Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

No need to worry. Nicks knows why we have started poorly. :sick:
ADELAIDE coach Matthew Nicks has pinpointed a "mental issue" behind his club's winless start to the AFL season.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1095807...w-nicks-on-reasons-behind-crows-winless-start

Well, based on everything we’ve seen and heard from Nicks over his coaching tenure, he’s the last ******* person I’d trust to instil any sort of mental fortitude into this group. He’s as piss weak as they come

We lost players because of the culture. Our culture was completely shite between September 2017 and October 2020.

i don't know how you can say it with a straight face, someone was trying to spin this line to me a while back, kane mcgoodwin i think, and we must have had a bad culture for 20 years because as soon as player movement opened up we have consistently lost players that we wanted to keep regardless of the coach or ladder position and prior to that when we had a superstar midfield with mcleod and co we could never attract the players needed to balance the team.

and john reid would occasionally let it slip out that he didn't believe in paying those silly wages that the Victorians do for the forwards and surprise, surprise we never attracted any forwards! and when we did develop one he cheated to keep him, because his wage structure wouldn't allow him to fit him into the cap!

that philosophy did not change for a long time in my opinion and maybe still has not, his son justin went and handed out a whole heap of non market contracts to the experienced players in mid 2017 and all the with player movement more open opposition clubs now pay for potential not just performance which we didnt adjust to and they came and poached all our young players with much better contracts, it's as simple as that.

i don't know how you can say it with a straight face, someone was trying to spin this line to me a while back, kane mcgoodwin i think, and we must have had a bad culture for 20 years because as soon as player movement opened up we have consistently lost players that we wanted to keep regardless of the coach or ladder position and prior to that when we had a superstar midfield with mcleod and co we could never attract the players needed to balance the team.

and john reid would occasionally let it slip out that he didn't believe in paying those silly wages that the Victorians do for the forwards and surprise, surprise we never attracted any forwards! and when we did develop one he cheated to keep him, because his wage structure wouldn't allow him to fit him into the cap!

that philosophy did not change for a long time in my opinion and maybe still has not, his son justin went and handed out a whole heap of non market contracts to the experienced players in mid 2017 and all the with player movement more open opposition clubs now pay for potential not just performance which we didnt adjust to and they came and poached all our young players with much better contracts, it's as simple as that.

It’s not just that we didn’t want to pay them, we didn’t want to pay them because we thought losing them was no big deal.

We would just replace them. Good players grow on trees

In the end we had a cancerous culture but it was fed and ignored for a very long time.

The fact we signed up guys like Rachele and Soligo to long term deals early would probably be a sign we've changed/are changing our wage structure. Even getting guys like Dawson and Rankine in as 23-25 year olds as well. They're in/starting their prime earning years and wouldn't be taking a pay cut to come home.

You just can't expect a player to put in 200 games before you give them a big deal anymore, not with free agency and ever increasing player movement. That s**t may have worked in 1995, but not in today's sports environment.

It’s not just that we didn’t want to pay them, we didn’t want to pay them because we thought losing them was no big deal.

yes that is probably true otherwise the penny would have dropped long ago to change things because it's not like it is rocket science to work out what is happening. frustrating as a supporter tho!

Our culture had F all to do with it. Was the culture bad? Probably, it sure wasn’t great

We are going to have to disagree. I think a clubs culture is a massive part of player retention.

The fact we are the only team that made a grand final that had a mass exodus of greedy contracted players wanting to leave suggests it was about a lot more than money.

How many times have you seen a player stage a photo shoot of him throwing out his ex teams gear? How many players have written books where the main selling point is a chapter about how F*cked our culture was? How many players leak stories to the media all year before leaving that destabilize the club? How many players turn their back on a club after signing a 3 year deal and then 12 months later quit with their manager publicly stating "The reasons Mitch left the Crows was because of the camp and the Adelaide football department and that's it". Add in an external review, the firing of Burton and Campo, and the employment of Daniel Jackson as the head of culture. Not to mention all the noise around those idiots at collective minds.

All of this was just a coincidence when we had a mass exodus of half of our grand final team because players are greedy?

And the cherry on top - is that your argument is the same as Mark Riccuito. It's the easy way to pacify our fanbase and its the easy way out. Ohhh these greedy players are just after more money.

How many times have you seen a player stage a photo shoot of him throwing out his ex teams gear? How many players have written books where the main selling point is a chapter about how F*cked our culture was? How many players leak stories to the media all year before leaving that destabilize the club? How many players turn their back on a club after signing a 3 year deal and then 12 months later quit with their manager publicly stating "The reasons Mitch left the Crows was because of the camp and the Adelaide football department and that's it". Add in an external review, the firing of Burton and Campo, and the employment of Daniel Jackson as the head of culture. Not to mention all the noise around those idiots at collective minds.

All of this was just a coincidence when we had a mass exodus of half of our grand final team because players are greedy?

And the cherry on top - is that your argument is the same as Mark Riccuito. It's the easy way to pacify our fanbase and its the easy way out. Ohhh these greedy players are just after more money.

We call those people the 'Happy Clappers'

Its mind boggling some genuinely believe there was nothing wrong. lol.

We are going to have to disagree. I think a clubs culture is a massive part of player retention.

The fact we are the only team that made a grand final that had a mass exodus of greedy contracted players wanting to leave suggests it was about a lot more than money.

From what I have understood, Lever had been planning to leave at the end of that contract a long way out and Melbourne had him in the bank probably before we even started that season. As for McGovern he is a Merc. He was always going to walk for more money. Im just surprised he treated the fans with some respect by not pretending to leave for homesickness but land at a club over 1000km away. Cameron is the only one im aware of that didn't leave for money.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yes that is probably true otherwise the penny would have dropped long ago to change things because it's not like it is rocket science to work out what is happening. frustrating as a supporter tho!

Cameron & McGovern were contracted; we chose to let them go, we didn’t have to

Even look at Roo’s public spat with Greenwood; the arrogance and certainty with which we looked on list management

From what I have understood, Lever had been planning to leave at the end of that contract a long way out and Melbourne had him in the bank probably before we even started that season. As for McGovern he is a Merc. He was always going to walk for more money. Im just surprised he treated the fans with some respect by not pretending to leave for homesickness but land at a club over 1000km away. Cameron is the only one im aware of that didn't leave for money.

Why did McGovern refuse the huge offer from West Coast and sign a 3 year deal with us in August of 2017 if he was such a mercenary?

Exactly one year later he demands a trade to out of Adelaide. In our CEO's own words "“He’s come to us this week and requested a trade, and that’s something that we’re open-minded to. His primary rationale fits a broad term of ‘fit’, just saying he doesn’t think it’s the place for him to be the best that he can be, whether it’s a personal or a football fit.

We accept his rationale, albeit we have told him that, and he completely understands, that he’s got two years left on a contract."

Isn't a little too much of a coincidence that his change into a money hungry mercenary just so happened to occur when all that other s**t was going on?

With time, you can get a player fit and drilled enough to be a critical cog in a successful machine. Talent is valueless. Just need all the cogs to earn enough continuity credits.

I think there's a connection

We revere our older players. When we were going well and making finals 2015-2016-2017 we were signing up our senior players on big contracts.

This created cap pressure and meant we weren't able to pay proper dollars for our younger players on the rise.

This created resentment. We lost a few players.

The camp happened too but Lever & Cameron had already gone by this stage, and McGovern tried to go to Carlton - all pre-camp.

We were left with angry younger players and bloated contracts for older guys who would never reach those heights again.

This club is broken (again). Just pay him out and be done with it.

A complete clean-out is needed (again). Him, the assistants, Kelly, Silvers, Olsen and Ogilvie can all pack their bags.

Back