News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

hey, have you guys been screwed by the fixture this year. or is this just us. its been really annoying freo fans this year for 2 reasons. players don't have optimum preparation and thus don't always perform as well and secondly poor fixture and poor turn arounds can contribute to injury list.

hey, have you guys been screwed by the fixture this year. or is this just us. its been really annoying freo fans this year for 2 reasons. players don't have optimum preparation and thus don't always perform as well and secondly poor fixture and poor turn arounds can contribute to injury list.
its round 10 and we will have played 1 team in the bottom 7 after finishing last

and we had a 6 day turn from travelling to the gold coast to play essendon off a 10 day break - yeo twinged his groin in this game...

its a flipping joke, i hope the don rattles the cage for change next year

its round 10 and we will have played 1 team in the bottom 7 after finishing last

and we had a 6 day turn from travelling to the gold coast to play essendon off a 10 day break - yeo twinged his groin in this game...

its a hecking joke, i hope the don rattles the cage for change next year

He might have already rattled it before the fixtures were announced to finish this season. Who we play can't be changed but when we play can. Got a good break either side of a Tassie trip which is pleasing.

its a hecking joke, i hope the don rattles the cage for change next year
Also played collingwood away with them off a 9 day break, funny how it always seems to work out in the big victorian teams favour

This is quite frankly embarrassing s**t
View attachment 1989370View attachment 1989371
It's interesting. I've always thought what distinguished Kennedy from his oft compared peers, Jack Riewoldt and Tom Hawkins, is that his peak was higher than both. And I think he's the only one out of those three that surpassed Buddy for a time when both were in their prime.
So I like the 'peak' chat and I don't think Curnow is an unfair comparison, I think it's in the same ballpark which is what the article is contending with. But I do think 2015-17 JK has Curnow covered over a similar period.

H2H

Kennedy (2015-17)

Games: 25
GL:BH: (80:55) 135 Scoring shots.
Bags (5+): 4
Goal Avg: 3.2
NB: Inaccuracy cost him multiple bags, the most inaccurate of his dominant seasons.

Games: 23
GL:BH: (82:37) 119 Scoring shots.
Bags (5+): 8
Goal Avg: 3.57

NB: Highest Goals, most bags - very efficient.

Games: 19
GL:BH: (69:39) 108 Scoring shots.
Bags (5+): 6
Goal Avg: 3.63

NB: Pound for Pound Kennedy's best season. Who knows what he would have kicked if not for missing 6 games in the middle. Maintain that average and he's kicking 90+.

Curnow (2022-24)

Games: 22
GL:BH: (64:42) 106 Scoring shots.
Bags (5+): 5
Goal Avg: 2.91

NB: I think this is actually his best season, more 3s and 4s more consistent, less outliers pumping up the tally.

Games: 26
GL:BH: (81:44) 125 Scoring shots.
Goal Avg: 3.12

NB: Best return in goals, goal average and scoring shots - the qualifier being he kicked 19.6 again West Coast. Low 5+ tally considering high number of goals.

2024 (Incomplete)
Games: 9
GL:BH: (27:16) 43 Scoring shots.
Bags (5+): 0

NB: A mixed bag so far, trending down currently and without really beating up on a defence, but with a higher Goal Avg and consistent - time will tell.

Verdict?

Of course they are different players in other ways. I think Curnow is a better contested mark and his pack marking is imo superior to Kennedy's, Kennedy is a better lead. Conversely, Kennedy's forward pressure was far superior. Overall their marking and disposal stats are fairly similar.

Ultimately I think JK's peaks were at a level higher - more scoring shots, higher averages, more goals. He was a ruthless scoring machine, particularly after straightening up his kicking.

What really kills Curnow imo is what gets him into this discussion - the 19 goals against the WAFL Eagles in 2023 - that's a quarter of his season tally. All good forwards feast on bad teams but they aren't literally amateurs and 24% is too much an outlier.

The one thing Curnow has on Kennedy is time, so it will be an interesting discussion in a few years.

Apparently there is a newspaper article floating around but first crack reporting that Victorian clubs don’t believe the wa clubs are disadvantaged with travel as they get 12 business class seats on the plane… (let alone there only is 8 business class seats on the 737 they fly.) whilst vic clubs don’t get those advantages ……. Weird hill to argue on

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Surely time for the nonVic clubs to start getting together to tell the vAFL ‘we’re as mad as hell and we ain’t gonna take it anymore’?

So long as we act individually things won’t change. (And I’m talking more than just the fixture.)

It's interesting. I've always thought what distinguished Kennedy from his oft compared peers, Jack Riewoldt and Tom Hawkins, is that his peak was higher than both. And I think he's the only one out of those three that surpassed Buddy for a time when both were in their prime.
So I like the 'peak' chat and I don't think Curnow is an unfair comparison, I think it's in the same ballpark which is what the article is contending with. But I do think 2015-17 JK has Curnow covered over a similar period.

H2H

Kennedy (2015-17)

Games: 25
GL:BH: (80:55) 135 Scoring shots.
Bags (5+): 4
NB: Inaccuracy cost him multiple bags, the most inaccurate of his dominant seasons.

Games: 23
GL:BH: (82:37) 119 Scoring shots.
Bags (5+): 8
Goal Avg: 3.57

NB: Highest Goals, most bags - very efficient.

Games: 19
GL:BH: (69:39) 108 Scoring shots.
Bags (5+): 6
Goal Avg: 3.63

NB: Pound for Pound Kennedy's best season. Who knows what he would have kicked if not for missing 6 games in the middle. Maintain that average and he's kicking 90+.

Curnow (2022-24)

Games: 22
GL:BH: (64:42) 106 Scoring shots.
Goal Avg: 2.91

NB: I think this is actually his best season, more 3s and 4s more consistent, less outliers pumping up the tally.

Games: 26
GL:BH: (81:44) 125 Scoring shots.
Goal Avg: 3.12

NB: Best return in goals, goal average and scoring shots - the qualifier being he kicked 19.6 again West Coast. Low 5+ tally considering high number of goals.

2024 (Incomplete)
Games: 9
GL:BH: (27:16) 43 Scoring shots.
Bags (5+): 0

NB: A mixed bag so far, trending down currently and without really beating up on a defence, but with a higher Goal Avg and consistent - time will tell.

Verdict?

Of course they are different players in other ways. I think Curnow is a better contested mark and his pack marking is imo superior to Kennedy's, Kennedy is a better lead. Conversely, Kennedy's forward pressure was far superior. Overall their marking and disposal stats are fairly similar.

Ultimately I think JK's peaks were at a level higher - more scoring shots, higher averages, more goals. He was a ruthless scoring machine, particularly after straightening up his kicking.

What really kills Curnow imo is what gets him into this discussion - the 19 goals against the WAFL Eagles in 2023 - that's a quarter of his season tally. All good forwards feast on bad teams but they aren't literally amateurs and 24% is too much an outlier.

The one thing Curnow has on Kennedy is time, so it will be an interesting discussion in a few years.
Agree. Long term Curnow may or may not be be a better player but JK’s peak is currently better than curnowss. Bery vic or carlton bis article that one.

Also something not related but as you brought up contested marking, I was looking at the contested marking stats today and I was very surprised Jack Darling is sitting 12th on the all time list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After Franklin, who imo is a GOAT contender, Kennedy really was the best of the players to start post-2000. Unfortunately injuries crueled the latter part of his career so the highs didn't last as long.

Seasons with a 3+ goal average:

Total: (0) (# Consecutive)
- Tom Hawkins (0)

Total: 1
  • J Riewoldt (1)
  • Jeremy Cameron (1)

Total: 2
  • Taylor Walker (1)
  • Charlie Curnow (2)
  • Tom Lynch (1)

Total: 3
- Matthew Pavlich (2) (Just qualifies '2000)

Total: 4
- nil

Total: 5
Josh Kennedy (5) (nearly 6)

Total: 10!
Lance Franklin (6)

And finally because Pavlich barely counts, he's criminally underrated and I loved him as a kid - The Fev (5), (5).

And for something completely random

Sign him up as a Cat B rookie and play him in the R24 game against Geelong

Play him in D50 and tell him it’s in the rules to punch anyone who kicks a goal

Sign him up as a Cat B rookie and play him in the R24 game against Geelong

Play him in D50 and tell him it’s in the rules to punch anyone who kicks a goal
Body shots only, those don't count.

After Franklin, who imo is a GOAT contender, Kennedy really was the best of the players to start post-2000. Unfortunately injuries crueled the latter part of his career so the highs didn't last as long.

Seasons with a 3+ goal average:

Total: (0) (# Consecutive)
- Tom Hawkins (0)

Total: 1
  • J Riewoldt (1)
  • Jeremy Cameron (1)

Total: 2
  • Taylor Walker (1)
  • Charlie Curnow (2)
  • Tom Lynch (1)

Total: 3
- Matthew Pavlich (2) (Just qualifies '2000)

Total: 4
- nil

Total: 5
Josh Kennedy (5) (nearly 6)

Total: 10!
Lance Franklin (6)

And finally because Pavlich barely counts, he's criminally underrated and I loved him as a kid - The Fev (5), (5).
Love to shit on Pav but bloke spent years in defence and wing.

Apparently there is a newspaper article floating around but first crack reporting that Victorian clubs don’t believe the wa clubs are disadvantaged with travel as they get 12 business class seats on the plane… (let alone there only is 8 business class seats on the 737 they fly.) whilst vic clubs don’t get those advantages ……. Weird hill to argue on

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
It was on the Midweek Tackle.

At least the 3 hosts said it was ridiculous argument.

Mark Stone’s segment in 6PR this week

Explains how the pressure gauge is calculated and talks about what Collingwood did well (and we failed to adjust to) in their centre clearance dominance

Good listen as usual

Remove this Banner Ad

Back