Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why does any team offer a penny more than they need to?

Because if they don't another team will offer more.

When a required best 22 player leaves - they effectively become a free agent and can negotiate a new contract with a new club. Their agent would use other teams to get the best for their client.

Do you honestly think that Carlton approached McGovern with 2 years remaining on his contract and said - we are gonna throw out an offer of 800k for 4 years?

Or do you think McGovern hated the club, wanted out and said I am leaving no matter what. Then his agent went out and got him the best deal.

Its just crazy that all of these money hungry bastards have all stayed at the same club since they left us. I mean Cameron was negotiating his contract in 2020 after being an All Australian in 2019. You don't think a club like North Melbourne would have offered him more than Brisbane? Lever couldn't have gotten more by leaving Melbourne and has since signed 2 contract extensions.

The problem with your theory, which you can’t talk around and avoid: is that it took substantial overs to pry everyone away

Well no. They got market value once they had decided to leave.

Every single player best 22 player that leaves a club for another club gets a pay rise. How many players swap clubs for less money? Can you name any?

You can go round in circles a dozen times but you can’t make that glaring hole go away

I don’t think anyone was sad to go, and our morale was poor but not a single player was prepared to sacrifice a single red cent to get awa

Not one

This is the error in your thinking. We lost 11 players from that grand final team plus McGovern and Keath.

Why in the world would they leave for less money when they all left anyway and made more money?

Because if they don't another team will offer more.

When a required best 22 player leaves - they effectively become a free agent and can negotiate a new contract with a new club. Their agent would use other teams to get the best for their client.

Do you honestly think that Carlton approached McGovern with 2 years remaining on his contract and said - we are gonna throw out an offer of 800k for 4 years?

Or do you think McGovern hated the club, wanted out and said I am leaving no matter what. Then his agent went out and got him the best deal.

Its just crazy that all of these money hungry bastards have all stayed at the same club since they left us. I mean Cameron was negotiating his contract in 2020 after being an All Australian in 2019. You don't think a club like North Melbourne would have offered him more than Brisbane? Lever couldn't have gotten more by leaving Melbourne and has since signed 2 contract extensions.

Well no. They got market value once they had decided to leave.

Every single player best 22 player that leaves a club for another club gets a pay rise. How many players swap clubs for less money? Can you name any?

This is the error in your thinking. We lost 11 players from that grand final team plus McGovern and Keath.

Why in the world would they leave for less money when they all left anyway and made more money?

Can you list the 11 players.

The 11 players from the grand final team that were on another team within 3 years? Lever, Cameron, Keath, Jacobs, Betts, Jenkins, Greenwood, Atkins, Kelly, Hartigan. (sorry only 10 - I thought Knight played elsewhere).

Plus Keath and McGovern.

T'was an exodus.

You should really look closer at that list and the individual circumstances of each player. You wouldn't simultaneously have argued we moved on players to do a full rebuild?

Oh look, only a month ago we actively traded 5 of the 10 away to support the 'deliberate rebuild' argument. You should probably pick a position and stick to it. You can't have it both ways.

An argument can be made though, in fairness to Moysten, that the rebuild did start at the end of 2019.

We did trade away 5 first choice players at the end of 2019 (Betts, Jacobs, Jenkins, Keath, Greenwood).

You should really look closer at that list and the individual circumstances of each player. You wouldn't simultaneously have argued we moved on players to do a full rebuild?

We lost 11 of our best 22 (plus two very important players who didnt play in the Grand Final) within 3 years.

The team we lost the grand final to had 17 players from 2017 play in September of 2020.

Now if you have an agenda - its easy to try and explain away each one. But when its that much of a massive turnover COMBINED with all of the other issues we had during that 3 year stretch (everyone getting fired/camp/ media leaks/directors telling fans they can stop barracking) it can't be explained as we were the only unlucky club to have greedy players.

Oh look, only a month ago we actively traded 5 of the 10 away to support the 'deliberate rebuild' argument. You should probably pick a position and stick to it. You can't have it both ways.

We traded em away because they wanted to get the hell out. Betts wrote a chapter in a book about it. Jenkins the same.

We lost players because of the culture. Our culture was completely shite between September 2017 and October 2020.

And it was never a deliberate rebuild. It was a forced rebuild because our culture f*cked us so bad.

And for someone who is so critical of the club about everything all the time - I have zero idea how you can't think that our s**t culture was the #1 reason of having a mass exodus.

Has Malcolm Blight fallen into line?

Hasn’t been critical of Nicks or his re-signing.

In the past he’s gone to town on coaches who aren’t attacking and try and slow the game down, we lost on the weekend because of stupid coaching and it’s crickets.
It might just be that he's in his 70's so he's probably not front and center giving opinions in the media now. I suspect he's enjoying his life and not worrying about it as much.

And for someone who is so critical of the club about everything all the time - I have zero idea how you can't think that our s**t culture was the #1 reason of having a mass exodus.
If we lost all those players partially because the culture was poor, then presumably Nicks would deserve some credit for turning the culture around, since we have largely stopped bleeding players and have attracted some quality recruits. Therefore the culture was fine.

If we lost all those players partially because the culture was poor, then presumably Nicks would deserve some credit for turning the culture around, since we have largely stopped bleeding players and have attracted some quality recruits. Therefore the culture was fine.

Huh?

Yes, I 100% credit Nicks for helping turn the culture around. I am on the record for years saying that was the exact reason Mathew Nicks was hired is because he was a lovable players coach who would make it a fun place to play again. He can't coach his way out of a wet paper bag on gameday, but he was very instrumental in our culture.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huh?

Yes, I 100% credit Nicks for helping turn the culture around. I am on the record for years saying that was the exact reason Mathew Nicks was hired is because he was a lovable players coach who would make it a fun place to play again. He can't coach his way out of a wet paper bag on gameday, but he was very instrumental in our culture.
A bit subtle perhaps - I was kidding, and responding to your question.

Admittedly our season turned around because Dawson requested a move to the middle in Rd 3. Perhaps Rankine/Rachele can make similar demands.
This has proved to be prescient, with Rachele doing just that.
Doing that publicly was an error of judgment imo.

However, Dawson's move worked (so well, oppo teams are figuring out ways to counter it) and if Rachele's increased mid attendances work, then wtf is our Head Coach doing?
We might do just as well, or better, polling the players as to selection and positioning.

Rachele has been talking about playing midfield for ages. And of course he has actually played some midfield as well. He attended at least a third of CBAs in 7 games last season and at least half in 4 games. In terms of CBAs attended in 2023 for the club he sat in 5th, between Jake Soligo and Ben Keays.

They've obviously always had an interest in playing him through the middle. Pretty different from the Dawson situation.

Back