Maynard cleared by tribunal for Brayshaw collision

What should happen with Maynard?

• 1-2 match suspension for careless, med-high impact, high contact

Votes: 247 27.9%
  • 3-4 match suspension for intentional, med-high impact, high contact

Votes: 203 23.0%
  • 5+ match suspension, intentional or careless with severe impact, straight to tribunal

Votes: 68 7.7%
  • Charges downgraded to a fine

Votes: 52 5.9%
  • No charge/no penalty

Votes: 314 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

THE AFL has opted against appealing the Tribunal's decision in the Brayden Maynard case, meaning the Collingwood defender is in the clear to play in the Magpies' preliminary final.

The AFL, having brought the charge against Maynard, said on Wednesday that it would not challenge the Tribunal's ruling, but would comment further later in the day.

"The AFL has confirmed that after careful consideration and review of the Tribunal's decision and reasons following last night's hearing into the incident involving Collingwood's Brayden Maynard and Melbourne's Angus Brayshaw, the AFL has decided not to appeal the Tribunal's decision," a statement read.

"Per the Tribunal Guidelines the AFL had to make this decision by 12:00pm AEST today.

"The AFL will release a further statement later today."
Finally some sanity 👍

Yep, they appealed the tribunal only giving Green 3 weeks for umpire contact
And the Houli 2 week ban. And the Curnows' umpire contact cases. There's been a few.

I believe it was an accident but careless nonetheless.

Poor tackles are these days a suspension. Poor spoils and poor shepards have always been a suspension. But for some reason a poor smother cannot be a suspension. If your smothering technique involves a player getting knocked out cold it should not be a legitimate attempt.

It doesn’t make sense. But the tribunal never has made sense which is what causes all of this debate.
After reading the evidence and using my own eyes, I don’t think he should be suspended but you raise good points.

I don’t really know what more Maynard could do. I actually believe him when he says “oh sh*t” than braces. Not enough time to put his arms out.
Most players have better balance and don’t lean into Maynard’s direction.
There is no way a Gaz Jnr, Burgoyne, Pendlebury or a Josh Kelly for example aren’t avoiding contact here.
Not everyone is silky like them I know but you don’t expect a player to lean into you.
Is it bad technique or just freak occurrence?

After reading the evidence and using my own eyes, I don’t think he should be suspended but you raise good points.

I don’t really know what more Maynard could do. I actually believe him when he says “oh sh*t” than braces. Not enough time to put his arms out.
Most players have better balance and don’t lean into Maynard’s direction.
There is no way a Gaz Jnr, Burgoyne, Pendlebury or a Josh Kelly for example aren’t avoiding contact here.
Not everyone is silky like them I know but you don’t expect a player to lean into you.
Is it bad technique or just freak occurrence?
Okay - so is the deal now that if you leave your feet you somehow have opened up your duty of care? Because I have a box, nay plantation of worms we should talk about.

On SM-F936B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So they AFL can appeal, against their own tribunal, and have done in the past.

Let's go the hypocrisy route.

That's great for optics isn't it.:drunk:
I don't think they will simply because I am not so sure there is a real clear grounds for it, I don't think it was really out of line with other decisions this year although probably nothing that is very similar to it either. There were a lot of unknowns. I wouldn't be surprized if next year there are some guidelines bought in to advide it happens again and you are gone inda of things and maybe thats what this was setting up seeing where things were at.

I believe it was an accident but careless nonetheless.

Poor tackles are these days a suspension. Poor spoils and poor shepards have always been a suspension. But for some reason a poor smother cannot be a suspension. If your smothering technique involves a player getting knocked out cold it should not be a legitimate attempt.

It doesn’t make sense. But the tribunal never has made sense which is what causes all of this debate.
But isn't there a difference there in that when you go to shepherd and tackle, contact is expected and actively induced, and then if you get your technique wrong, it's on you?
You might say Maynard had to know there would be contact, but his instinct and action were geared to smothering the football.
Who hasn't lunged at a smother?
I didn't see this stuff with Brayshaw supposedly deviating from his path and he obviously bears no blame.
There's one bloke potentially deviating minimally, another bloke in mid-air with (imo) very little time to take other action, it's unfortunate, but the reality is that things like that do happen in football, and it doesn't have to mean the 'transgressor' is a thug who went looking for contact.

These look very hollow words now in light of Brayshaw copping a late bump that knocked him out cold well after disposing of the ball:

The AFL's competition committee has released their incoming rule changes for the 2022 season.

With more concussion research coming to light, the AFL will modify guidelines around head-high bumps and all head-high contact to crackdown on players who are late to a contest, regardless of their intent to contest the ball.

General manager of football Brad Scott said there would likely be interpretation changes for umpires and match review personnel, particularly when related to head-high contact between players.

"Our intention was to show that what was acceptable eight-plus years ago is not acceptable in 2022 and beyond," he said.

"It's fair to say there was unanimous agreement from the committee that attitudes, particularly as it results to concussive-type head trauma, have changed.

"The clear message we're giving to clubs and players is that if you contest the ball and you're late and you hit the opposition player in the head with a bump, you're going to be in trouble."

The changes to interpretation extend on the 'contesting the ball' exemption penned ahead of the 2021 season.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fed39f4d3-057f-42e7-b817-8f627d5b3d9c
The Cats' Gary Rohan is seen to by trainers after suffering a concussion. (AAP)
Following the new understanding, players will be penalised for all instances of late high contact, regardless of whether they were contesting the ball.

"In most instances there is a player who is late in that contest, and if you're late and hit a player in the head you're going to be in trouble," Scott added.

I think no suspension is probably the fair result

Maynard was playing the ball (aggressively) much in the same way Cotchin was playing the ball when he took out Dylan Sheil a few years ago

Did Maynard to everything in his power to protect Brayshaw? No - Maynard could have chosen not to contest the ball - but if we are saying players have sacrifice contesting the ball to avoid contact then we will have a fundamentally very different game to AFL as it is currently played

These look very hollow words now in light of Brayshaw copping a late bump that knocked him out cold well after disposing of the ball:

The AFL's competition committee has released their incoming rule changes for the 2022 season.

With more concussion research coming to light, the AFL will modify guidelines around head-high bumps and all head-high contact to crackdown on players who are late to a contest, regardless of their intent to contest the ball.

General manager of football Brad Scott said there would likely be interpretation changes for umpires and match review personnel, particularly when related to head-high contact between players.

"Our intention was to show that what was acceptable eight-plus years ago is not acceptable in 2022 and beyond," he said.

"It's fair to say there was unanimous agreement from the committee that attitudes, particularly as it results to concussive-type head trauma, have changed.

"The clear message we're giving to clubs and players is that if you contest the ball and you're late and you hit the opposition player in the head with a bump, you're going to be in trouble."

The changes to interpretation extend on the 'contesting the ball' exemption penned ahead of the 2021 season.

Following the new understanding, players will be penalised for all instances of late high contact, regardless of whether they were contesting the ball.

"In most instances there is a player who is late in that contest, and if you're late and hit a player in the head you're going to be in trouble," Scott added.

Forgot to send the memo to the Tribunal.

Kind of like last year when they forgot to actually talk about Cripps and what he did and why it was against the rules.

Oops.

The people gunning for his head clearly didn't recognise the slippery slope, PURELY because they hate Collingwood and are scared shitless about us winning.
Rubbish. People just want consistency, and there is significant precedent of the head being sacrosanct this entire season. It’s been the messaging from AFL House all year and the suspensions have been consistent with that. Rightly so too, given the seriousness of concussion and the corresponding **** storm that will descend on the AFL if they don’t treat the situation appropriately (it may already be too late).

Collingwood would’ve won the flag without Maynard anyway this year, and rightly so - They’ve been the best team all season. I’ll applaud them for it, and will continue to enjoy watching their exciting brand of footy for their last two matches.

But Maynard shouldn’t be playing. That he will be free to play is such an incredibly poor reflection on how seriously the AFL actually takes brain injuries and their long term effects when push comes to shove. It’s also an indictment on the sway big Victorian clubs like Collingwood have and the influence of the media on AFL procedure.

This isn’t a witch hunt. People just want consistency, and to not have exceptions made for the same clubs. Despite concussion being the biggest story of the 2023 season and the corresponding hard line taken by the league, we all saw this result coming - Which is pretty shameful when you think about it.

Last edited:

Couldn’t be more clear.

In this case the outcome didn’t suit though, so they bent their own rules. Like they always do.

Sham comp.

Back