Max walker R I P

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think I'm alone in saying that, while he was fantastic to listen to as a host and commentator on 9, his greatest contribution to our culture came via words he never even said - Billy Birmingham said them for him.

Notable highlights:

Richie: Max!! You're not allowed here.
Max: Well Richie, I've got this big motherf***er of a cricket bat that says I am.

Richie: He's yelling "put me back on the team ya bastard."
Mrs Richie: Oh Richie, Please!
Richie: Sorry love. Anyway, he's swingin this huge bloody cricket bat around saying "gimme me f***en job back or I'll take ya f***en head orf. "
Mrs Richie: gee that's not very nice.

Richie: Security, if max walker comes within 10 feet of this f***en door shoot him.
(Some time later)
Security: *puffing* I'm sorry Mr Benaud, I turned me back for a second and bang, he was past me like a flash. I called for him to stop, then me bloody gun jammed......

The literal attempt to shoot him had me in stitches.
The ken Sutcliffe debacle

The ken Sutcliffe debacle

For me, 'Wired World of Sports II' is the absolute funniest 12th Man album, but probably also the most overlooked, because it doesn't involve any cricket commentary.

We shall all play a sombre tune on our Maxophones in tribute.

For me, 'Wired World of Sports II' is the absolute funniest 12th Man album, but probably also the most overlooked, because it doesn't involve any cricket commentary.

Agree 100 per cent. The sheer underhandedness of his character and the lies he was willing to tell to get away with his shenanigans was amazingly funny.

The forgettable moments, the tight shorts controversy, the sports update with Ian Maurice, his story about why he missed his flight etc. Priceless.

Left right left right and rolled his right arm over. Greg Matthews took a splendid catch. Funny that he wasn't even in the touring squad

Absolute Aussie Legend.
Don't know a lot about his football career, but he was a great cricketer coming on after Lillee and Thompson, and wonderful author.
But as a person, his spirit, generosity and humour elevates him above everyone else I've met. I was lucky enough to have met him at a local cricket function and he was brilliant.

RIP Maxy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Way back in the day Max's Mum (and her second husband I think, not Max Snr) was a semi regular visitor to the caravan park my olds were the managers of. My folks mentioned to her that me and my brother loved his books and were big fans of his in general (this was back when he had a massive public profile)

The very next time she visited she brought a couple of tiny cricket bats personally whittled and signed by big Maxy.

It meant a lot and showed what a top bloke he was to take time out to do that and add a personal touch for a couple of kids he'd never met and probably never would.

Just a legendary bloke.

Way back in the day Max's Mum (and her second husband I think, not Max Snr) was a semi regular visitor to the caravan park my olds were the managers of. My folks mentioned to her that me and my brother loved his books and were big fans of his in general (this was back when he had a massive public profile)

The very next time she visited she brought a couple of tiny cricket bats personally whittled and signed by big Maxy.

It meant a lot and showed what a top bloke he was to take time out to do that and add a personal touch for a couple of kids he'd never met and probably never would.

Just a legendary bloke.

some 'great' people just like doing things for others without even knowing how much pleasure they give to others. It is something we all need to
remember.

Used to imitate his bowling action when I was a kid.
RIP

So you say, but I don't believe you- it wasn't possible!

My wife, who thinks cricket is an insect, met him at a cafe she was cleaning. She said he was the most engaging and polite man. I don't doubt that for a moment. RIP Max.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back