News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Bunno Cartons mate

DKTLqZIUMAA5e8C.jpg:large
Bunbury Favelas

With the duplication of Bussell Highway nearing completion its a quick 30 minute odd drive to Bunbury from Busselton. Hands Oval would get the upgrade you'd think??
I think space would be a significant issue, yeah? As above, I haven't been in that part of the world in nearly a decade but I've seen recent pictures and you'd have to fit grandstands and public transport somewhere.

Joondalup is surely the best place for a third WA team, do up Arena Joondalup to be a 20k seat stadium to host most of their games, Perth could do with a good secondary oval stadium too for AFLW, WAFL, hopefully a gather round.
What ? Joondalup is 30mins from optus stadium.

South West would be a great spot for a third team. Build a stadium to hold 35 -40k and run it like Geelong does. If you get a good deal on the stadium you can maximise profits through the gate.

Not true.
1. Yes, back to back games
2. No matches in Tas
3. Even up breaks where the travel is disproportionate
4. Early games so a same day flight
5. At least 3(?) games on the G - incl Captain’s Run
6. No fixturing where e.g. where Bris rarely played us in Perth.

That’s just off the top of my head. Other options?

Then there’s a myriad of other issues like nonWA players reluctant to come to WA; all commentators covering games to be at the ground; AFL mandate all ‘national’ footy shows have equal representation from each team; and, if mid season trade eventuates it’ll give another advantage to Vic clubs. Etc etc

If we are to reduce the disadvantage that nonVic sides (esp WA) suffer then we need to keep banging on about this.
PS: I think is really helpful to widely use the term ‘vAFL’. Get it to the ears of the AFL.

Surely you just do a Northern suburbs team, and make the 3 WA teams do the odd home game down south rather than basing a whole team down there. We dont have an actual Perth team.
Freo already has a relation ship with Peel that covers the area just south of Perth

Surely you just do a Northern suburbs team
Wouldn't work - the people from northern Perth are already wedded to one of the existing teams, they're not going to jump ship just because someone plonks the "Wanneroo Wanderers" on their doorstep - statistically a third of them were born in England anyway, so don't even care, and the rest would mostly see themselves as "from Perth" more than "from somewhere north of like, Karrinyup, maybe".

Bunburry/Busselton on the other hand have their own separate identities, and while the people there are likewise still going to have their existing team affiliations, they're much less likely to already be members and conversely much more likely to take out a new membership of a local team because being two to two and a half hours closer is way more convenient than being about 30 minutes closer to where you live.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Id rather have the rotating bye with 19 teams than have a 3rd WA team. I think it would flop dramatically . West Aussies are too attached to WC or freo .
They only way i see it working is of three was an existing WAFL team with a big following that became the 20th franchise like Port Adelaide or Redcliffe Dolphins in the NRL . But they're isnt .

imagine having to compete with 2 teams instead of just 6160 for the very small pool of WA players that want to 'come home'.
its a no from me

Id rather have the rotating bye with 19 teams than have a 3rd WA team. I think it would flop dramatically . West Aussies are too attached to WC or freo .
They only way i see it working is of three was an existing WAFL team with a big following that became the 20th franchise like Port Adelaide or Redcliffe Dolphins in the NRL . But they're isnt .
The same was said when Freo came in. Their following is certainly bigger than East and South Fremantle.

I disagree.

If it’s a Perth team, I see a lot of the non WCE & Freo fans of other AFL clubs jumping on board, particularly if there is no tie to that clubs location. Then there’s those that are disenfranchised with either WCE or Freo at the time. Freo, well their history is one of disappointment and if a new team came in this year, there would a lot of frustrated eagles fans that might have flirted with something new and fun.

If it’s a South West team I imagine a lot of that region would jump on board even if it’s as a “2nd” team to go to games initially.

South West would be a great spot for a third team. Build a stadium to hold 35 -40k and run it like Geelong does. If you get a good deal on the stadium you can maximise profits through the gate.

Doesn’t need to be that big initially and it shouldn’t be enclosed like Optus.

Find a suitable oval and build some grandstands but make sure to leave some opened terraces and some grass hilled areas. This way it’s easily upgradable to any size in the future by adding grand stands.

Initial size of 20-30k would be plenty

I would never want a 3rd WA Team. I'd like the fact we are the biggest club in the state, and everyone in the state bar Fremantle should be West Coast Eagles fan.

In regards to travelling, I dont really have opinion on it. Its shit but as long as vAFL do the right thing and ensure we have 7 days breaks and manage the break effectively then thats all you can ask for.

But that screengrab actually changed my mind with an extra 2 home games for WCE/FREO then it would really just average out and this whole thing can be put to bed. It will never happen but

1716080949918.png

to be fair the drinks selection at the stadium would be elite

No chance, they'd sell the contract to Asahi and you'd be drinking warm Carlton Draught

Remove this Banner Ad

Back