Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Did you think we would have even challenge for the 8 last year? I thought we were ahead of scheduled and Nicks still had 1 years left on his contract but you wanted to sack him end of last year?

We challenged for the 8 under a false economy though. Nicks found a squad he could milk for 60% wins and honourable losses so to him, he used every mature body he could find to try and get us over the line and he openly admits to throwing development out the window. So he created this air of expectation around finals but we have literally no depth. He really only half completed the development task. He could have spent all of last year pumping games into Nankervis, Cook, Dowling etc trying to find our next generation team. Thats what Fremantle did and they only did half a rebuild. Look where they are. There midfield slaughtered us and they were youngsters.

I’d argue that Rozee and Butters alone have given Port another 10 years of competitiveness. There were about 4-5 decisions around trades and drafting that completely screwed us over those 2 years. Hamish shouldn’t be immune to accountability
I'd argue that Rachele and Dawson would be looking 10 times better in Port's system.

Cornesy - 'hes done a remarkable job'

Oh dear :$

He’s done a solid job, remarkable is overstating it just slightly Graham.

No shame in it not working out, history is not favourable to the rebuilding coach staying long enough to take the team to finals and beyond… The needless contract extension is what will see the questions asked. If he can’t turn it around, must go. The cost of keeping him will outweigh any payout.

We challenged for the 8 under a false economy though. Nicks found a squad he could milk for 60% wins and honourable losses so to him, he used every mature body he could find to try and get us over the line and he openly admits to throwing development out the window. So he created this air of expectation around finals but we have literally no depth. He really only half completed the development task. He could have spent all of last year pumping games into Nankervis, Cook, Dowling etc trying to find our next generation team. Thats what Fremantle did and they only did half a rebuild. Look where they are. There midfield slaughtered us and they were youngsters.
So you would have sacked him end of last year as well?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've seen enough from players like Dawson and Rankine - not even including our best draftees - to know they are AFL quality

Nicks has made them play like s**t.

Jordan Dawson. He's made him s**t. All Australian to a scrubber who can't kick.

Forget trying to make Rachele or Pedlar good, he can't even get an All Australian from last year playing well

I've seen enough from players like Dawson and Rankine - not even including our best draftees - to know they are AFL quality

Nicks has made them play like s**t.

Jordan Dawson. He's made him s**t. All Australian to a scrubber who can't kick.

Forget trying to make Rachele or Pedlar good, he can't even get an All Australian from last year playing well
The way we are playing, it's like we are tanking before the season even started...

Back