Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nicks equals Graham Cornes in total matches coached this weeks. He has 13 fewer wins in that time.

2 more games and he will equal Pyke.

And he needs to go 12-8 for the rest of the season to overtake Robert Shaw's winning percentage by the end of the year (I was off by one with my previous calculation in the thread)

Last edited:

Can you please provide me with the names of these ypungsters on the 'wave'.

I'd love to know after 4 years who are these players Nicks has developed and are playing at a consistent level.

1. Max
2. Ummmm.........
He never said consistent though which you wouldn't expect of youngsters anyway (you might think MM will be the exception but don't forget this is only early in his 2nd year just like when Rachele and Soligo started excellent when they transitioned into the midfield in their 2nd year and Berry had an exceptional 1st year) but there is a wave of youngsters who have shown they can or potentially play at the highest level.

I expect the end of next year is when he'll get turfed out.
Surely if he wins 3-4 games for the year he will be sacked. What club wouldn't sack a 5th year coach with that record? Where did Ratten finish at st kilda final year? Wasn't it 10th?

We are likely to be 0-5 and the noise will only get louder.

I can't fathom why you would be compelled to make a decision now after one round.

I’ve explained this multiple times

You make the decision before it’s gets to 0-5 because it would be harder to make the call then

They weren’t confused or waiting on whether to sign him, they were choosing the best moment to announce it and saw the prospect of 0-5 on the horizon

They couldn’t announce the signing at 0-5 so they had to get in quick before it got too bad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You make the decision before it’s gets to 0-5 because it would be harder to make the call then

They weren’t confused or waiting on whether to sign him, they were choosing the best moment to announce it and saw the prospect of 0-5 on the horizon

They couldn’t announce the signing at 0-5 so they had to get in quick before it got too bad

So why did they want to sign him at all, Sandy?

If they foresaw 0-5 why wouldn't they want someone else for the boys club who could both be a bro AND win?

Surely if he wins 3-4 games for the year he will be sacked. What club wouldn't sack a 5th year coach with that record? Where did the saints coach finish that got sacked for Ross? Wasn't it 10th?
He will revert back to his last year's game plan before than but if the players don't buy back in then sure there's a chance as they might think he is no longer the senior coach to take the list forward just like what happened to Sanderson. Very unlikely as the players seem to still like him.

This assumes the club foresaw how bad we were going to be to start the season

I reckon there’s been a bit more bath water-drinking than you suggest

If they foresaw 0-5 why wouldn't they want someone else for the boys club who could both be a bro AND win?
Because Nicks sold them his new more defense game plan is needed to make Finals and the side will need time to adjust, they also thought we were a big chance to beat Geelong, Fremantle and GCS (particularly Geelong and Fremantle) who all missed out on Finals in the first 3 rounds.

He will revert back to his last year's game plan before than but if the players don't buy back in then sure there's a chance as they might think he is no longer the senior coach to take the list forward just like what happened to Sanderson. Very unlikely as the players seem to still like him.

It's not being reflected on field imo, which is a massive red flag. All hot air on how much they love him.

It's not being reflected on field imo, which is a massive red flag. All hot air on how much they love him.
If you sat down with the whole list i think you would find that the seniors are probably the only ones that tolerate him and thats being generous. Just a guess but the way they are playing communicates what's going on.

The players look bad when they are trying to play more defense. When they revert back to attacking then they resemble last year like 1.5 quarters against GCS, 2nd quarter against Geelong and 1st quarter last night. No doubt the last 2 games we wasted a lot of opportunities inside 50 when we were on top and attacked with Walker not being remotely effective as last year.

I'd like to see Buckley on board - at least give him a go. He may not have a premiership, but he did take Collingwood within a goal of winning one. And he strikes me as the kind of coach who will take no s**t - the kind of person we need at this soft club.

He’d have learnt plenty in his time away and in reflection. He would be a better coach 2nd time round

I don’t think they should have wanted to; but if you accept that they did (for right or wrong) then it makes perfect sense

It doesn’t make it right, but there is a coherent logic

Back