwhelming. I mean the clubs 3rd leading goal kicker wrote a book that had a chapter dedicated to our s**t culture. Another had a mate take photos of him throwing out his crows stuff and leaked it to the media. McGovern wasn't money hungry when he signed a 3 year extension and ignored West Coasts money but 14months later he suddenly gets really greedy and demands to leave for more cash?

But then again club director Mark Riccuito did come out and say that they all left for more money! Lets just forget that this was the same guy who when being pressed about our s**t culture said "trust the club or stop barracking for the Crows".

It doesn't matter that Media, ex coaches and player managers all slammed ROO saying he was deluded. I trust this Roo guy - he has a pretty good track record.

But then again club director Mark Riccuito did come out and say that they all left for more money!

More than one thing can be true at once; and we didn’t have a great culture but no one took less to leave, in fact no one even left for the same

They all got BIG pay rises. In some cases double

Except for Betts and Jenkins who we didnt want, and paid to play elsewhere

Even Cameron and Lever would have stayed if we matched terms

I don’t think any of them were sad to leave but no one left money on the table to go; not even nearly

More than one thing can be true at once; and we didn’t have a great culture but no one took less to leave, in fact no one even left for the same

They all got BIG pay rises. In some cases double

Except for Betts and Jenkins who we didnt want, and paid to play elsewhere

Even Cameron and Lever would have stayed if we matched terms

I don’t think any of them were sad to leave but no one left money on the table to go; not even nearly

We had money for Gibbs but couldn't afford Lever, McGovern, Keath, Cameron? No bloody way.

They wanted to leave and used that to secure themselves more money. Have there been any best 22 players you know of across any team that have moved teams and taken less money?

I know of no other Grand Final losing team that has had the exodus we have had. Other clubs had players take pay cuts to keep the team together.

When half of your Grand Final team plays for other teams (plus McGovern / Keath) within 3 seasons of a Grand Final it aint about money.

We had money for Gibbs but couldn't afford Lever, McGovern, Keath, Cameron? No bloody way.

They wanted to leave and used that to secure themselves more money. Have there been any best 22 players you know of across any team that have moved teams and taken less money?

I know of no other Grand Final losing team that has had the exodus we have had. Other clubs had players take pay cuts to keep the team together.

When half of your Grand Final team plays for other teams (plus McGovern / Keath) within 3 seasons of a Grand Final it aint about money.

Of course it was about money. No player left for less or even the same

They left for big increases

Charlie Cameron wanted to go home for family reasons, to a place where he had little if any family and a contract doubling his salary

Lever would’ve stayed if we paid him

McGovern has subsequently been revealed to have been given 800k for 5 years

Betts & Jenkins we booted out for the camp shenanigans and paid them to be elsewhere.

etc etc

If it was only desperation to leave, why would teams offer so much money to induce them to leave?

It should be have been possible to offer them same or less

Of course it was about money. No player left for less or even the same

They left for big increases

Charlie Cameron wanted to go home for family reasons, to a place where he had little if any family and a contract doubling his salary

Lever would’ve stayed if we paid him

McGovern has subsequently been revealed to have been given 800k for 5 years

Betts & Jenkins we booted out for the camp shenanigans and paid them to be elsewhere.

etc etc

If it was only desperation to leave, why would teams offer so much money to induce them to leave?

It should be have been possible to offer them same or less

Because its a free market. When good players want to leave 1 club it allows for 17 other clubs to throw money at them and them to secure the best deal possible.

Its a two step process. First step is players hating the culture and wanting out. Step 2 is securing the best deal for yourself.

Again - its crazy to me that McGovern refused all of those big money offers in 2017 to stay. Then suddenly he becomes greedy in 2018? I acknowledge that players leave clubs for money. Why did Lever hate us so much if it was just about the money?

Charlie wanted out. Had a year to run on his contract. Publicly said he would play out 2019 but wouldn't re-sign with Adelaide when he was out of contract.

Either we must be the unluckiest club in AFL history to have multiple best 22 players demand to be traded mid contract for more money or we had a s**t culture that made players want to get the hell outta dodge.

Because its a free market. When good players want to leave 1 club it allows for 17 other clubs to throw money at them and them to secure the best deal possible.

Its a two step process. First step is players hating the culture and wanting out. Step 2 is securing the best deal for yourself.

Again - its crazy to me that McGovern refused all of those big money offers in 2017 to stay. Then suddenly he becomes greedy in 2018? I acknowledge that players leave clubs for money. Why did Lever hate us so much if it was just about the money?

Charlie wanted out. Had a year to run on his contract. Publicly said he would play out 2019 but wouldn't re-sign with Adelaide when he was out of contract.

Either we must be the unluckiest club in AFL history to have multiple best 22 players demand to be traded mid contract for more money or we had a s**t culture that made players want to get the hell outta dodge.

Why do teams need to overpay for players desperate to leave?

Why do teams need to overpay for players desperate to leave?

Because if they don't offer enough $$$$ there are plenty of other teams out of the potential 16 suitors that will.. They also have agents that want to maximize their players contract.

Our exodus wasn't because half our grand final team woke up one day and thought "we can earn more elsewhere". It was more get me the hell out of it and then they leveraged their position to get more money.

Because if they don't offer enough $$$$ there are plenty of other teams out of the potential 16 suitors that will.. They also have agents that want to maximize their players contract.

Our exodus wasn't because half our grand final team woke up one day and thought "we can earn more elsewhere". It was more get me the hell out of it and then they leveraged their position to get more money.

Why does any team offer a penny more than they need to?

The problem with your theory, which you can’t talk around and avoid: is that it took substantial overs to pry everyone away

You can go round in circles a dozen times but you can’t make that glaring hole go away

I don’t think anyone was sad to go, and our morale was poor but not a single player was prepared to sacrifice a single red cent to get away

Not one

The only player who might have sacrificed anything to get away is McAdam under super coach.

Back