Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

multiple times, and is adamant that is was the right decision, and nicks deserved a contract

His rationale made zero sense too

'Imagine how much pressure Nicks would be under now if he didn't have a contract"

This is a coach in his 5th year, if he can't handle pressure at this stage of his career then he'll never make it.

He sounds like an absolute gronk in his press conferences. "Oh gee we just have a lot of players out of form".
The concern there is what is he seeing in training? Did we spend a large part of the off-season missing every target and he still thought it'd be prudent to pick that group of players?

Or somewhere between PS and Round 1 has something happened to get into the players heads so much? One or two players down on form I can see, that'll happen, but this is damn near everyone he's earmarked in the best 25 seemingly having their confidence and skills sapped. Something stinks massively ATM.

Being at the game, it's clear he has completely destroyed the teams game plan. As soon as it leaves the D50 the players are lost. Nicks has them so focused on defending there is no movement, it's safety first down the line crap.

He has eradicated flair and run. Stagnant play leaving our forwards no chance.

Plus the skill errors are being made so much worse as opposition are just sitting forward of the ball waiting to pounce on the sling shot.

He's got no idea

Being at the game, it's clear he has completely destroyed the teams game plan. As soon as it leaves the D50 the players are lost. Nicks has them so focused on defending there is no movement, it's safety first down the line crap.

Plus the skill errors are being made so much worse as opposition are just sitting forward of the ball waiting to pounce on the sling shot.

He's got no idea

Yeah i dont get it. 99% of those players played a majority of the year and in our high scoring teams. Why on earth would he change that. Again, he got scared and wants to be this perfect defensive team that holds scoring teams to under 100. Only thing is the buffoon has cost the side an ability to score.

The concern there is what is he seeing in training? Did we spend a large part of the off-season missing every target and he still thought it'd be prudent to pick that group of players?

Or somewhere between PS and Round 1 has something happened to get into the players heads so much? One or two players down on form I can see, that'll happen, but this is damn near everyone he's earmarked in the best 25 seemingly having their confidence and skills sapped. Something stinks massively ATM.

He just doesn't understand why the team sucks, the team he decided on based on the bruise free pre-season training. Guys like Rankine looking like world beaters in training end up looking like plodders in the real stuff.

He's got no idea
Reminds me of that s**t Pyke had us doing where we'd spend 25 possessions and 90 seconds minutes chipping it around our defensive half and teams just cleared their defensive 50 out and set up for us to eventually bomb it down the line and they could intercept and counter.

How many times have you seen a player stage a photo shoot of him throwing out his ex teams gear? How many players have written books where the main selling point is a chapter about how F*cked our culture was? How many players leak stories to the media all year before leaving that destabilize the club? How many players turn their back on a club after signing a 3 year deal and then 12 months later quit with their manager publicly stating "The reasons Mitch left the Crows was because of the camp and the Adelaide football department and that's it". Add in an external review, the firing of Burton and Campo, and the employment of Daniel Jackson as the head of culture. Not to mention all the noise around those idiots at collective minds.

All of this was just a coincidence when we had a mass exodus of half of our grand final team because players are greedy?

And the cherry on top - is that your argument is the same as Mark Riccuito. It's the easy way to pacify our fanbase and its the easy way out. Ohhh these greedy players are just after more money.

most those things aren't true for example the camp complainers were not the ones leaving and there wasn't an immediate exodus it's been a persistent problem so obviously it is a choice by the club. but obviously a good culture and some love by the coach is always handy in keeping a group together so probably you have a point too. anyway after tonight's game this is probably an old talking point now!

Yeah i dont get it. 99% of those players played a majority of the year and in our high scoring teams. Why on earth would he change that. Again, he got scared and wants to be this perfect defensive team that holds scoring teams to under 100. Only thing is the buffoon has cost the side an ability to score.
Nicks has totally leaned into his worst football instincts harder then ever and totally destroyed any balance our gameplan had.

The defensive problems from last year were personnel, not gameplan. Not one defender was brought in during the trade period. We also lose Doedee (who we luckily dodged a bullet there) but no replacement was brought in. What are they thinking? If Butts and Keane get injured who are we playing? Himmelberg?

Nicks has totally leaned into his worst football instincts harder then ever and totally destroyed any balance our gameplan had.

I think he genuinely looked at the games we lost, saw how we were cut up, instead of trying to improve our side, he decided to look at defending games to death and hoped our high scoring would kick in.

The ridiculous part of it was the Power gave us an exact template on how it should have been handled. This makes it so inexcusable.

If things went to s**t with Hinkley last year and he was unsigned, it would have been just a very open separation, just mature and grown up. The board wouldn't have really needed to have made a decision, everyone would have known his time was up.

He would have left and it would have been a bit of a nothing story.
Sometime at the end of last year Tim Silvers was asked about Nicks’ re-signing in an interview and said something like “we saw what just happened with Hinkley and Port and we want to learn from that”.

I naively thought he meant exactly what you’re suggesting, that “we don’t want to re-sign a coach and have it all fall apart immediately after”, which is exactly what is currently unfolding (and in Hinkley’s case the falling apart was the straight sets finals exit, he always gets them playing finals, we will never play finals under Nicks).

But he actually meant the complete ******* opposite, he meant “we want to shield Nicks from any and all contract speculation, so we’ll sign him as early as possible, no need for him to prove himself”.

Spineless. Frauds.

Sometime at the end of last year Tim Silvers was asked about Nicks’ re-signing in an interview and said something like “we saw what just happened with Hinkley and Port and want to learn from that”.

I naively thought he meant exactly what you’re suggesting, that “we don’t want to re-sign a coach and have it all fall apart immediately after”, which is exactly what is currently unfolding (and in Hinkley’s case the falling apart was the straight sets finals exit, he always gets them playing finals, we will never play finals under Nicks).

But he actually meant the complete ******* opposite, he meant “we want to shield Nicks from any and all contract speculation so we’ll sign him as early as possible, no need for him to prove himself”.

Spineless. Frauds.
Hinkley should have been sacked. There's nothing to be learnt from port.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mid season
Caretaker coach then we bring in Nathan Buckley or Dean Cox
I'd like to see Buckley on board - at least give him a go. He may not have a premiership, but he did take Collingwood within a goal of winning one. And he strikes me as the kind of coach who will take no s**t - the kind of person we need at this soft club.

I'd like to see Buckley on board - at least give him a go. He may not have a premiership, but he did take Collingwood within a goal of winning one. And he strikes me as the kind of coach who will take no s**t - the kind of person we need at this soft club.

I'd take Buckley in a heart beat, get the chequebook out (we won't)...

He just said, 'it was right to sign him when they did, imagine if he was unsigned and they were 0-3'

FMD.
Methinks it's time for Cornesy to head off to the retirement village.

I was very unimpressed by Nicks' resume when he was appointed in 2019. At times it has looked like he might be our man, but now I think I've seen enough.

This is not a united team.

Do we have a happy hugging Mark Neeld?

I maintain there is a non-zero chance that Nicks can’t coach at all. At all

He’s been given free pass after free pass, but there isn’t all that much evidence of actual progress

And I remind you he was not expected to crash and burn in 2020, that was a shock to everyone

Since then? Excuse after excuse

The perfect storm of last season with Tex, low injury and great draw still didn’t amount to much

the issue is broader than Nicks

the club promises an elite program but we have the worst assistant coaches in the comp

Scott Burns is a deadset fraud, our defence was poo last couple of years and now he has taken our forwards from ranked first to last over one pre-season

then their is VB, he was vanilla as a player and our midfield is vanilla as an entire unit

let’s not forget we couldn’t even bring in a top line assistant last year because we didn’t want to pay someone more than Burns who is a total fraud

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Stop pretending you know the first thing about our assistant coaches

I don’t and neither does anyone else

Fairs fair, I will say Nicks did a great job in developing a wave of youngsters to help take us to the next level. But they aren't there and the rebuild is only half finished.

Can you please provide me with the names of these ypungsters on the 'wave'.

I'd love to know after 4 years who are these players Nicks has developed and are playing at a consistent level.

1. Max
2. Ummmm.........

Can you please provide me with the names of these ypungsters on the 'wave'.

I'd love to know after 4 years who are these players Nicks has developed and are playing at a consistent level.

1. Max
2. Ummmm.........

shhhh im just trying to get the happy clappers to accept my argument.

Back