News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Good interview on 6PR with Simpson on his regular Thursday night appearance

• Gives Adam Papalia a polite clip after his 8th Harley question asking if he’s going to discuss anything else
• Mentions they worked really had on team defence over preseason as a priority over ball movement. Wants to be a hard team to score against
• Bit of praise for Darling’s improved form
• Talks about the gap between our home form and away form. Says the evidence is we’re not a good road team and sounds determined to rectify that
• Yeo was running around like a maniac so he’s good to go. Not too many changes other than Yeo
• Flynn fit enough to play AFL but want to bring him back through WAFL to give him confidence after a significant injury. Won’t be on managed minutes
• Talking about player availability and it nice being able to have good discussions on selection
• Asked about industry wide injury crisis he says it sounds like people are starting to care about it now it’s happening to them
• Says that the league need to look at ways to help with injuries but won’t say specifically as he doesn’t want to shoot from the hip on it but does mention it’d be good if they started listening to the WA clubs on fixturing etc. States they’re not asking to get a competitive advantage but just to even it up a bit

• Gives Adam Papalia a polite clip after his 8th Harley question asking if he’s going to discuss anything else
• Mentions they worked really had on team defence over preseason as a priority over ball movement. Wants to be a hard team to score against
• Talks about the gap between our home form and away form. Says the evidence is we’re not a good road team and sounds determined to rectify that
• Yeo was running around like a maniac so he’s good to go. Not too many changes other than Yeo
• Flynn fit enough to play AFL but want to bring him back through WAFL to give him confidence after a significant injury. Won’t be on managed minutes
• Talking about player availability and it nice being able to have good discussions on selection
• Asked about industry wide injury crisis he says it sounds like people are starting to care about it now it’s happening to them
• Says that the league need to look at ways to help with injuries but won’t say specifically as he doesn’t want to shoot from the hip on it but does mention it’d be good if they started listening to the WA clubs on fixturing etc. States they’re not asking to get a competitive advantage but just to even it up a bit

Dis you go alright in the quiz?

I hope we "rest" bailey when Flynn comes back so Jack Williams stays in

What are they supposed to call them? Is “interstate teams” now a derogatory term??😂
“Are teams outside of Victoria disadvantaged”

That would’ve been a much better way to title it, if you can’t see a problem with the official AFL media that’s supposed to be the neutral Australia wide media labelling teams as interstate then I guess there’s no point discussing it.

Interstate team implies that it’s still a VFL centric game which is not even remotely close anymore

That flog Barrett just can't help himself.

"Izak Rankine is a massive loss for Sunday’s match against Harley Reid and his 22 teammates ..."

What about 'the hypocrisy of Dimma complaining about interstate travel'.
Like yeah he was a flog at Richmond but now that he coaches an interstate club and has had his eyes opened to the inequity of the interstate sides he can't have an opinion?

What are they supposed to call them? Is “interstate teams” now a derogatory term??😂
Non-Victorian for a national audience.

Interstate teams is valid for Melbourne news papers. In the West, interstate teams means anyone outside WA.

Good article from Malthouse re travel affects - he's also calling for a WA voice at AFL house, and for 2 Vic teams to relocate rather than increasing to 20.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interstate teams is valid for Melbourne news papers. In the West, interstate teams means anyone outside WA.

Good article from Malthouse re travel affects - he's also calling for a WA voice at AFL house, and for 2 Vic teams to relocate rather than increasing to 20.
Link?

Pay walled at the West

Take a look at "West Coast Eagles The Next Generation" on facebook - there's questionable opinions on there, but good place to find eagles articles.

"One thing I won’t advocate for is a 20-team competition, because I think the “solution” to the travel issue lies in reducing the number of clubs that call Victoria home.
Sydney was born from the relocation of South Melbourne. Brisbane from the move north of Fitzroy. If the league has any intestinal fortitude, they would relocate a further two Victorian clubs from the Melbourne bubble to other states.
It wouldn’t rectify the issue of travel, but it would go a small way towards balancing the travel ledger.
In the meantime, what is drastically needed at AFL headquarters, is a voice from the West."

You mean the vAFL should not appoint one of plethora of ex Geelong, Collingwood or Richmond players to the executive ranks!

FMD I can see the AFL putting out a nation wide hunt to appoint a WA representative to only announce proud West Aussie Brian Taylor as the voice of the sandgropers

Waalitj Marawar (West Coast) Eagles co-captain Oscar Allen doesn’t rule out playing WAFL​

What are they supposed to call them? Is “interstate teams” now a derogatory term??

Just say “non Victorian” teams…

To say ‘interstate’ communicates a Victorian point of view for what should be a national competition.

For example, in the US the NFL offices are based in New York but would they refer to teams outside of New York as ‘interstate’ in their press releases? Not very likely I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

“Are teams outside of Victoria disadvantaged”

That would’ve been a much better way to title it, if you can’t see a problem with the official AFL media that’s supposed to be the neutral Australia wide media labelling teams as interstate then I guess there’s no point discussing it.

Interstate team implies that it’s still a VFL centric game which is not even remotely close anymore

To say ‘interstate’ communicates a Victorian point of view for what should be a national competition.

For example, in the US the NFL offices are based in New York but would they refer to teams outside of New York as ‘interstate’ in their press releases? Not very likely I guess.

Yeah fair enough I see what you are saying now, the wording doesn’t really bother me personally though , at the end of the day it will always be there game and we as a “non Victorian” team are just privileged to be even a part of it.😂

You said the same as me - you blocking me now R... IntheWings? :p

Just saw this on Fox. Gotta love Isacc Smith! Upload limits prevented me from showing the whole segment but he totally sideswiped the other panelists, went on to say that Melbourne-based players are allowed to rest coming to Perth but Perth-based players can't rest going to Melbourne.

View attachment BP2.mov

Love the AFL/media kicking up constantly about head injuries.
Coaches tell players to keep their head over the ball and players like Rowell take that literally.He only takes his chin off his knee to dispose of the ball. Everybody knows the slightest touch gets you a free kick.
The sheer stupidity of it all is that two players coming straight and fast at each other keeping their heads over the ball can result in catastrophic head clashes . Their was a nasty one the other night.
Brace yourselves coz we are gunna get a shitload more.
By wiping the bump out it discourages players from turning their shoulder into the contest to protect themselves

Remove this Banner Ad

Back