Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon the players are starting to think WTF!

The membership base will get very agitated very quickly if it isn’t happening already.
If I was a player I would be feeling pretty pissed off for being blamed for someone else’s (coaches) incompetence.

Reckon the players are starting to think WTF!

The membership base will get very agitated very quickly if it isn’t happening already.

It’s the same rhetoric Don Pyke was using before he fell on his sword.

The moment a coach starts blaming the players for not executing a flawed game plan is the time the player/coach relationship breaks down. It quickly becomes irretrievable.

I thought Burns was the backline coach. Didn't the new guy replace Rahily as forward coach?

no Burns moved to the forward line this year

I’ve been anti-Burns since his arrival, his record as an assistant is

west coast, hawks and collingwood were all terrible when he was at those clubs

he arrived in Adelaide as a senior assistant but didn’t coach the most important portfolio which is the midfield.

last year when Burns coached our defense, our structure was poor, this year he took over the number ranked forward line and they now look dysfunctional

Nicks will obviously be coaching in 2025 but the club needs to shake up the entire assistant coaching panel

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nicks brought in a mantra of “prioritise other” which was needed at the time of his appointment and after the camp. This mantra helped change the culture and selfish attitudes of senior players.

However it was time to move away from this mantra as it is now part of the club DNA and it was time to challenge again.

The “prioritise others” mantra forms the basis of leadership group selection criteria, this is why we have players like Hinge, Murphy, Smith and ROB in the leadership group, they show great care for others but don’t get it done on game day.

We have now systematically prioritised showing caee over results.

Our season is now following a disastrous off-season, poor recruiting and couldn’t attract a high quality assistant, this is not all in Nicks, it’s a club issue.

Our CEO comes from a previous environment where keeping the band together led to success, but the lead singer of that band was a guy named Clarkson.

Nicks won’t be sacked but he and the club need to change, evolve and make some tough decisions on the program

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We’ve got about the most uninspiring coaching panel you could assemble, except maybe Ben hart

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He never said consistent though which you wouldn't expect of youngsters anyway (you might think MM will be the exception but don't forget this is only early in his 2nd year just like when Rachele and Soligo started excellent when they transitioned into the midfield in their 2nd year and Berry had an exceptional 1st year) but there is a wave of youngsters who have shown they can or potentially play at the highest level.

Year 5 of Nicks tenure, plenty of draft capital spent and you dont think any one we've drafted should be putting up consistent AFL performances??

Nicks gameplan and player use/position isn't giving our talented youngsters the best opportunity to flourish. They are shoved into bit parts.

Apart from Max which youngster has developed their game to a consistent AFL standard??

Nicks is not an AFL coach.

We’ve got about the most uninspiring coaching panel you could assemble, except maybe Ben hart
Our coaching panel is at its best when we have the most diverse group of coaches from outside the Crows system.

Currently we have Nicks and Burns as the only coaches with any significant AFL experience outside of our system. And Nicks at the very least looks like a dud. VB the next most experienced with just 4 years outside the Crows

Hombsch has just 2 years of coaching experience prior to being elevated to our backline coach. He should be a development coach but we couldn't find anyone to replace Rahilly

Our development coaches are all ex Crows. Some of them, like McPherson, it seems more like we are developing the coaches rather than the players. Godden we tried to sack then brought him back because there was no one else.

It's not like there are zero coaches with connections to SA either, we just totally suck at building a coaching panel.

I felt the argument for extending Nicks was that it would allow him to be brave and not just play the more senior guys to make sure he can get his extension.

But he got the extension and there’s still no bravery in selection and no bravery tactically.

Rachele having 0 CBAs is nearly sackable in my book. Stop hiding this kid in the forward line.

I disagree. The club took that much heat and lost so much respect in the industry when we went for a full external review and then subsequently entered a full rebuild with a very rookie coach. The sceptic in me is that I believe the club lacks the gumption to to ride the pr storm of a potentially failed rebuild and we have to go back and hit development hard. I genuinely think right now, they are trying to buy time until someone works up the courage to front the media and say we screwed up.

He's leaned heavily into his core beliefs on what he thinks will make the team succeed and we've looked worse than ever. He's in the denial stage I would guess, he'll be telling himself he made the right moves, they just need more time to click.

So that means minimal personnel changes, stick to your guns, he's not being stubborn, he's doing the right thing, it'll work eventually.

I've always thought his type will become severely toxic when they're on the precipice. Interesting to see how it pans out.

I felt the argument for extending Nicks was that it would allow him to be brave and not just play the more senior guys to make sure he can get his extension.

But he got the extension and there’s still no bravery in selection and no bravery tactically.

Rachele having 0 CBAs is nearly sackable in my book. Stop hiding this kid in the forward line.

That Rachele had zero CBA’s is no reason to blame Nicks; Rash is terrible at centre square stoppages

The reason to blame Nicks is for the lack of development where Rash is terrible at centre square stoppages

I'd like to see Buckley on board - at least give him a go. He may not have a premiership, but he did take Collingwood within a goal of winning one. And he strikes me as the kind of coach who will take no s**t - the kind of person we need at this soft club.

We wouldn't employ anyone who doesn't align with our existing philosophies.

It’s the same rhetoric Don Pyke was using before he fell on his sword.

The moment a coach starts blaming the players for not executing a flawed game plan is the time the player/coach relationship breaks down. It quickly becomes irretrievable.
This is like a Don Pyke replay,
Back in the poorly performing senior players and don't give opportunities to the young guys coming through who deserve a go.
This is only ending the same way

Year 5 of Nicks tenure, plenty of draft capital spent and you dont think any one we've drafted should be putting up consistent AFL performances??

Nicks gameplan and player use/position isn't giving our talented youngsters the best opportunity to flourish. They are shoved into bit parts.

Apart from Max which youngster has developed their game to a consistent AFL standard??

Nicks is not an AFL coach.
Like I said, this is MM's 2nd year so his form might drop off like the other youngster or he might not. Berry looked like AFL standard in his 2nd year and was consistent for the entire year playing in the midfield, Rachele was consistent AFL standard for a majority of his 1st year playing in the forward line and faded late in the season which is expected for a 1st year draftee and then perform consistently when he transition into the midfield last year for 7 weeks and again faded, same as Soligo and Worrell is similar to MM and his form might also dip like MM.

Back