Mature Age Recruits

Remove this Banner Ad

I've just come here to be proactive and say... No no no no no no no no.

"Daniel Menzel has been delisted by Geelong"

.... No

I think there could be a place for Menzel with us. At Geelong, he needed to be defensive because they had no one else. With us and Butler, Rioli, George and Higgins, he can be used as a purely offensive forwars which is is very good at.

At his best, Menzel is a gun. Would back him in with our forward line to kick 30+ minimum. Probably more like 40.

I think there could be a place for Menzel with us. At Geelong, he needed to be defensive because they had no one else. With us and Butler, Rioli, George and Higgins, he can be used as a purely offensive forwars which is is very good at.

At his best, Menzel is a gun. Would back him in with our forward line to kick 30+ minimum. Probably more like 40.

If we're hell bent on finding another option to run through the middle then the most obvious thing to do would be to sign Menzel and have him play Caddy's role with Caddy then moving to the midfield on a near full time position. Caddy is the least defensive of our current forwards so Menzel wouldn't look completely out of place if it were a direct swap and at his best Menzel can replicate the marking ability Caddy showed this season, although with Lynch coming in that won't be as important come next season.

Personally this is far better option than potentially picking on needs with our first pick and getting an inside mid who may or may not be able to come in next season and have an impact. Which if it turns out that we do end up taking an inside mid at our first pick because we deem him to be best available then it just further enhances our depth.

Forwards option: Jack, Lynch, Menzel, Butler, Castagna, Rioli, Martin, Caddy, Higgins, Edwards.
Back ups: Bolton, Baker, Moore, Townsend, Balta, Coleman Jones.

Midfield options: Martin, Cotchin, Lambert, Graham, Prestia, Caddy, Edwards, Higgins, Rioli, McIntosh.
Back ups: Ellis, Grigg, draftees.

Defence options: Rance, Astbury, Grimes, Broad, Short, Vlastuin,
Back ups: Houli, Naish, Garthwaite, Miller, Markof, Menadue

As far as depth go, you now potentially have Grigg, Houli and Ellis as your first 3 emergencies and thats without knowing who we're going to draft and how much the guys on the fringes of the team are going to improve.

No we're looking for upgrades on those guys. We have young depth pushing up already.
I’m confident this guy is a better player than Stengle and he just won himself a decent contract at Adelaide, Shultz is only 20 he would b worth a look and the way the game is played these days around pressure and intensity I think he would make the grade

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree Grockadoc...He is a class act and good in the air. We've got others to tackle. I don't get it. Take him.

He’s a mark and kick forward nothing else , caddy plays that role when forward , would be a nonsense to play 2 of in the modern game . Caddy at least is high on pressure acts , Menzel doesnt believe in it . It’s a no from me , hope he finds a spot somewhere though , can play

I've just come here to be proactive and say... No no no no no no no no.

"Daniel Menzel has been delisted by Geelong"

.... No

No from me as well, but I think comparing Geelong to Richmond here demonstrates how long we've spent in the wilderness. We're still not used to delisting good players.

Lloyd and Miles played a combined 8 games for 2018. Menzel and Murdoch played a combined 29... Not sure there are many Geelong supporters looking for VFL players to plug those holes.

We're not Gold Coast. We're not going to be improved by a state league player just because they have spent 5 years in the gym. They want to be as good as Lambert or Tim Kelly, and those players are pretty rare.

We have a number of players on our list who are no longer skinny kids, were drafted because they have AFL level attributes and haven't been seriously tested at AFL level. We need to find out which will improve us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back