News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

How fvxkin' predictable is it that the Vics have 3 teams leading the list of most injured players and now all of a sudden the game is too quick and it's giving us feedback that something needs to change. I don't recall anyone calling for an investigation when it was us on our knees for two years, aging, injured, and faced with relentless travel burdens.

😂

From 2001-06 all 6 premierships were won by non-Victorian teams and from 04-06 the GF didn’t feature any Victorian teams

The game was in CRISIS and there were calls for a Royal Commission

In the ensuing 17 years there’s been just 2 Non-Victorian premiers. There’s been at least one Victorian team in every GF and 6 deciders that have been all Victorian (2 of those in the Covid impacted years of 2020 and 2021). Non-Victorian teams are 2-9 in MCG grand finals.

But any talk of a Victorian advantage is dismissed. No crisis here

We’ve gone through two historically bad years of player availability and not once did I see any discussion around that being caused by length of game, reduced breaks, etc. Travel was occasionally brought up along with maybe it was a bit of bad luck but primarily it was something we were responsible for as a club

Now the rules need to be addressed because a couple of big Victorian clubs are having a bad run

FMD

Getting a little bit tired of seeing Sam Maclure’s face pop up every time Harley does something amazing.

Yes it’s hilarious to see him get proven wrong - but I think it’s time we moved past it because the engagement that he gets (which really is the key metric of his role) is keeping him in jobs he really doesn’t deserve on merit. Cue the “he should be playing in Melbourne” call from sometime this week.

Conversely, Sam- you made a sh** call. You clearly thought you had some inside info, probably Harley’s uncle, ran with it, and were wrong. You got called out on said sh** call. You’re not getting tagged in on these things each week if you didn’t double down so much. Just own it.

Getting a little bit tired of seeing Sam Maclure’s face pop up every time Harley does something amazing.

Yes it’s hilarious to see him get proven wrong - but I think it’s time we moved past it because the engagement that he gets (which really is the key metric of his role) is keeping him in jobs he really doesn’t deserve on merit. Cue the “he should be playing in Melbourne” call from sometime this week.

Conversely, Sam- you made a sh** call. You clearly thought you had some inside info, probably Harley’s uncle, ran with it, and were wrong. You got called out on said sh** call. You’re not getting tagged in on these things each week if you didn’t double down so much. Just own it.

1716354721365.png

I'm guessing Dima would've said SFA if he was still coaching Richmond.

Still good to get more of the complaints out there though.

Dimma did say SFA

Except when it came to travelling to Marvel which apparently was the hardest road trip in footy.

I'm guessing Dima would've said SFA if he was still coaching Richmond.

Still good to get more of the complaints out there though.

Yeah funny how players or coaches from Vic change their tune when they go to nonVic clubs. Suddenly, the previously mollycoddled from Melbourne ... go hang on ... yes this is AN ISSUE. Maybe we should push for the AFL to be nonVic based? :)

You forgot:

Plants in the AFL who make sure that Geelong are never stiffed on anything from the MRP to concussion protocols being done by a doctor running and weaving in and out of play. To ticking off things like the bizarre Gold Coast draft pick offer without Geelong giving anything of note and any other numerous "quirks" from AFL house that just happen to be beneficial to them that I've no doubt forgotten.
Don’t forget, the exact same team that got Essendon in trouble for PEDS (Dank & Co) we’re at Geelong when they started winning their premierships in 07 but no investigation has ever been made about that period where they won 3 in a short space of time. ;)

Don’t forget, the exact same team that got Essendon in trouble for PEDS (Dank & Co) we’re at Geelong when they started winning their premierships in 07 but no investigation has ever been made about that period where they won 3 in a short space of time. ;)

I remember Gil got asked once and just brushed it over, something along the lines of “nah, nothing there”. It was so quick it seemed suspect AF

Adding this to the Richmond inaugural, at sime point the past players are going to be like "i came just last month give it a rest"
I might be projecting...

Well you know what I want. I want the forgotten Premiership to be honoured. The one we were most dominant in, 1994.

We always seem to gloss over it. Can’t remember any big hoopla in 2004, 2014 and again in 2024.

That team always just gets lost in the ‘92 glory.

Get the ‘94 boys down!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know this is pay-walled, but I think those that do pay for the work of HB and the team at The Mongrel Punt suggest others do the same.
Great article on Jack Daring

"And there, plonked as the deepest forward – the human crash mat, the big-bodied step-ladder, the bloke that is, and always has been the one to take a belting so the others around him can thrive, Jack Darling is busy doing the dirty work."

😂
The likes of Richmond (15 players injured), Collingwood (14), Carton (13), West Coast (11), Fremantle and Hawthorn (both 10) have been hit the hardest, with Magpies coach Craig McRae questioning whether shortening quarters could be a solution.

Considering the long term relationship between Carlton and Visy cardboard that's a nice Freudian slip by Fox there.

Geelong has no right to question anyone on equality of the competition.

They have a Victorian fixture
True home ground advantage
Away games 1 hour up the road
MCG access for home games vs big ticket VFL teams to make $
Charter flights from Geelong to save on travel
Desirable location to older players who want to escape the city .
Cheaper housing on the surf coast or land plots for players who want space .

You forgot:

Plants in the AFL who make sure that Geelong are never stiffed on anything from the MRP to concussion protocols being done by a doctor running and weaving in and out of play. To ticking off things like the bizarre Gold Coast draft pick offer without Geelong giving anything of note and any other numerous "quirks" from AFL house that just happen to be beneficial to them that I've no doubt forgotten.

Don't forget that their captain is also the head of the AFLPA... Who of no surprise now see this as a critical issue...

The Cats have been masters of dictating the talking points of the competition for a long time. Now, with the game shifting away from their advantage, those voices are aligning to make themselves heard.

The other clubs in the competition (particularly non-Victorian clubs) need to call out this shameless ploy for what it is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back